Dragon 424 Compilation

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
D&D Insider ArticleDragon 424  
Compilation

By Steve Winter, Bruce Cordell, Ari Marmell, Sterling Hershey, Robert J. Schwalb, Ed Greenwood

When you look at a dragon, you instantly see its size and power. What you don’t see but should be equally frightened of is its dark, inscrutable intelligence. This month, meet the avalanche dragon and the typhoon dragon, the dragon that never died -- plus, earning achievements, and Martek and the Desert of Desolation!

Talk about this magazine here.

This is the way the edition ends, not with a bang but a whimper.  Frown
Oh, to be fair, the article on achievements is pretty good. I was intrigued by the concept of outlining what goes on in adventurers' "down time" in game terms as hinted at in the latest Next preview (despite my firm resolution NOT to switch away from 4e), and I'm glad to see something, however partially realized, for this game. At the very least, it gives me something to work with and develop more fully on my own.

And it's nice to get some more catastrophic dragons in the game, no? Even if they are milking the material over two issues...
Not terribly impressed with next month's mag either. Although optional combat rules are good, the ones mentioned (critical fumbles, rolling for defense, disarming) aren't. I'd rather they'd write about something that streamlines combat. 

Seems the flow of any usable player content has finally dried up for this edition. 
Man I'm glad I'm no longer paying for this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not paying for this. I'm paying for the Character Builder and the Compendium, which still give me my money's worth.
I'm a fan of the elemental dragons.  I've been wanting to do some stuff with them for a while now.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

There's some great stuff here, but sadly not enough to keep me subscribed. This issue plus the upcoming dungeon issue with only 2 adventures was the final straw for me, I have switched off the autorenew. My subscription is good until September so maybe something awesome will happen between then and now but I doubt it.

Money is tight and I can no longer justify spending my money on DDI. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not paying for this. I'm paying for the Character Builder and the Compendium, which still give me my money's worth.

Character builder stopped being worth it  for me when it went online.

Compendium was indeed nice, though I much prefer 3.x/pf's srd.    
Shouldn't the Bestiary be in Dungeon?!

Also, is this the first month without any player content at all?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Has anyone implemented the Achievements system from this issue yet? How has it turned out in your game? How have you made it work? Do you have any examples from your game?
Sign In to post comments