Character Builder 4th Edition Support

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all

I tried searching to avoid asking a question that's already been asked but there are a TON of threads and I couldn't find what I was looking for after a few pages on a couple of different searches.  My apologies if this is a duplicate!

I want to try out the Character Builder to manage my wife's character - her sheet would be a lot easier for her if it listed her rolls exactly instead of how I've laid them out for her (2[W] +dex becoming 2d10 +5)...

I assume the Character Builder still supports 4th Edition since Next isn't out yet, but has there been any info released on how long to expect it to work?  I would hate to spend money on a 3 month or year subscription only to have it not work for me in a couple of weeks or months.

Thanks in advance! 
It will most certianly last through the year.  Up until D&DN is finished with the Beta, has a real name, and is on store shelves (I'm assuming at least six months to a year from now at best); don't expect the character builder to go anywhere.  I just slapped down money for a 3 month subcription to get my by over summer with my gaming group.  Depending on how things go by September, I may re-up for another three months. 

Long story short:  you'll be fine until at least Christmas or next summer.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Great, thanks... I think I just needed some reassurance!  ^.^
There is no official word on how long D&D Insider will continue to support the 4E game.  However, I would be very surprised if 4E support stopped before D&D Next is officially released.  There is also no official word on when D&D Next will be released, but I would be very surprised if it happened before GenCon (August) 2014.  Connecting those two educated but unofficial guesses together, I would be surprised if D&D Insider stopped supporting 4E before GenCon (August) 2014.

WotC doesn't have a very good track record on this.

WotC stopped support for the 3E Character Builder (E-tools) about a year before the release of 4E, several 3E books still came out after that.

Star Wars Saga Edition is by far the best RPG that Wizards of the Coast has ever published.

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

Sign In to post comments