Optimize my character in 3.5

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys. I wanna try making something strange.
He's a druid probably...because he has a pet snake...(if you know a good class with pet capabilities  please nameit)
but i also want to fight with dual scimitar.(for flavor wise)
druid class helps with the poison spells he gets for he uses snakes and the likes.
any feat helping animal companions or dual wielding (or another class)  is welcome to give 

A druid will be stronger, but what you described is basically a ranger. Check them out.

If you want the snake to be better, check out the natural bond feat.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

Wow that works! thnx. I'll stick to druid for the poison spells and the low lvl companion.
I don't know how familiar you are with the game, so this might be a wasted post. But otherwise, I suggest oversized two weapon fighting. (Complete Adventurer). Actually, what I'd do, is take a 1 level (1st level) fighter dip, for the extra feat, and then go 19 levels as druid.

Neue 
If the wild cohort feat is allowed, you can be whatever class you want and still have a good pet snake. 
Ya know, I just had a wild musing...  (pardon the pun on "wild")

What if...

Demon Armor

This plate armor is fashioned to make the wearer appear to be a demon. The helmet is shaped to look like a horned demon head, and its wearer looks out of the open, tooth-filled mouth. This +4 full plate allows the wearer to make claw attacks that deal 1d10 points of damage, strike as +1 weapons, and afflict the target as if she had been struck by a contagion spell (Fortitude DC 14 negates). Use of contagion requires a normal melee attack with the claws. The "claws" are built into the armor’s vambraces and gauntlets.

The armor bestows one negative level on any nonevil creature wearing it. This negative level persists as long as the armor is worn and disappears when the armor is removed. The negative level never results in actual level loss, but it cannot be overcome in any way (including restoration spells) while the armor is worn.

Strong necromancy [evil]; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armorcontagion; Price 52,260 gp; Cost 26,130 gp + 2,090 XP.

(What if) You toned this down a bit? Make it leather armor instead, and name it "moccasin armor"? Say, +1 armor and leather guantlets/gloves that do 1d3 damage and a poison (spell) effect. Shouldn't have to be evil; animals are not. DC should stay low, I like the 14 number, for game balance.

I think that would make a really cool druid wildlife armor, with your snake motif and all. 
@Neue: Two levels of Ranger is a better dip in this case. He loses one more level of casting in return for TWF without needing the prereqs, and still ends up with an animal companion equal to a 19th-level Druid.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
thnx! the armor is not what i am searching for....he is a cutlass or scimitar wielder...dual...with poison enchantment or something
I'm unsure about where the rules changed, but you could just call "corrosive" "poison", for a weapon effect. Nice and simple. I think they took that out of 3.5 from 3.0?  But add a few yaun-ti hilts to your scimitars, and 
Wa-Laaa! 
Yeah Draco, your right. Track too. I hadn't thought it out.
A weapon made from gehennan morghuth-iron delivers a weak poison with each attack for +4,000 gp.  The save DC is only 12, the initial damage is only 1 point of dexterity damage, and attacks with the weapon have a -1 penalty on attack rolls and damage rolls.  

You might be able to get your DM to rule that the assassination weapon enhancement boosts the DC for a gehennan morghuth-iron weapon, even though its poison isn't “applied.” 
I thought there was an unspoken rule here to never, ever help anyone making a character that dual wields scimitars.  I am dissapoint. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Never heard of the "unspoken rule", but when I first got into 3.5 (after a 10 year break since AD&D), I made a dual scimitar druid (half orc!) early on. I took some ribbing for "copying" some famous drow hero that I'd never heard of, never read the book, and never figured out til years later. I assume that must be what you are talking about? 

I thought I was pretty clever. Nevermind that somebody made famous the idea before I thought of it! 

Party on! 
dood, we all make mistakes.  We just shouldn't encourage others to make the same mistakes we've already learned from.  ;)

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

If you want to dual weild Scimitars the only way to really do it is via the Dervish class in CWar.  It is not what I'd call a "druid" PrC however.

Or the Revenant Blade.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
If you want to dual weild Scimitars the only way to really do it is via the Dervish class in CWar.  It is not what I'd call a "druid" PrC however.

Or the Revenant Blade.

You bastards ...

Section Six Soldier

Yeah, but you already knew I was.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
It's kewl.  See, I'll get my revenge when there's eventually a version of D&D that's all Drizzt and nothing else.  You'll see, it'll happen.  And then I'll laugh at your tears.  I will, too. 

Section Six Soldier

Nah, Drizzt just got killed off. Apparently WotC decided that their stellar Customer "Service" department was worth more than the character that's sold more D&D novels than any other.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Did he really finally die?  Wow ... way to bring FR fans back into the fold. 

Section Six Soldier

Depends on how he went, I guess.

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Best defense that I've read in favor of having alignment systems as an option
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

Meh, they said they wouldn't kill off the Realms again to fix it.  Looks to me that if Drizzt's death is legit they kinda maybe totally lied. 

Section Six Soldier

Meh, they said they wouldn't kill off the Realms again to fix it.  Looks to me that if Drizzt's death is legit they kinda maybe totally lied. 

Don't hold your breath, I think they've already had at least one character come back from the afterlife.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Well that's ... lame.  Totes.  Pretty ham-fisted way to show the 'rebirth' of the setting, no?

Section Six Soldier

Who was it?
Btw, I actually liked the way he managed to keep Entreri around; turned him into a shade with no real memory of his former life until he saw Drizzt for the first time in over a century.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
I stopped reading the stuff forever ago, truth be told.  I like to read stuff that's, like, good yanno?  Anyhoo, in the long-long ago when I did read that junk Entreri was my favorite character.  I knew he would die, though, since the main character of the series is an elf and Entreri was a human.  His death and reduction still bothers me, though.  But that's how Salvatore rolls. 

I mean, I still feel it's a really lame way to intro a reboot but this is D&D we're talking about so ...

Section Six Soldier

Actually... Entreri's still alive.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
As a shade, though, right?  Like, that's unalive.  I mean, I identify but there's a pesky stigma ...

Section Six Soldier

Shades are different in Tabletop WoW, I think. They're not undead like they used to be... Of course, I could be wrong, Mr. "I like to DM Tabletop WoW".
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Hey man, $e is way easier to DM.  It's also way more boringer to DM.  Them's just the facts!

Section Six Soldier

So are they undead?
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Shades? no. they're more akin to native outsiders.

==Aelryinth
Fighter vs Warblade analysis http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19573526/Analyzing_the_Fighter_vs_The_Warblade The Lockdown F/20 iconic build http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19856162/A_little_Lock_build_for_you