6/17/2013 Draft Simulator

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Better than last week.  R/G aggro with a splash of black.  I did not end up with a good curve.  Perhaps I should have taken a reckless brute or two.

Round 1: Chandra, the Firebrand Flinthoof Boar Duskdale Wurm Searing Spear Spiked Baloth Prey Upon Flinthoof Boar Titanic Growth Ranger's Path Ground Seal Farseek Goblin Arsonist Revive Hydrosurge Island

Round 2: Timberpack Wolf Rancor Dragon Hatchling Timberpack Wolf Rummaging Goblin Quirion Dryad Spiked Baloth Titanic Growth Volcanic Strength Dragonskull Summit Serpent's Gift War Falcon Glorious Charge Fog Swamp

Round 3: Public Execution Yeva's Forcemage Chandra's Fury Spiked Baloth Prey Upon Goblin Arsonist Torch Fiend Smelt Craterize Krenko's Command Naturalize Ajani's Sunstriker Kindled Fury Bountiful Harvest Plains

My deck:

Goblin Arsonist

Goblin Arsonist

Torch Fiend

Flinthoof Boar

Flinthoof Boar

Timberpack Wolf

Timberpack Wolf

Quirion Dryad

Dragon Hatchling

Yeva's Forcemage

Rummaging Goblin

Spiked Baloth

Spiked Baloth

Spiked Baloth

Chandra, the Firebrand

Duskdale Wurm

Rancor

Prey Upon

Farseek

Searing Spear

Titanic Growth

Titanic Growth

Chandra's Fury

Public Execution

Dragonskull Summit

7 Mountain

7 Forest

1 Swamp

Hey I'm a new player. I just bought my first cards a couple of weeks ago and did my first draft at this past weeks FNM I'm trying to get better any tips. Here's what I drafted in the simulator. 

Round 1:
Chandra, the Firebrand
Flinthoof Boar
Farseek
Searing Spear
Yeva's Forcemage
Goblin Arsonist
Flinthoof Boar
Reliquary Tower
Ranger's Path
Ground Seal
Krenko's Command
Goblin Arsonist
Fog
Forest
Island

Round 2:
Fervor
Canyon Minotaur
Dragon Hatchling
Timberpack Wolf
Fog
Quirion Dryad
Plummet
Titanic Growth
Volcanic Strength
Dragonskull Summit
Serpent's Gift
Wall of Fire
Island
Fog
Swamp

Round 3:
Primal Clay
Reckless Brute
Chandra's Fury
Spiked Baloth
Prey Upon
Goblin Arsonist
Torch Fiend
Bond Beetle
Bond Beetle
Krenko's Command
Serpent's Gift
Phylactery Lich
Kindled Fury
Forest
Plains

Deck List
Creatures
Flinthoof Boar X2 (2)
Goblin Arsonist X2 (1)
Dragon Hatchling X1 (2)
Spiked Baloth X1 (4)
Reckless Brute X1 (3)
Quiron Dryad X1 (2)
Canyon Minotaur X 1 (4)
Primal Clay X 1 (4)
Timberpack Wolf x 1 (2)
Torchfiend x 1 (2)

Other Spells
Searing Spear X1 
Chandra's Fury X1
Chandra, the Firebrand X1
Fog X1 
Volvanic Strength X1
Fervor X 1 
Krenko's Command X 2 
Farseek X 1
Rangers Path X1
Plummet X 1 

7 forest
10 mountain

Round 1:
Chandra, the FirebrandDivinationDuskdale WurmDuskdale WurmDivinationCrusader of OdricFlinthoof BoarTitanic GrowthRanger's PathDuressFarseekGoblin ArsonistReviveHydrosurgeIsland

Round 2:
Mindclaw ShamanBladetusk BoarVampire NighthawkTimberpack WolfArchaeomancerQuirion DryadTitanic GrowthSunpetal GroveMwonvuli Beast TrackerRancorReviveWall of FireDisentombFogSwamp

Round 3:
SwitcherooMindclaw ShamanChandra's FuryRummaging GoblinRanger's PathAugur of BolasTormented SoulRing of XathridRanger's PathKrenko's CommandMind SculptTricks of the TradeKindled FuryBountiful HarvestPlains

2x Duskdale wurms and 2x Mindclaw Shaman definitely means R/G ramp. I'd be one to splash blue for 2x divinations, Switcheroo and Augur of Bolas to go without Titanic Growths and get more potential from Quirion Dryad and Chandra.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Deck 1. 1 Chandra, the Firebrand, 3 Krenko's Command, 1 Searing Spear, 2 Mind Sculpt, 2 Archeomancer, 2 Mindclaw Shaman, 1 Rise from the Grave,  1 Vampire Nighthawk, 1 Switcheroo, 1 Jace's Phantasm, 1 Augor of Bolas, 2 Welkin Tern, 2 Zombie Goliath, 1 Giant Scorpion.

Round 1:
Chandra, the Firebrand
Mind Sculpt
Mind Sculpt
Searing Spear
Archaeomancer
Rewind
Zombie Goliath
Negate
Walking Corpse
Blood Reckoning
Krenko's Command
Goblin Arsonist
Fog
Hydrosurge
Island

Round 2:
Mindclaw Shaman
Dragonskull Summit
Vampire Nighthawk
Canyon Minotaur
Archaeomancer
Krenko's Command
Welkin Tern
Giant Scorpion
Tricks of the Trade
Zombie Goliath
Duty-Bound Dead
Zombie Goliath
Hydrosurge
Fog
Swamp

Round 3:
Switcheroo
Mindclaw Shaman
Rise from the Grave
Welkin Tern
Jace's Phantasm
Augur of Bolas
Torch Fiend
Ravenous Rats
Ravenous Rats
Krenko's Command
Dark Favor
Phylactery Lich
Kindled Fury
Bountiful Harvest
Plains
Deck 1. 1 Chandra, the Firebrand, 3 Krenko's Command, 1 Searing Spear, 2 Mind Sculpt, 2 Archeomancer, 2 Mindclaw Shaman, 1 Rise from the Grave,  1 Vampire Nighthawk, 1 Switcheroo, 1 Jace's Phantasm, 1 Augor of Bolas, 2 Welkin Tern, 2 Zombie Goliath, 1 Giant Scorpion.

And here is draft #2

Round 1:
Public Execution
Bloodhunter Bat
Servant of Nefarox
Walking Corpse
Zombie Goliath
Duty-Bound Dead
Zombie Goliath
Mind Rot
Dark Favor
Blood Reckoning
Giant Scorpion
Goblin Arsonist
Fog
Hydrosurge
Island

Round 2:
Crippling Blight
Dragonskull Summit
Vampire Nighthawk
Knight of Infamy
Bloodhunter Bat
Bloodthrone Vampire
Bloodhunter Bat
Bloodhunter Bat
Vile Rebirth
Giant Scorpion
Duty-Bound Dead
Zombie Goliath
Disentomb
Show of Valor
Swamp

Round 3:
Public Execution
Murder
Rise from the Grave
Phylactery Lich
Servant of Nefarox
Cower in Fear
Tormented Soul
Tormented Soul
Ravenous Rats
Crippling Blight
Dark Favor
Spiked Baloth
Kindled Fury
Bountiful Harvest
Plains

Deck #2 I prefer deck #2
2 Public Execution, 1 Murder, 2 Crippling Blight, 4 Bloodhunter Bat, 2 Servant of Nefarox, 2 Giant Scorpion, 2 Duty-Bound Dead, 2 Tormented Soul,
1 Vampire Nighthawk, 1 Knight of Infamy, 1 Dark Favor, 1 Zombie Goliath, 1 Rise from the Grave. 17 Swamps
What does everybody think?

Didn't even do it on purpose.
Archaeomancer x3
Augur of Bolas
Chandra, the Firebrand
Divination
Encrust
Jace's Phantasm
Kraken Hatchling
Krenko's Command x2
Mind Sculpt x3
Rewind
Rummaging Goblin
Searing Spear
Switcheroo
Torch Fiend
Turn to Slag
Vedalken Entrancer x2
Wind Drake
10 Island
7 Mountain
I'm happy that the Rag Man art description won. That seemed like the most interesting one. Although I would like to see the Season of the Lich art concept on a different card--that seemed cool, if not quite fitting for the YTMC card.

Not sure why this thread is full of draft decks.
Because it's actually the thread for the Monday Draft Simulator from last week. It's mislinked at the bottom of the article.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

This does not look like the You Make the Card 4 Art Results page. So nice of them to have not fixed it after 3/4 of the day so far.

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Should we create a YMtC thread for those of us that want to discuss it?
Sign In to post comments