The Mortis Engine (Help or Tich please)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I decided to make a Mono-Black deck focused on repetitive sacrifices for value.

The deck-list that popped to mind, and what I'm working with at the moment is:

Unassuming victims:

Back-stabbers:
[deck]
4 Carrion Feeder
4 Nantuko Husk
4 Viscera Seer
3 Skullclamp
[/deck]
Grinning on-lookers:
[deck]
4 Blood Artist
4 Mortician Beetle
4 Skirsdag High Priest
3 Grave Pact
[/deck]
Lands: (20)
[deck]
1 Crypt of Agadeem
19 Swamp
[/deck]

What do you think I should cut and add? My budget stops at 7$ per card.

No infinite combos, s'il vous plait.

Since this is multiplayer i've always loved to use syphon mind for a ton of draw. 

In my opinion you have no recursion so elixir of immortality could help. 

I too play in a group where infine combos are kind of outlawed. Too many time have I had to find a way not to go infinite.

I'd drop the Nantuko Husks in favour of more try-not-to-die. 12 sac outlets is pretty steep, and having one in play is enough. Replace it with, uh, Abyssal Gatekeeper or Scavenger Drake! Losing the Zombier won't help Gravecrawler though. Skirk Ridge Exhumer is a Zombie, and would play pretty well with the deck.

Oh, and you have 41 nonlands to 19 lands. That ain't a good ratio; go for 40%. 36 nonlands to 24 lands is the benchmark. This deck has a low curve so it might be able to get away with 22/38, but really it wants as much mana as it can get so I'd stick with 24/36.
Thank you for the feedback.

As alluring as Syphon Mind seems, four mana in a deck that more often than not faces 2 opponents max, and that tries to get away with as little lands as possible is not something I'd like to invest in. Skullclamp gives me all the card draw I need, and here I can drag in your second segment infamado; I really only need two lands in my opening hand to go off. Three will keep me going far into the game, and at the time I draw Skullclamp, all hell breaks loose. That said, Attrition seems superfluous, so I'll cut that for another land. That puts me at twenty, which means every third card in my opening hand is likely to be a land, and three lands being what I need...

I'll also pass on Elixir of Immortality, as it completely neuters the Crypt and makes me playing Gravecrawlers, Reassembling Skeletons and Bloodghasts look silly.

The only reason why I play Nantuko Husk over Bloodthrone Vampire is that Nantuko Husk turns on Gravecrawler, as you insinuated. Their abilities play so nice together that I would be hard felt to remove the Husks unless I discovered another cheaper method that is also a Zombie. Abyssal Gatekeeper does seem nice, but I fear it makes my "T1 one-drop; T2 Skirsdag High Priest; T3 Two-drop, Viscera Seer -> Sac, tap, demon" early strategy rather difficult. After that though, it could be a possible piece, but I do not see what to cut for it. Scavenger Drake is way to expensive for its effect in this deck, and I think Skirk Ridge Exhumer, although a reasonable Zombie, is too slow.
No infinite combos

Okay, maybe pawn of ulamog? It makes chumps, adds mana, and each one has a built in sac engine.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
I did manage to unearth one of those. I'll test him out, cutting one of my Skeletons, I think.
Hmmm... the newly spoiled card Dark Prophecy does seem a nice edition to this deck indeed.

What it does

BBB
Enchantment 
Whenever a creature you control dies, you draw a card and lose 1 life.

What should I cut for it though? 
Dark Prophecy looks good!
...provided you have ways to gain enough life not to make it's drawback unhealthy.
The biggest drawback, is that is no *may* in the cards text, meaning you draw a card regardless and lose life quickly.  Everytime you sac or cop an opponents Day of Judgment you also take a hit.  As soon as it hits the table, everyone else is gonna twig on the fact that chump blocking hurts you from now on.
Maybe some Thrull Parasite

I'd look hard at Buried Alive to get some meat quickly too.
Something else I've found incredibly useful in a sac deck is some sweeper's > They don't effect you much, so get a couple Black Sun's Zenith in there to kill the weenies, bugger the cold-eyed killers down to pansy eyed mummys' boys, and completely munt the indestructible player no-one likes.
Some Oversold Cemetary could be useful to get back your life-gainer's too.

As to what to drop?
Man... besides Skullclamp, your *backstabbers* in post#1 all look average, and this is why.
The biggest thing I'd be mindful of;
Grave Pact is kinda unfun to play against. So get ready to get stomped out! 
Whenever I play my Pact deck > the whole table just alpha strikes me until I'm dead.
 Cos if they don't I'll almost certainly deny them the ability to attack with anything and eventually cast a massive Exsanguinate for the win (via Pawn of Ulamog & Ashnod's Altar).
So;
That in mind...
I'd look to a full 4 Reassembling Skeletor's in there. You need chumps that can block, this is a seriously useful card in long games, one of my fave black creatures.  I'd also want a few "don't attack me" style cards too, like a Vengeful Pharaoh or two (No Mercy wannabe), maybe even something you may not wanna sac, like Wall of Souls to make sure a player thinks twice before they attack you with their +20/+20 Taurean Mauler etc. 

oh btw - Dimir House Guard finds Pact for ya.  
And I would really want a single Lightning Coils in there too.  That card is a bastard against anyone with a creature sweeper in hand!  

Good Luck. 
Sign In to post comments