Need help building deck from this pool of cards

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Got this exact pool of cards and need to buidl the best 60 card deck I can. Help out if you can with your suggestions or deck:
 [ c]   [ /c]

Swamp:

Fatal Blow x2
Devour Flesh
Doomsday
Enfeeblement
Urborg Syphon-Mage
Vile Rebirth
Midnight Recovery
Raise Dead
Syphon Soul
Sangrophage
Bog Wraith

Bog Rats
Feral Shadow   

Mountain:

Goblin Shortcutter
Goblin Elite Infantry
Giant Strength
Highland Berserker
Balduvian Barbarians
Orcish Oriflamme
Arcane Teachings
Stone Rain
Bomber Corps
Bogardan Rager
Spellgorger Barbarian
Liberated Dwarf
Firemaw Kavu
Boil

Forest:

Fertile Ground
Fold Medicine
Nantuko Tracer
Nullmage Advocate
Tranquility
Might Weaver
Trained Armodon
Serpentine Kavu
Aether Web
Scaled Wurm
Vastwood Gorger
Ooze Flux

Gorilla Chieftain

Island:

x3
Wormfang Drake x2
Spell Blast x3
Phantasmal Terrain x2
Snapback x2
Drifter il-Dal x2
Psychic Venom
Boomerang x2
Unsummon
Inspiration x2
Cancel x3
Paralyzing Grasp
Remove Soul
Soulsworn Spirit
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Voidmage Prodigy
Sapphire Drake
Encrust
Daring Apprentice
Cunning Wish
Mana Short
Tidal Surge
Spell Rupture
Gaseous Form
Annul
Clockspinning
hapless Researcher
Lumengrid Warden
Dream Cache
Storm Crow
Vodalian Serpent

Blind Seer
Last Thoughts
Wind Spirit
Stormscape Apprentice
Memory Lapse
Ior Ruin Expedition
Vedalken Entrancer
Augur of Bolas

Plains:

Venerable Monk x3 
Narrow Escape x2
Hold the Gates
Fortify
Silvercoat Lion
Vivilant Sentry

Celestial Crusader
Azorius Justiciar
Ray of Revelation
Prismatic Strands
Celestial Dawn
Circle of Protections: Green
Circle of Protection: White
Circle of Protection: Black
Erase
Blinding Beam
Cagemail
Tempest of Light
Regal Unicorn
Sunscape Apprentice
Zealot il-vec
Tundra Wolves
Guardian Lions
Wall of Swords
Capashen Unicorn
Warclamp Mastiff
Ekundu Griffin
Armored Pegasus
Crusader of Odric
D'Avenant Archer
Seller of Songbirds
D'Avenant Healer
Healer of the Pride
Knight of Glory x2
Divine Transformation x2
Armageddon
Day of Judgment
Kor Skyfisher
Ajani's Sunstriker
Shepherd of the Lost
Chastise
Pacifism

Artifact:

Trading Post
Icy Manipulator
Iron Star
Trailblazer's Boots
Thought Prison
Viridian Longbow
Skull Catapult
Vulshok Battlegear
Dimir Keyrune
Millstone
Bottle Gnomes
Crystal Rod
Wizard Replica
Frogmite
Khalni Gem
Nim Replica
Krark's Thumb
Clockwork Condor

Multi-Color:

Vectis Dominator x2
Offering to Asha x2
Mistvein Borderpost
Intimidation Bolt
Wojek Halberdiers
Trace of Abundance
Cerodon Yearling
Galina's Knight
Stormcaller's Boon
Vassal Soul
Etherwrought Page
Sen Triplets
Brainbite
Filigree Angel
Ethersworn Shieldmage
Arsenal Thresher
Ethercaste Knight

Lands:

Plains x16
Island x14  
Swamp x11
Mountain x3
Forest x0
Kabira Crossroads
Soaring Seacliff
Vault of Whispers
Dimir Guildgate
Piranha Marsh
Nantuko Monastery
Geothermal Crevice

This is the deck I currently have built:

Drifter il-Dal
Boomerang
Inspiration
Cancel x3
Paralyzing Grasp
Remove Soul
Soulsworm Spirit

Voidmage Prodigy
Sapphire Drake
Encrust
Daring Apprentice
Cunning Wish
Mana Short
Spell Blast
Wormfang Drake x2
Lost in Thought x2
Knight of Glory x2
Divine Transformation x2
Armageddon
Day of Judgment
Kor Skyfisher
Ajani's Sunstriker
Shepherd of the Lost
Chastise
Pacifism
Silver Myr
Icy Manipulator
Trading Post
Soaring Seacliff
Kabira Crossroads
Plains x10
Island x13
Welcome to the boards, polarcrest!

Always strive to autocard your posts, as autocarding nets you more and better replies.  To autocard, simply place a properly spelled and punctuated card title between [ c][ /c] (without the spaces), so that [ c]Forest[ /c] becomes Forest.

This is extra important when lots of lesser known cards are in the post.

As for your post's content, that is an interesting pool of cards.  Is there a story behind how that pool came about?  I'd love to hear it.

From a quick skim, it appears you've done the best you can with what you have, although without autocarding, it is hard to be sure.  Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir is particularly potent and useful.  You may need more card draw, not that you seem to have much to choose from.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I'll get to work editing the posts to make the cards linked. For the pool, it was an initial few packs and add an another pack every month. These are a collection of trades and antes also. It's for a MTG league.
All cards linked properly. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Gonna bump, really could use some advice/help.
The problem is there are so many cards here people dont wanna go through it. So try this. Build a deck from these cards. Or build a few. Find a deck you like or a style you like and post it here. Then we can help to perfect it.

On a side note: Building a deck is the most fun part of this i think. I get an idea and then i have to make it work. If you dont find enjoyment from making a deck then why play magic at all? Nothing wrong with asking for help i do it a lot on here. But you cant expect people to build YOUR deck   
He has a deck at the bottom of his post. 

Regarding that deck...

Got this exact pool of cards and need to buidl the best 60 card deck I can. Help out if you can with your suggestions or deck:

Drifter il-Dal
Boomerang
Inspiration
Cancel x3
Paralyzing Grasp
Remove Soul
Soulsworm Spirit

Voidmage Prodigy
Sapphire Drake
Encrust
Daring Apprentice
Cunning Wish
Mana Short
Spell Blast
Wormfang Drake x2
Lost in Thought x2
Knight of Glory x2
Divine Transformation x2
Armageddon
Day of Judgment
Kor Skyfisher
Ajani's Sunstriker
Shepherd of the Lost
Chastise
Pacifism
Silver Myr
Icy Manipulator
Trading Post
Soaring Seacliff
Kabira Crossroads
Plains x10
Island x13

I would rework it into a heavier control shell...  I hope you can play countermagic well.

Land 24
Plains x12
Island x10  
Kabira Crossroads
Soaring Seacliff

Creatures 16
Drifter il-Dal x2
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Voidmage Prodigy
Daring Apprentice
Hapless Researcher
Lumengrid Warden
Vodalian Hypnotist
Vedalken Entrancer
Augur of Bolas
Stormscape Apprentice
Azorius Justiciar
Kor Skyfisher
Sunscape Apprentice
Bottle Gnomes
Wizard Replica

Noncreatures 20
Boomerang x2
Inspiration x2
Cancel x3
Remove Soul
Cunning Wish
Ior Ruin Expedition
Tempest of Light
Divine Transformation x2
Armageddon
Day of Judgment
Chastise
Pacifism
Trading Post
Icy Manipulator
Vulshok Battlegear

The Kor Skyfisher can bounce any permanent, which is useful with Enter Battlefield effects.  Voidmage Prodigy now has lots of things besides itself it can sacrifice to counter a spell.  Your win cons are small guys that slip through, boosted with Battlegear and Divine Transformation - AFTER you clear a path!  Cunning Wish can fetch up several other cards as needed, notably Erase.  I want to squeeze Wall of Swords into the deck, but am unsure what to clear out... Tempest of Light, maybe, if enchantments are not an issue in your games.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
They way this works is the deck evolves month to month based on what new cards I get from a random pack and antes per match. I have so many cause I'm doing well so I win a lot of cards. At the bottom of my original post I have built a deck. It is almost completely different from what I started with 5 months ago. 

Just looking for advice on what others would do. Based on the land that I have my options are limited. Been trying to build up my land pool but that hasn't been easy. 

He has a deck at the bottom of his post. 

Regarding that deck...

Drifter il-Dal
Boomerang
Inspiration
Cancel x3
Paralyzing Grasp
Remove Soul
Soulsworm Spirit

Voidmage Prodigy
Sapphire Drake
Encrust
Daring Apprentice
Cunning Wish
Mana Short
Spell Blast
Wormfang Drake x2
Lost in Thought x2
Knight of Glory x2
Divine Transformation x2
Armageddon
Day of Judgment
Kor Skyfisher
Ajani's Sunstriker
Shepherd of the Lost
Chastise
Pacifism
Silver Myr
Icy Manipulator
Trading Post
Soaring Seacliff
Kabira Crossroads
Plains x10
Island x13

I would rework it into a heavier control shell...  I hope you can play countermagic well.

Land 24
Plains x12
Island x10  
Kabira Crossroads
Soaring Seacliff

Creatures 16
Drifter il-Dal x2
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Voidmage Prodigy
Daring Apprentice
Hapless Researcher
Lumengrid Warden
Vodalian Hypnotist
Vedalken Entrancer
Augur of Bolas
Stormscape Apprentice
Azorius Justiciar
Kor Skyfisher
Sunscape Apprentice
Bottle Gnomes
Wizard Replica

Noncreatures 20
Boomerang x2
Inspiration x2
Cancel x3
Remove Soul
Cunning Wish
Ior Ruin Expedition
Tempest of Light
Divine Transformation x2
Armageddon
Day of Judgment
Chastise
Pacifism
Trading Post
Icy Manipulator
Vulshok Battlegear

The Kor Skyfisher can bounce any permanent, which is useful with Enter Battlefield effects.  Voidmage Prodigy now has lots of things besides itself it can sacrifice to counter a spell.  Your win cons are small guys that slip through, boosted with Battlegear and Divine Transformation - AFTER you clear a path!  Cunning Wish can fetch up several other cards as needed, notably Erase.  I want to squeeze Wall of Swords into the deck, but am unsure what to clear out... Tempest of Light, maybe, if enchantments are not an issue in your games.

Cheers!

Thx for the input...few questions.

why Vodalian Hypnotist ? Did you meen to splash in swamp at all?

Also...cards like Shepherd of the Lost                      why wouldn't you suggest him?

I do think I need the extra card draw and you seem to have seen that too.  
I was looking more for wizards, rather than what they do.   Running BUW would be tough, but doable.   

How are you working ante?  Top card of each deck or each player puts up a card from their pile?

Also, given the range of cards in your pool, I am curious about the league's initial start and how/when new packs are pulled into the pool.

Cheers!

In the beginning it was a 6th edition tourney pack and 3 Alara Reborn. We could not pull any cards (including lands) from out of that pool so basically everyone was playing a 5 color deck. I was very lucky with my pool and went BUW because of Sen Triplets                    and Etherwrought Page                   
Etherwrought Page so the health gain was too much.

12 players...each month play each person two games. Ante one card from pool each game or top deck for the ante. Can make 3 trades per month. Get a new pack per month. Next month M11 is being introduced...hoping for platinum angel or another Day of Judgement 
Haha I can't believe I didn't read this card properly Voidmage Prodigy                    . I thought it was sacrifice himself...not just "A Wizard" That card just got amazingly better. I'll have to hunt for some wizards in my antes.

Having only one though...is it wise to center my deck around it? If I had a few more then of course...but I think I would be denied power to get the wizards out there. But of course...If I ever did get him alone with a hefty amount of wizards I could shut the game down.

To also add....swamp and mountain is heavily used by others. 
What an incredibly long-lived league!  That certainly explains the variety of cards.  Out of curiousity, does the person with the most wins per month get to pick the set the next pack comes from?   Also, I see you limit your trades - are they rarity for rarity (like a common for a common) or is based on whatever both parties feel "right?" 

Anyhow, Etherwrought Page had too much lifegain?  What?

Honestly, it appears that, barring opening some awesome off-color card, sticking to one deck strategy (UW control, maybe splashing B) and constantly trying to improve it is the best long-term strategy.  So focusing on those colors (especially draw and removal) could help.

Now you have me thinking about league play, although we'd probably each start with a Fat Pack from a specific core set (whatever is plentiful, though I must say I really liked M11 - too bad it is out of print and growing harder to find) and gradually add boosters dictated by the monthly winner.  That really sounds like fun.  Hmmm....

You said M11 shows up next: Crystal Ball, Preordain, and Aether Adept will all help your deck directly.  If you go away from the wizards theme to a UW flyers theme (doable), then you still have lots of variety.

Good luck!

Cheers!

All the sets were "supposed" to be set in stone before the beginning of the league to prevent the people running it to change the set (even on a subliminal level) to suit them. That sadly has changed. Prices and availability have forced a few changes.

Originally each trade had to be approved by 2/3 of the league judges for fairness to keep a player from helping another player to win. The grand prize is a $400 mox. We have since dropped that rule and just trade without approval.

If you are wanting to do a league like this let me know and I could tell ya what we have done and the rules. This was our first go at it so I can for sure tell you what worked at what didn't.

I am looking forward to M11. There is A LOT of potential for my deck there.

Now I agree to build on what I have been given and already built BUT...at the end, the top 6 players go into a best out of 3 tournament setting. Top player gets the Mox. So even at the end if I'm in 6th place I have a chance to get first. SO, what I am trying to build is a specific deck per player to side in. Decks can be altered before the match (which I DO NOT agree with but those are the rules) So I'm attempting to get as many protection cards as possible such as knight of glory and the circle of protection cards.

and yes Etherwrought Page                  plus 3 venerable monks was WAY to much for anyone to handle. I would keep gaining health till I stabalized then I would begin doing 1 point of damage every turn. It was tedius but it worked. Back then the format was very slow and everyone had all 5 colors. It was a creature based format and I had a lot of control. So I would lock the game down so they couldn't attack and then just slowely kill them. Out of the 22 games I had to play I lost a total of 4 I think. The ones I lost were bad luck mana screw games.
Sign In to post comments