Character Builder 4th Edition Support

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all

I tried searching to avoid asking a question that's already been asked but there are a TON of threads and I couldn't find what I was looking for after a few pages on a couple of different searches.  My apologies if this is a duplicate!

I want to try out the Character Builder to manage my wife's character - her sheet would be a lot easier for her if it listed her rolls exactly instead of how I've laid them out for her (2[W] +dex becoming 2d10 +5)...

I assume the Character Builder still supports 4th Edition since Next isn't out yet, but has there been any info released on how long to expect it to work?  I would hate to spend money on a 3 month or year subscription only to have it not work for me in a couple of weeks or months.

Thanks in advance! 
It will most certianly last through the year.  Up until D&DN is finished with the Beta, has a real name, and is on store shelves (I'm assuming at least six months to a year from now at best); don't expect the character builder to go anywhere.  I just slapped down money for a 3 month subcription to get my by over summer with my gaming group.  Depending on how things go by September, I may re-up for another three months. 

Long story short:  you'll be fine until at least Christmas or next summer.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Great, thanks... I think I just needed some reassurance!  ^.^
There is no official word on how long D&D Insider will continue to support the 4E game.  However, I would be very surprised if 4E support stopped before D&D Next is officially released.  There is also no official word on when D&D Next will be released, but I would be very surprised if it happened before GenCon (August) 2014.  Connecting those two educated but unofficial guesses together, I would be surprised if D&D Insider stopped supporting 4E before GenCon (August) 2014.

WotC doesn't have a very good track record on this.

WotC stopped support for the 3E Character Builder (E-tools) about a year before the release of 4E, several 3E books still came out after that.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

Sign In to post comments