Burst of speed, charge, running attack, blaster and blade 1 and 3, Long stride work together ?

So !

Heres a character i created, based on action economy logistically, at least to some extent ( or alot ).

Now ill post him up for you guys to see. I need input to what can be used together, as talents and feats and such. Because the rules are written in so bad English it is impossible to interpret what the game designers means in the descriptions. Which Feats/Talents can work together with what Feats/Talents?    

Thx in advance guys !  

LevelClass lvlFeatsBonus FeatsTalentsHpStarting FeatsCrossclassed featsAttributesStartlevel 4level 8level 12level 16Light sideDestinyTotal
1Scout 1Adv.mel.weap.Running AttackLongstride26Pis.Rif.Sim.Sha Strength13114
2Scoundrel 1Dua.wea.fig.1Skirmisher32Trained: Acro.Dexterity14111118
3Scoundrel 2Point Blank Shot38 Constitution13114
4Scoundrel 3Impro.skirmisher44 Intelligence13114
5Scout 2Precise Shot51 Wisdom1111114
6Scout 3Quick DrawSidestep58 Charisma9    1 10
7Scout 4Veh. Com.65 DefensesBaseLevelClassAttributeMisch.Total
8Outlaw 1Sei. the  Mom.72 Fortitude101622130(31)
9Master Privateer 1Dua.wea.fig.2Blaster+Blade 181 Reflex101644134(30-35)
10Master Privateer 290 Will101642132(33)
11Master Privateer 3Blaster+Blade 299 Trained skills
12Master privateer 4Burst of Speed108 initiative
13Master Privateer 5Blaster+Blade 3117 perception
14Scoundrel 4Dua.wea.fig.3123 stealth
15Soldier 1Zero RangeDev.Att:Pist132Trained: Mech.pilot
16Soldier 2Powerful Charge141 survival
17Soldier 3150 endurance
18Soldier 4Instinctive AttackFort.Recovery159 athletics
19Master Privateer   168  acrobatics
Destiny: Rescue +1 dex and strengthLight side: safe house, allies helping +1 charismaTalent: fortunes favordeception
mechanics
a number of questions occur:

Can charge be used together with running attack, blaster and blade 1 and 3, burst of speed and long stride?

Charge doesn't work with Running Attack. When making an attack as part of a charge that ends your turn. I think you could make that part work with the help of the feat: Deaft Charge. As for the rest, I don't know, I will have to check my books...

20801.jpg

Can charge be used together with running attack, blaster and blade 1 and 3, burst of speed and long stride?

No, as MERC mentioned, charge is a special attack. As a standard action, you move in a straight line towards your target, you make an attack, and then your turn ends. That’s it. You can’t keep moving after that with Running Attack.

Now, as for Blaster & Blade 3 and Running Attack. B&B 3 allows making a full attack as a standard action. There have been several arguments on these forums about making multiple attacks as a standard action and Running Attack.

The question is, can you make multiple attacks with Running Attack? For example, move, then attack with blade, then continue moving, then attack with blaster, then finish moving.

Running Attack says,

“When making an attack with a melee or ranged weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.”

There are 2 main lines of thought about this:

1. Making “an” attack means you can only make 1 attack with Running Attack.

2. If you make an attack, you fulfill the requirements to activate Running Attack. You can then make as many attacks you can in a standard action, while moving your speed using Running Attack.

Interpretation #1 is pretty strict and it’s not clear if that was the real intent of the rule. Interpretation #2 is more liberal and the one I prefer. It allows for more creativity.

As for your other feats & talents like Skirmisher, Long Stride, and Burst of Speed, they all work together.

PS: The table that you posted in your first post is making this page very wide. Maybe you can trim it?

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Please try to clean up and condense your stat block.  It's really hard to follow which in turn makes it harder to comment on.  A big part of me wonders what you actually want comments on.  Tell me if this is how your character is supposed to be built:

Human??  Scout4/Scoundrel4/OutLaw1/MasterPrivateer6/Soldier4;  level 19
Abilities:  STR 13 (16th), DEX 14 (4th, 8th, 12th), CON 13 (12th), INT 13 (4th), WIS 11 (8th), CHA 9
Trained Skills:  Iniative, Perception, Stealth, Pilot, Survival, Endurance, Athletics*, Acrobatics (3rd), Deception(4th), Mechanics (15th?)

By level:
Scout 1:  Starting feats; Feats: WP (Advanced Melee), Running Attack; Talent: Longstrider
Scoundrel 1:  Starting Feat: Point Blank Shot;  Talent: Skirmisher
Scrl 2:  Feat:  DWM 1, bonus feat: skill training Acrobatics.
Scrl 3:  Talent:  Improved Skirmisher; New trained skill for INT 14: Deception
Sct 2:  Bonus feat:  Precise Shot
Sct 3:  Feat:  Quickdraw; Talent: Sidestep (TALK WITH GM ABOUT HOUSERULES FOR DIAGONALS!!)
Sct 4:  Bonus feat:  Vehicular Combat
Outlaw 1:  Talent:  Sieze the Moment [1/rd take swift as reaction when ally damages opponent]
MasterPrivateer 1 (FUCG): Feat:  DWM 2:  Talent B&B1
MP2:  special
MP3:  Talent: B&B 2
MP4:  special; Feat:  Burst of Speed [move act' to move twice speed, -1 CT] 
MP5:  Talent:  B&B 3 
Scrl 4:  Bonus feat:  Zero Range
Soldier 1:  Feat:  DWM 3; Talent: Devestating attack (pistol); Starting feat:  Skill Training (Mechanics)* 
Soldier 2:  Bonus Feat:  Powerful Charge [not an available bonus feat!!!]
Soldier 3:  Talent: ?????
Soldier 4:  Feat: Instinctive Attack; Bonus feat:  Fortifying Recovery [GaW]
MP6:  special 

For starters I fixed a couple things in italics, note a couple things that need to be fixed/clarified in bold, and also denoted two relatively common houserules with an *.  

I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing this from the start when you are giving up 3 points of BAB in the first 8 levels although you do gain BAB every level from.  Skirmisher may help a little but you certainly are NOT going to be using DWM anytime early as you may be moving (Running Attack/Skirmisher) which prevents you from making the full attack needed for multiple attacks.  Eventually the Blaster & Blade talents may kick in but Dual Weapon feats only reduce the penalties when made as part of a FULL attack.  B&B 1 works when attacking as a standard action and as the talent says the 'normal' penalties for fighting with two weapons applies; technically this means -10 on both attacks as DWM only applies when making a full attack although most GMs will treat the penalities as -5 or less with the additional DWM feats.  I also have little idea what you hope to do with that single level of Outlaw in there.

This is getting long so I'll stop this one here and then try going for your direct question.

a number of questions occur:
Can charge be used together with running attack, blaster and blade 1 and 3, burst of speed and long stride?

Let's see:
Charge = Standard action allowing restricted movement followed by melee attack. Ends turn.
Running Attack = May MOVE before and after attack with some limits.
B&B1: Attack with AMW as STANDARD ACTION get free pistol attackalthough two-weapon penalties apply.
B&B3: Make Full attack with AMW & Pistol as standard action when using both.
BoS: Move action to move twice speed.
Long Stride: Speed increases +2 squares if wearing light or no armor.

Long Stride should work with everything.

Charge + Running Attack: FAILS. Charging ends movement (see errata).

Charge or Running Attack with B&B talents:  FAIL.  Each of the talents uses a standard action while using Charge or Running Attack only allow an ATTACK to be made. 

Burst of Speed + Charge:  Actually should work if used in the correct order.  BoS uses your move action which still leaves your Standard action available to CHARGE.  BoS also leaves your stand action open to use the B&B feats. 

Hey guys !

Thanks for the input. I have the answers i was looking for now.

ill remake the character build somewhat.

regards 7yph00n
Please try to clean up and condense your stat block.  It's really hard to follow which in turn makes it harder to comment on.  A big part of me wonders what you actually want comments on.  Tell me if this is how your character is supposed to be built:

Yes sorry about the statblock. I just pasted in from excel.

Human??  Scout4/Scoundrel4/OutLaw1/MasterPrivateer6/Soldier4;  level 19
Yes human.
Abilities:  STR 13 (16th), DEX 14 (4th, 8th, 12th), CON 13 (12th), INT 13 (4th), WIS 11 (8th), CHA 9
Trained Skills:  Iniative, Perception, Stealth, Pilot, Survival, Endurance, Athletics*, Acrobatics (3rd), Deception(4th), Mechanics (15th?)

athletics is including swimming and climbing, and acrobatics also includes jump. Those are changed by our GM since the players didnt want to do their picks from trained skills in those 3.

By level:
Scout 1:  Starting feats; Feats: WP (Advanced Melee), Running Attack; Talent: Longstrider
Scoundrel 1:  Starting Feat: Point Blank Shot;  Talent: Skirmisher
Scrl 2:  Feat:  DWM 1, bonus feat: skill training Acrobatics.
Scrl 3:  Talent:  Improved Skirmisher; New trained skill for INT 14: Deception
Sct 2:  Bonus feat:  Precise Shot
Sct 3:  Feat:  Quickdraw; Talent: Sidestep (TALK WITH GM ABOUT HOUSERULES FOR DIAGONALS!!)
I have brought it up on our forums we use for our campaign. The GM didnt want to change it. I assume you are referring to a rule moving on the diagonal as in cost: 1 then 2 then 1 and so on ? ( in cost for the movement i mean )
Sct 4:  Bonus feat:  Vehicular Combat
Outlaw 1:  Talent:  Sieze the Moment [1/rd take swift as reaction when ally damages opponent]
MasterPrivateer 1 (FUCG): Feat:  DWM 2:  Talent B&B1
MP2:  special
MP3:  Talent: B&B 2
MP4:  special; Feat:  Burst of Speed [move act' to move twice speed, -1 CT] 
MP5:  Talent:  B&B 3 
Scrl 4:  Bonus feat:  Zero Range
Soldier 1:  Feat:  DWM 3; Talent: Devestating attack (pistol); Starting feat:  Skill Training (Mechanics)* 
Soldier 2:  Bonus Feat:  Powerful Charge [not an available bonus feat!!!]
The character build allows it in other spots. Ill just do the switcheroonie.
Soldier 3:  Talent: ?????
Didnt decide yet.
Soldier 4:  Feat: Instinctive Attack; Bonus feat:  Fortifying Recovery [GaW]
[GaW]?
MP6:  special 

For starters I fixed a couple things in italics, note a couple things that need to be fixed/clarified in bold, and also denoted two relatively common houserules with an *.  

I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing this from the start when you are giving up 3 points of BAB in the first 8 levels although you do gain BAB every level from. The character starts to be played from level 14 at least, probably 16. Depends when/if my old character dies.  Skirmisher may help a little but you certainly are NOT going to be using DWM anytime early as you may be moving (Running Attack/Skirmisher) which prevents you from making the full attack needed for multiple attacks.  Eventually the Blaster & Blade talents may kick in but Dual Weapon feats only reduce the penalties when made as part of a FULL attack.  B&B 1 works when attacking as a standard action and as the talent says the 'normal' penalties for fighting with two weapons applies; technically this means -10 on both attacks as DWM only applies when making a full attack although most GMs will treat the penalities as -5 or less with the additional DWM feats.  I also have little idea what you hope to do with that single level of Outlaw in there. This is a discussion i will have to have with my GM.

This is getting long so I'll stop this one here and then try going for your direct question.

Thank you for the help Steven.

Yes sorry about the statblock. I just pasted in from excel.

Maybe what you can do is remove the attributes columns and paste it below as a new table.

Fortifying Recovery [GaW]
[GaW]?

GaW = Galaxy at War. He’s telling you which book to find the feat in. We abbreviate the books around here. Ex: FUCG = The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide.

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

So let me get this straight.

I initially thought, that i could have BaB talents, to make 3 attacks as a full round action, without penalties due to 3 dual weapon mastery feats. And do this as a standard action ( instead of a full round ), which would allow me to move 8 squares ( possibly 16 with burst of speed ) close to opponents. Isnt that kind of thing ok when you look at whats invested into the character pickswise ?

Is that correct that i cant ? And if so, what would i be able to do then at what penalties ?  

Id like some input on how the character build should look like. I dont want picks done that dont work well together.  

regards 7yph00n
What i would like to do, is to use a MOVE action, most times, to be able to get to new opponents, to be able to chop and shoot close by. It would seem that either charging, or moving would be the best alternative.

Also, while doing the above, be able to take recover actions with 2 swifts, and get bonus hit points from fortyfying recovery. Thats why i want to add 1 outlaw ( seize the moment ) level.

So let me get this straight.

I initially thought, that i could have BaB talents, to make 3 attacks as a full round action, without penalties due to 3 dual weapon mastery feats. And do this as a standard action ( instead of a full round ), which would allow me to move 8 squares ( possibly 16 with burst of speed ) close to opponents. Isnt that kind of thing ok when you look at whats invested into the character pickswise ?

How are you getting 3 attacks?

B&B 1 says: “When you make a single attack with an advanced melee weapon as a standard action, you can immediately make an attack with a pistol as a free action”

B&B 3 says: “When you are wielding both an advanced melee weapon and a pistol, you can make a full attack as a standard action instead of a full-round action, provided you attack with both weapons.”

I’m not sure you can use B&B 3 to make 2 attacks as a standard action, and then use B&B 1 to get a free attack. B&B 1 specifically mentions making a single attack with the advanced melee weapon. Once you use B&B 3, I'm not sure you can get B&B 1's free attack.

However, a liberal GM may allow it.

What i would like to do, is to use a MOVE action, most times, to be able to get to new opponents, to be able to chop and shoot close by. It would seem that either charging, or moving would be the best alternative.

Yes, I think you’re on the right track. Just remember that charging and multiple attacks don’t work together. It's one or the other.

Also, while doing the above, be able to take recover actions with 2 swifts, and get bonus hit points from fortyfying recovery. Thats why i want to add 1 outlaw ( seize the moment ) level.

The strategy here would be:

Round 1:
-move: move to melee range
-standard: make multiple attacks with B&B 3
-swift: recover

Round 2:
-move: move to melee range. If you’ve already moved, then use swift to recover instead
-standard: make multiple attacks with B&B 3
-swift: recover

PS: Please do something about that table in your first post. It’s making the thread so wide, it makes this so hard to read.

Im really sorry, i tried to look into it, but i dont know how to. When editing i couldnt delete and move things around.

2 attacks would, as you say be possible.

With Deft Charge however, 2 is possible while charging. Deft Charge allows for reactions, free actions and swift actions which is useful. Doing part of the recover after the attack and/or lying down if opponent went down as a protection from shooters. The problem, is having the penalties as in a FULL ATTACK inspite of having DWM feats, which i am not at all excited about. If first MOVING, then CHARGING, and then make the extra FREE ATTACK with pistol ( BaB I ), what would the penalties be? 

What im after, is that i wont want to make charging better with picks, if i indeed get penalties. I might in that case, settle for BaB talents, and make 2 attacks after moving, without FULL ATTACK penalties.
Is this the part where you guys tell me that since the attack is a standard action ( with BaB III ), it takes usual penalties as it would with any action that is a FULL ATTACK, i.e -10 per attack ?( without removing penalties with DWM feats?)
There are 2 parts of the character concept id like to be built in.

1: More than 1 attack per round. This with as little penalties as possible. To hit is king.

2: Burst of speed, fortyfying recovery, seize the moment, longstride, shake it off to be able to move far, and while doing so milking hps and condition back into the character. One swift action per round and maybe one swift action as reaction. That way im up to full condition when my next round starts, and if not ill start with swift to recover the one condition i got last round, as a recover takes 2 swift actions for the character with those feats.

Can you guys help by building the char for me ? I dont know if Blaster+Blade III would be able to do without Full attack penalties with DWM feats I,II and III.

Using this system, feels like stumbling just before the finishing line...  

That being said, as you guys probably realized, im not even close to your level of knowledge of the system. But slowly, im getting there. 

regards 7yph00n.

Im really sorry, i tried to look into it, but i dont know how to. When editing i couldnt delete and move things around.

When editing, go to the very bottom of your post after the table. Use the mouse/cursor to select backwards and highlight the table. Cut (ctrl-X) the table to remove it. If you still have your excel file, you can re-paste the table in sections so that it doesn’t blow up the screen.

With Deft Charge however, 2 is possible while charging. Deft Charge allows for reactions, free actions and swift actions which is useful. Doing part of the recover after the attack and/or lying down if opponent went down as a protection from shooters. The problem, is having the penalties as in a FULL ATTACK inspite of having DWM feats, which i am not at all excited about.

If you have Dual Weapon Mastery 1 and want to use B&B1 or B&B 3, you take a -5 penalty on attacks.

If you have Dual Weapon Mastery 2 and want to use B&B1 or B&B 3, you take a -2 penalty on attacks.

If you have Dual Weapon Mastery 3 and want to use B&B1 or B&B 3, you take no penalty on attacks.

If first MOVING, then CHARGING, and then make the extra FREE ATTACK with pistol ( BaB I ), what would the penalties be? 

I don’t think this is compatible. A charge is a special standard action: You move and make a melee attack. I don’t think you can use a charge attack to activate B&B 1’s free attack.

However, a liberal GM may allow it.

I meant if DEFT charge was a pick on my char ?

Oh right come to think of it , i understand what you mean, a special standard action. Not a standard action that a free attack can be included in.   

my bad, but i get it know. 

7yph00n
1.  When I suggested talking to the GM about the diagonal rules I was refering to using the 1..2..1..2 (or 1.5 square) counting method.  It is pretty easy to do and also a LOT closer to mathematically correct than either the 1 or 2 square diagonal options.

2.  When I was looking at this build I didn't see where you'd do a switch-a-roo with Powerful Charge.

3.  I have no real probelm with "blank" spaces in character builds as they leave room for improvement and on the fly adaptation.  I also abbreviate some things to aid in using them or saying where to look for them.

I thought I've already gone over how some of your things will interact way back in post #6.  Looking at your build I see nothing that will allow it to make THREE attacks although B&B3 could allow it if you happen to have double or triple attack with either the AMW or pistol.  Charging does NOT work with B&B as it is its own standard action.  Burst of speed does allow you to move a LOT further with a Move action but that extra speed doesn't help anywhere else although you could double move with it which is almost like running except you move down the CT yet have a swift action to use.

Although you may not want to hear in SAGA isn't really good for making multiple "actual" attacks each round while doing other things.  Part of that is simply because attacks can deal so much damage.  I'm certainly NOT a fan of B&B as it requires you to be in melee range with someone and your extra attacks need to come with a different weapon which has its own drawbacks. 

If you’re interested in making multiple attacks, you should look at the Accelerated Strike feat (Knights of the Old Republic page 32). It allows you to make a full attack as a standard action once per encounter.

If you take the Recurring Success feat (Galaxy of Intrigue page 28) then you can use it twice per encounter.

I think ive found a way to make 2 attacks now, while moving and little penalties. And alot of damage. This is an alternative way of building the character i was talking about. But more puristic in terms of build. What i also like, is that he isnt too weak for close combat. its a good way for a gamemaster to show some close combat mongrel in otherwise. I dont appreciate too much weakness in a character build. I took away the movement increasements as well as the recover action efficiency.

AttributesStartlevel 4level 8level 12level 16Light sideDestinyTotal
Strength1010
Dexterity151111120
Constitution1414
Intelligence141116
Wisdom9110
Charisma10  1  112
DefensesBaseLevelClassAttributeMisch.Total
Fortitude10162230
Reflex10164535(30)
Will10164 30    

LevelClass lvlFeatsBonus FeatsTalentsHpStarting FeatsCrossclassed feats
1Scoundrel 1Adv Mel WeapPrecise ShotSneak Attack 120PBS, Pist, Simple 
2Scoundrel 2Quick Draw26 
3Scoundrel 3Weapon FinesseSkirmisher32 
4Scoundrel 4Vehic Combat38 
5Scoundrel 5Sudden Strike44 
6Scoundrel 6Wea Foc PistZero range50 
7Scoundrel 7Sneak Attack 256 
8Soldier 1Tough as Nails65skill: survival
9Outlaw 1Dua Weap Mas 2Long stride72 
10Master Privateer 1Blaster+Blade 181 
11Master Privateer 290 
12Master Privateer 3Rapid ShotBlaster+Blade 299 
13Master Privateer 4108 
14Scoundrel 8Dua Weap Mas 3114 
15Master Privateer 5xBlaster+Blade 3123 
16Gunslinger 1Trigger Work130 

Destiny: Rescue +1 Dex and ChaTalent: fortunes favor

Trained   skills
initiative
perception
stealth
pilot
acrobatics
deception
persuasion
use comp ( lvl 8 )
survival ( lvl 8 )
yeah thanks richter, if the BaB III talent dont work ( without penalties from DWM feats) for chopping +shooting ( standard ) + moving ill go for those 2 feats instead i think.
yeah thanks richter, if the BaB III talent dont work ( without penalties from DWM feats) for chopping +shooting ( standard ) + moving ill go for those 2 feats instead i think.

Using Dual Weapon Mastery 3 with Blaster and Blade results in no penalty on attacks.

do you mean with blaster and blade 1 and 3, or just blaster and blade 3 ? i just want to know for certain.
do you mean with blaster and blade 1 and 3, or just blaster and blade 3 ? i just want to know for certain.

I'm going to say both of them.

Before I picked up my book and actually looked a B&B 1 I would have said there was NO penalty for making the "free" pistol attack but further on it says that you would apply the penalties for dual wielding.  When I think the default maybe should be "no penalty" with B&B 1 I'm certainly open to having DWM lower the penalty taken to use it.

With B&B 3 it can be argued that DWM definitely applies as the talent still calls for a "full attack" even if it is letting you take it as a standard action.

The Blaster and Blade Talents all say that dual-wielding penalties apply to both (all) attacks.  The talents also require DWM I, so the penalty will only be -5 to begin. 

Both. I also wrote up how all the penalties interacted with all the DWM feats and B&B talents in my previous post #16.