Mystic Rapture save penalty duration?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Entrancing Mystic level 11 feature (Mystic Rapture) says: "Each enemy that enters a space within 3 squares of you or that starts its turn there takes a -5 penalty to saving throws against charm effects and a -2 penalty to all other saving throws."

No duration is stated.  The intent of the rule seems to be that they suffer that penalty until the end of their turn, but what about the rule as written?  Read literally, it seems to say that they suffer the penalty forever, as long as once in their life they entered a space within 3 squares of me or started their turn there.

As an example: an enemy in round 1 starts its turn within 3 squares of me, and it suffers the saving throw penalty in that round.  Fine.  During my next turn I move further away from it, so that in round 2 it starts its turn more than 3 squares from me, and it doesn't come any closer on its turn.  By RAW, does it suffer the saving throw penalty in round 2?

Thanks. 

The penalties end when the creatures recieving them no longer meet the conditions - as soon as they enter the area and until they leave, they get the penalties. If the creature starts it's turn not in the area and doesn't move into it, it doesn't recieve the penalties.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

The penalties end when the creatures recieving them no longer meet the conditions - as soon as they enter the area and until they leave, they get the penalties. If the creature starts it's turn not in the area and doesn't move into it, it doesn't recieve the penalties.

This seems not even RAI, as it implies that if an enemy walks to within 3 of me and then walks back away (so that it is further than 3 from me) as part of the same move action, it won't receive the penalty at the end of its turn.
RAW the save penalty effectively has no duration and need errata.

In the meantime, i would make it last until the start of it's next turn like Skirnex's Entropic Gibbering for exemple.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Okay, thanks.  Isn't there a rule somewhere that says something like that if the duration of a condition is unspecified then it's save ends?  I forget, though.
Not that I can think of.  Seems clear to me that the RAI is that the penalty would apply until the creature starts a turn outside of the affected area.
Yes, that seems right.