Moar Cantrips Please?

One of the things I ran into with my 4th edition games was that the list of powers, especially At-Will powers, kept increasing but most PCs were stuck choosing only two.  So I decided everyone should get a 3rd at-will if they were going to keep releasing cool powers.  In a group of friends with no interest in playing absurd broken characters it worked out just fine.

I think a general plea for more cantrips would be weak sauce, so I have a more specific request.  Every caster should be get their "tricks" spell for free.  Wizards get Prestidigitation, Druids get Druidcraft, and Clerics get Thaumaturgy.  These spells are specifically designed to be cool little flavor and tricks.  They should totally be free.  Getting these spells for free is my sine qua non.

What I would ask for is for cantrips to be eligible for "spontaneous casting" so they can be cast without preparation in any daily spell slot.  I understand that this gets dicey with classes that rely on their cantrips instead of weapons such as Wizards and Druids.  Giving the Wizard Ray of Frost, Magic Missile, and Mage Armor for free is different than giving him Mending, Prestidigitation, and Light.  But I think these more roleplaying oriented spells really only get mileage if your player is creative.

Vampire Class/Feat in 2013!

I prefer Next because 4E players and CharOpers can't find their ass without a grid and a power called "Find Ass."

I think a general plea for more cantrips would be weak sauce, so I have a more specific request.  Every caster should be get their "tricks" spell for free.  Wizards get Prestidigitation, Druids get Druidcraft, and Clerics get Thaumaturgy.  These spells are specifically designed to be cool little flavor and tricks.  They should totally be free.  Getting these spells for free is my sine qua non.

I'd agree with that. I would also say that Read Magic needs to be free (or else fold Read Magic into Detect Magic, that would work too.) Perhaps Light as well.

What I would ask for is for cantrips to be eligible for "spontaneous casting" so they can be cast without preparation in any daily spell slot.  I understand that this gets dicey with classes that rely on their cantrips instead of weapons such as Wizards and Druids.  Giving the Wizard Ray of Frost, Magic Missile, and Mage Armor for free is different than giving him Mending, Prestidigitation, and Light.  But I think these more roleplaying oriented spells really only get mileage if your player is creative.

You mean, like a wizard who didn't know the Mage Armor cantrip could cast it anyway by using a spell slot? Interesting idea.

And your Dungeon Master is cooperative.

Danny

The idea of cantrips are that you've cast the spell so many times that it's now a part of you. You know the magic inside and out and it requires nothing more than a flick of the wrist now.

I couldn't imagine it working all that well, but it would be cool if as you get to high levels the low level spells can become cantrips. Say you're level 20 and you've cast magic missles 500 times. Doing something like this would either require nerfing of spells as you got to high levels to move them to the cantrip slot, or require a ridiculous amount of bookkeeping. Neither of which I'm interested in...although the general idea I like.

I agree with the "roleplaying" spells. My wizard really only uses straight damage spells, which is fine, but it's somewhat disappointing to me. I know there's so many cool things possible with magic...*le sigh*
I don't see any reason why you should be limited to two to four cantrips for the netirety of your Wizarding career. You should be able to learn them just like any other spell. I think Pathfinder did cantrips a lot better, you could prepare a certain number of 0-level spells per day and cast those at-will.
While the jury is still out with me when it comes to combat and heal cantrips, I do like the idea of some free "trick" spells that add flavor to the game. 

As for combat and heal spells as cantrips, well, I'm a bit old-school so I am just not sure yet. given more time they will probably grow on me. 

One thing is for sure: cantrips should be 'easy' spells that require little to no concentration on the part of the caster. As an example, I have started to feel that Ray of Frost should have its damage scaled back a tad in order to be cast at will.

I'm totally down for all wizards getting prestidigitation for free, all clerics getting thaumaturgy for free, and all druids getting druidcraft for free.

Seems right. 

Danny

If Shield is now a reaction I think it should be a cantrip and get rid of Mage Armour altogether, although the idea of conjuring armour made of shadow for a level scaling AC bonus appeals to me graduating from shadow scale to shadow plate.  I think the armour should be dispelled when you are bloodied though rather than have a time limit.
Big yes for the thematic spells to be free.

I dont like the spontaneous casting idea (its too open IMO), but wouldnt mind at all if a player wished to Prepare a cantrip he hasnt picked and cast it using a daily spell slot.
If Shield is now a reaction I think it should be a cantrip and get rid of Mage Armour altogether, although the idea of conjuring armour made of shadow for a level scaling AC bonus appeals to me graduating from shadow scale to shadow plate.  I think the armour should be dispelled when you are bloodied though rather than have a time limit.

Perhaps Shield should be the cantrip, and Mage Armor the 1st level spell, and their AC bonuses reversed. The only problem with Shield being a cantrip is that it would make Wizards essentially immune to Magic Missile.

Perhaps Shield should be the cantrip, and Mage Armor the 1st level spell, and their AC bonuses reversed. The only problem with Shield being a cantrip is that it would make Wizards essentially immune to Magic Missile.

Only if they have a reaction and maybe rule that it breaks concentration too.
I too would like to see more cantrips, both learned and avalible.
Sign In to post comments