Different Version Problems

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So this hasn't become an immediate problem yet but I can sense that it might become an issue soon or in the near future. My very close friends and I started playing D&D about two years ago. Two of them had played before with someone else and his father, both of whom are now also good friends, but they had played very few times, so they were still new to the game. Anyway we got into it and bought the supplies, such as the 4th edition players handbook 1 and monster manual 1, and for about two months we played with simplified 4th edition rules, races, and classes. The other kid, the one who played with my two friends and his father and lets call him Mike, joined us and exposed us to the original D&D. I was not impressed and enjoyed 4th edition. My friends on the otherhand were more intrigued but stayed with 4th edition. Mike just decided to DM for those two months since he was more knowledgeable with the game. It was going fine and I then moved away. It has been a year and a half I havent played since I moved back about a week ago. They on the other hand, have played with the Mike and his father and have switched to strict 1st edition rules. I didn't know this and went out and bought the second players handbook. My old character is still packed away from moving so I created a Goliath Invoker cause I was really liked the race and class. When I showed them my character, class, and powers they sayed that it was stupid and I was OP. I understand that 1st edition characters and monsters have way less health and power range but I was still a little hurt and upset. But yet one of them still uses his Dragonborn Paladin from 4th edition. They choose to ignore this for some reason. They havent outlawed my character or anything but I can sense that they are a little unerved by his presence. It's not like I'm killing things in one hit either. I do average damage and have average health. I even scale back my powers to please them.

I especially noticed it today when I went to Mikes house for a D&D party. His father was DMing and I could see he was a little concerned when I syaed my race. Then when I said my armor class was 3 or 4, I can't remember exactly, he asked me how that was possible since I was a mage. I told him I wasn't a Mage but a Invoker and that allowed me to wear chainmail. I even let him see the class page in the PH and he still said I was restricted to cloth robes, dropping my armor class to 9. I was a little pissed off and needless to say my character had the crap beat out him by the monsters and almost died on many occasions, but I understand that it is within the DM's power to change a players character to what they deem fair so I bit my tongue, also it was his house and I thought it rude to argue with him there. Now I'm asking you guys what you think of my prediciment. I really enjoy D&D 4th edition beause it just seems to have a more rich character selection and customization while 1st edition seems very restrictive and bland, I think of it as sort of "old fantasy" with kind of cliche monsters and characters. The main reason for this thread is because I'm worried I'll be forced to choose a 1st edition character. But who knows maybe I'm just being unfair and stubborn towards 1st edition. I'd really appreciate some outside imput, I havent voiced my concerns with my friends yet. Sorry for a long post, I'm very wordy.
They best thing for everyone may be to check out dnd next, you can get the playtest materials for free.
It's similar to 1st/2e but has a lot of updated rules that appeal to more modern players (like it's d20 instead of thaco).

Having said that, i adore 4e, and don't really next at all.
But it seems like you don't really have a lot of choices for a game, so this may be your best compromise.

And (like i said) it's free. 
D/L it, try it.
The worst that happens is you lose a few hours, and honestly, isn't that the point of the game anyway?

FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
Offer to DM a 4e Campaign.
Mixing editions like that doesn't really work. Offer to DM 4, or make a 1st ed character. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

It sounds like you'd be better off looking for a 4E group, even if that means finding new people to play it with. You're unlikely to be happy with a 1st edition game in the circumstances you've described.
I understand that it is within the DM's power to change a players character to what they deem fair

No, it is not. You were right not to be rude, but the DM shouldn't just change your character.

Your group needs to step back and have a Session 0, where you all get on the same page before trying to play. Put your cards on the table.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

GAH!  This board has now eaten my response twice and I'm getting really angry.  Third times a charm, maybe...

My old character is still packed away from moving so I created a Goliath Invoker cause I was really liked the race and class. When I showed them my character, class, and powers they sayed that it was stupid and I was OP.

This makes very little sense.  Some versions of D&D rules are almost perfectly interchangeable - 1E and 2E for example.  But to bring a 4E character into a 1E game just can't happen.  The way characters are built, the way combat works... it's all just WAY too different.  It's possible to create a 1st edition character that might be LIKE your 4E character, but to call it stupid and overpowered is like comparing apples and oranges.  They may both be fruit and have seeds but they're otherwise built so differently that you can't compare them directly.

I understand that 1st edition characters and monsters have way less health and power range but I was still a little hurt and upset. But yet one of them still uses his Dragonborn Paladin from 4th edition. They choose to ignore this for some reason.

The only way this makes a lick of sense is that they have SOME kind of conversion process between the editions - or some odd way to have 4E characters and their abiltiies fit into a 1E game.  I don't see that as anything but the WILDEST, most bizzare thing to have done but that's the only way it makes sense.

They havent outlawed my character or anything but I can sense that they are a little unerved by his presence. It's not like I'm killing things in one hit either. I do average damage and have average health. I even scale back my powers to please them.

I'm just totally flummoxed by this.  HOW the hell does one play a 4E character under 1E rules?  Is there a house rules document we could look at that explains how this works?  Or is the DM just making it up as he goes?

I especially noticed it today when I went to Mikes house for a D&D party. His father was DMing and I could see he was a little concerned when I syaed my race. Then when I said my armor class was 3 or 4, I can't remember exactly, he asked me how that was possible since I was a mage. I told him I wasn't a Mage but a Invoker and that allowed me to wear chainmail. I even let him see the class page in the PH and he still said I was restricted to cloth robes, dropping my armor class to 9.

Making less sense all the time.  You showed him a class in the 4E players handbook for a character you're playing in a 1st Edition game?

I was a little pissed off and needless to say my character had the crap beat out him by the monsters and almost died on many occasions, but I understand that it is within the DM's power to change a players character to what they deem fair so I bit my tongue, also it was his house and I thought it rude to argue with him there.

No, it's not the DM's right to change rules for your character class WHILE YOUR PLAYING IT (apparantly because he hadn't been bothered to READ it...).  Is he playing WITHOUT rules altogether, again, making things up out of thin air as he goes along?  There are a few games that work that way but D&D isn't supposed to be one of them.  The DM can change the rules but it's a VERY poor DM who lets a player mix editions this way without having some EXTENSIVE documentation as to how the hell it works.

It's rude to argue in the middle of the game, perhaps - but it is not in the least rude to wait until after the game to ask what the hell is going on.  What edition ARE you playing?  How does the mix of rules from one edition work with the other at this table?  Is there a conversion document?  This just makes no sense.

The main reason for this thread is because I'm worried I'll be forced to choose a 1st edition character. But who knows maybe I'm just being unfair and stubborn towards 1st edition. I'd really appreciate some outside imput, I havent voiced my concerns with my friends yet. Sorry for a long post, I'm very wordy.

I would personally disagree with your assessment of 1E, but if your assessment of 1E is based on this kind of DMing I can understand why.

Your biggest problem, and the first thing you need to fix, is to discuss this with your friends and especially with the DM of the game you're playing.  There are some HIGHLY wierd things happening here that need to be explained in detail.  If 4th Edition characters are allowed in (and in fact somehow function in) this supposedly 1st Edition game you should be supplied with a document that explains just how the freak that actually works.  If there are conversions being done for 4E characters that needs to be documented and explained - or at least performed before you start playing a race or class, not in the middle of the game when the DM suddenly decides he doesn't like your AC.  If the DM is mixing rules and making them up on the fly then I suggest you step away from this game entirely.  What you're describing is something that experienced DM's would be unlikely to try to inflict on experienced players, much less those who are still relatively new to the game.

If the DM is going to allow 4th Edition characters in this absolutely unique game that he's running then it is UNFORGIVEABLE that he does not know the rules for the class and race that YOU are using to play the game much less have not carefully informed you of the rules that HE is going to be using to run it.  To ask you your characters armor class, you tell him, he questions how you got that AC, you show him the PH you're using that tells YOU what the rules are, and then he just says, "No I'm deciding that it doesn't work that way anymore"...  I just can't express how poor a move that is for him to make.

Everyone at the table should be using the same rules from the SAME edition.  Anything borrowed from different editions (other than prehaps the aforementioned 1E-2E compatibility) should have written house rules explaining specifically what's allowed, what isn't, and most importantly of all - how it all supposedly works together.  Without that then you need to ask that everyone at the table be using the same rules.

In the end you're almost certainly going to be better playing a 1st Edition character in a 1st Edition game because at least then you have written rules that you can rely on.  If you're caught up with mixing rules from one edtion and another then you're far more likely to have rules changed on you at any moment because there ARE no rules to formally play two editions at once.  Given what you've described, however, I think it's likely you're still not going to be happy in a "mixed edtions" game like this and you should find a different game to play in or start your own using the rules you prefer.

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

Mixing editions like that doesn't really work. Offer to DM 4, or make a 1st ed character. 

I disagree.  You CAN blend editions. 
But the OP & the DM should sit down & discuss the character, the abilities, etc ahead of time rather than the OP just showing up to an edition X game with an edition Y character.

If that's not possible, or nothing can be worked out?  The OP should make a 1e character if they plan to stay in that game.
The OP should also seek out a 4e group.  Afteral, there's nothing that says you can't play two different editions....  

I disagree.  You CAN blend editions.  

You CAN do whatever you want. That doesn't mean it works or is a good idea.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

Play a Goliath Priest or Specialized Mage.