Daoud's Wondrous Lanthorn for 4e

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
My group just completed Tsojcanth, and I'm wondering how to incorporate Daoud's Wonderous (sic) Lanthorn, the Prison of Zagig, and the Demonomicon into our 4th edition campaign.  Any ideas on conversions? 
Looking at the original adventure, I would probably keep all the gem fuel requirements for the Lanthorn's powers, but limit the big powers to dailies. The rest would be encounters. It should probably be an Epic tier artifact. A 1E Prismatic Spray (IMO) would probably be best represented by the 19th level sorcerer daily Prismatic Explosion, possibly making it a blast 3 or even 5 in place of a burst 1 at range. I would go with level +3 for the attack, as it's still pretty powerful even on a miss. Prismatic Sphere would probably port over to the 29th level wizard daily Prismatic Wall, once again going level +3 for attacks.

For the rest..."Hold" would be ranged 5, immobilized save ends; "Haste" close burst 3, gives allies 1 additional move action on their next turn; "Color Spray" would be the level 3 wizard encounter attack; "Rage" ranged 5, 1 creature, slide up to 3 squares and make a basic melee attack against an enemy of wielder's choice; "Flame Strike" as the level 9 cleric daily attack (make this a daily); "Confusion" as the level 7 wizard encounter attack Phantom Foes (daily). I would probably go with level +6 for these attacks, as they are sub-Epic tier. 

As far as its healing abilities go, probably allow those resting nearby to get back 1 additional healing surge after an extended rest, and mimic the effects of the Cure Disease ritual with a 30+ for the result. It should also eliminate any special poisons the DM comes up with that use the disease track (which I have done a few times...)

Oh, and I should probably say that all of the above assumes the owner has all 7 lenses. Missing lenses should probably require research, the Enchant Item ritual, and many thousands of gold to craft. Say...525,000 each? As far as working it into your campaign, it should have some sort of goals as well. Probably something to do with illuminating certain truths. Note that it also makes the owner paranoid and possessive of the thing. 

I don't think that would be too game breaking for an artifact. The big powers are limited to dailies (indeed, I would allow the use of *one* of them per day only) and the high fuel cost will probably make the PCs a little conservative with the "big guns." 

I would probably make the Prison of Zagyg a plot device. Make the command include the target's "true name," requiring a lot of research (skill challenges, gold) in order for it to be used and make the power a daily attack. I would say ranged 5, level +6 vs. Will, with the effects as described. That way the PCs can use it against the "big bad" of a given scenario, provided they have enough prep time, without making it an "instant kill" item. Hey, gives them the chance to take down a powerful enemy in one shot. That's pretty cool. 

As far as the Demonomicon...probably a ritual book that's indestructible. It really doesn't have any powers apart from the spells and the commands for the Prison of Zagyg, so it's more of a story item than anything else.

Hope that all helps! Now I am gonna have to do this in *my* game at some point...Laughing

Looking at the original adventure, I would probably keep all the gem fuel requirements for the Lanthorn's powers, but limit the big powers to dailies. The rest would be encounters. It should probably be an Epic tier artifact. A 1E Prismatic Spray (IMO) would probably be best represented by the 19th level sorcerer daily Prismatic Explosion, possibly making it a blast 3 or even 5 in place of a burst 1 at range. I would go with level +3 for the attack, as it's still pretty powerful even on a miss. Prismatic Sphere would probably port over to the 29th level wizard daily Prismatic Wall, once again going level +3 for attacks.

For the rest..."Hold" would be ranged 5, immobilized save ends; "Haste" close burst 3, gives allies 1 additional move action on their next turn; "Color Spray" would be the level 3 wizard encounter attack; "Rage" ranged 5, 1 creature, slide up to 3 squares and make a basic melee attack against an enemy of wielder's choice; "Flame Strike" as the level 9 cleric daily attack (make this a daily); "Confusion" as the level 7 wizard encounter attack Phantom Foes (daily). I would probably go with level +6 for these attacks, as they are sub-Epic tier. 

As far as its healing abilities go, probably allow those resting nearby to get back 1 additional healing surge after an extended rest, and mimic the effects of the Cure Disease ritual with a 30+ for the result. It should also eliminate any special poisons the DM comes up with that use the disease track (which I have done a few times...)

Oh, and I should probably say that all of the above assumes the owner has all 7 lenses. Missing lenses should probably require research, the Enchant Item ritual, and many thousands of gold to craft. Say...525,000 each? As far as working it into your campaign, it should have some sort of goals as well. Probably something to do with illuminating certain truths. Note that it also makes the owner paranoid and possessive of the thing. 

I don't think that would be too game breaking for an artifact. The big powers are limited to dailies (indeed, I would allow the use of *one* of them per day only) and the high fuel cost will probably make the PCs a little conservative with the "big guns." 

I would probably make the Prison of Zagyg a plot device. Make the command include the target's "true name," requiring a lot of research (skill challenges, gold) in order for it to be used and make the power a daily attack. I would say ranged 5, level +6 vs. Will, with the effects as described. That way the PCs can use it against the "big bad" of a given scenario, provided they have enough prep time, without making it an "instant kill" item. Hey, gives them the chance to take down a powerful enemy in one shot. That's pretty cool. 

As far as the Demonomicon...probably a ritual book that's indestructible. It really doesn't have any powers apart from the spells and the commands for the Prison of Zagyg, so it's more of a story item than anything else.

Hope that all helps! Now I am gonna have to do this in *my* game at some point...

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions. 
If I did the Demonomicon it would be a Tome Implement similar to a summoner's Tome. It would have the following spells based on level (you could tell the wizard that to penetrate the secrets she may attempt a ritual that material component costs the same as an upgraded tome):

Level 10: 
Summon Imp
Summon Succubus
Level 20:
Summon Black Devourer (there isn't an appropriate spell at this level)
Summon Vrock
Level 30:
Summon Marilith
Summon Balor 

In addition under the properties line I would add that the character can add the enhancement bonus to Monster Knowledge Checks about creatures with the Demon Keyword.
I actually see that the Demonomicon was an item introduced in the Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos. It's pretty powerful giving one summon an encounter a +2 to hit, +6 to damage but it doesn't work as well with the Demon summoning spells introduced in Dragon 385
Sign In to post comments