Mulldrifter and Momentary Blink

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can I pay the evoke cost for mulldrifter and respond to it with momentary blink? Would this result in me drawing 4 cards and not having to sac the mulldrifter?
If by "it" you mean the evoke triggered ability: yes and yes.
yes

you can even pray to draw the Momentary Blink with the first 2 cards and still save your Mulldrifter
for that put the Evoke trigger on the stack first, and the draw trigger second.
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yes. The sacrifice trigger from evoke goes on the stack like any other trigger. When you blink Mulldrifter, it becomes a new object. Its evoke cost wasn't paid, so the sacrifice doesn't trigger, but the "draw two cards" does. When the sacrifice trigger from the original Mulldrifter resolves, the game won't be able to find it, so you won't sacrifice anything.
Rules Advisor
no

the sacrifice clause of the Evoke and all other abilities of the mulldrifter would resolve before the momentary blink

I guess I'm wrong

Evoke is not a trigger ability

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]

it is a triggered ability

If you do;
  it's sacrificed when it enters the battlefield.

right

I still think it's a mistakes to compartmentalize spells

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]
read the rules for Evoke, not just the reminder text

they make it very clear that it is a triggered ability

702.72a Evoke represents two abilities: a static ability that functions in any zone from which the card with evoke can be cast and a triggered ability that functions on the battlefield. “Evoke [cost]” means “You may cast this card by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost” and “When this permanent enters the battlefield, if its evoke cost was paid, its controller sacrifices it.” Paying a card’s evoke cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.

no

the sacrifice clause of the Evoke and all other abilities of the mulldrifter would resolve before the momentary blink

I guess I'm wrong

702.72a. Evoke represents two abilities: a static ability that functions in any zone from which the card with evoke can be cast and a triggered ability that functions on the battlefield. "Evoke [cost]" means "You may cast this card by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost" and "When this permanent enters the battlefield, if its evoke cost was paid, its controller sacrifices it." Paying a card's evoke cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e-g.

What does this even mean? 
So ,step by step are :
I cast mulldrifter (by evoke cost) , it resolves ,enter the field.
I put 2 triggered abilities on the stack , "draw 2 cards" and "sacrifies milldrifter".
Then I cast momentary blink target mulldrifter ,after blink resolves , I put another triggered ability "draw 2 cards" on the stack.
After that , those abilities resolve = draw totally 4 cards and since "former" mulldrifter is gone, so the "new" drifter is still on the field.
Am I right? 

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

Yep, that's pretty much it. The Mulldrifter that was returned by the Blink is considered an entirely new permanent that remembers nothing about its previous life, so it won't be sacrificed when the original evoke trigger resolves.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Thanks.

Please autocard , check it on [read this first] - creating a rules thread.

And use lower case c to autocard.

What does this even mean? 

I think he means spells that resolve partly now and partly later, but I guess someone doesn't know exactly what a triggered ability means...

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.