Blocked non flyer becoming a flyer

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have a creature that gets blocked by a non-flying creature and I cast an instant what gives it flying after it has been blocked, does the damage pass the creature or still hit the creature or become null?
Once a creature is blocked, it stays blocked all combat. It doesn't matter if it gains more abilities or if its blockers leave combat. It's still blocked. It and its blocker(s) will deal combat damage normally.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Nothing changes. The block was legally declared, so it's still happening. The attacking creature will deal damage to the blocking creature and vice versa.
I believe this is incorrect. The "assign blockers phase" would not have ended, a creature without flight flight would now be illegally assigned to block. 

506.4a Once a creature has been declared as an attacking or blocking creature, spells or abilities that would have kept that creature from attacking or blocking don’t remove the creature from combat.

The blocked creature would still be in combat but not blocking. Please state source if otherwise. 
I believe this is incorrect. The "assign blockers phase" would not have ended, a creature without flight flight would now be illegally assigned to block. 
 506.4a Once a creature has been declared as an attacking or blocking creature, spells or abilities that would have kept that creature from attacking or blocking don’t remove the creature from combat.

The blocked creature would still be in combat but not blocking. Please state source if otherwise.
The source of our (correct) ruling is the rule in your post.

Rules Advisor

This is the rule you're looking for:

509.1b The defending player checks each creature he or she controls to see whether it’s affected by any restrictions (effects that say a creature can’t block, or that it can’t block unless some condition is met). If any restrictions are being disobeyed, the declaration of blockers is illegal. A restriction may be created by an evasion ability (a static ability an attacking creature has that restricts what can block it). If an attacking creature gains or loses an evasion ability after a legal block has been declared, it doesn’t affect that block. Different evasion abilities are cumulative. 

Minor, additional correction. Declaring blockers is a step in the combat phase, not a phase of its own.
There are some catch-all answers on this message board, and "once it's blocked, it's blocked" is one of them.

Minor, additional correction. Declaring blockers is a step in the combat phase, not a phase of its own.

Thanks to all.  I feel a lot has changed since teaching Magic during the guru days, especially appreciate official rule backing (not just "rules advisor" as a sig).
This rule has never been different. Even back in alpha, if a creature was declared a blocker, giving it flying later didn't change anything. There were some other things you could do that you can't do today (like tapping creatures to prevent their damage), but removing blockers.

If you've been on a long hiatus (which is what your post sounded like), we have a thread documenting all rules changes from every year, color-coded by importance.

RULES PRIMER FOR RETURNING PLAYERS

Rules Advisor