MtG Artist.... to be or not to be?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello there!

My name's Chris Rallis and I'm a freelance illustrator.

I'm looking for a break into the industry. Creating fantasy and horror illustrations is what I love to do. 
Working for WotC would be awesome and I'd like to be a member of this company's roster of artists.
So I thought I'd post here. Please find attached some samples. Feel free to check out my website for more artwork.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, your comments and advice are welcome.

www.rallisart.com

I checked out your website, and I have to say, some of your art could defenitly be on magic cards. Certain peices look a little...to realistic, if you know what I mean, but alot of it is really sweet. But on magic cards, you mite have to refrain on the amount of boob you show.
Hi froofroo,

Thank you for replying.
What you said is engouraging. I started doing fantasy art seriously just over a year ago. Before that I was working as a freelance illustrator for advertising agencies. That was far from creative though. So I decided I should change my career and that coicided with my moving to the UK.
The thing is, I don't know how to get in touch with one of MtG's art directors to get some feedback.
I've tried sending a sample to Artdropreply. But no luck. I guess there are dozens of portfolios submitted every day, so mine wouldn't have a chance being noticed. Is there another way of drawing MtG's attention?

www.rallisart.com

Hi froofroo,

Thank you for replying.
What you said is engouraging. I started doing fantasy art seriously just over a year ago. Before that I was working as a freelance illustrator for advertising agencies. That was far from creative though. So I decided I should change my career and that coicided with my moving to the UK.
The thing is, I don't know how to get in touch with one of MtG's art directors to get some feedback.
I've tried sending a sample to Artdropreply. But no luck. I guess there are dozens of portfolios submitted every day, so mine wouldn't have a chance being noticed. Is there another way of drawing MtG's attention?

There is information on the wizards of the coast website. 
I don't mean to sound impatient or take advantage of your courtesy. So please bear with me.
I reckon you're talking about the information found here. Like I said I've already sent an email to Artdrop and I received an automated reply.
My current state does not allow to attend a convention. So I guess I'd have to wait for a response to the e-mail I've send or try again in the future.
Does that make sense?

www.rallisart.com

Your best bet is to keep sending in pieces.
Showing that you're commited to getting their attention will do a lot, but you do have to accept that it might be quite some time before you hear anything back from them.

Every once in a while Jeremy Jarvis, the art director for the brand, will swing by, but it might be a poor idea to try to contact him directly. It shows initiative, but it might just bug him. I can't say for certain.

But definitely continue to send in pieces.
Hi Barinellos,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.
I'll keep on sending pieces and wish for the best then.

www.rallisart.com

I actually ment this, but I dont see artist open
I actually ment this, but I dont see artist open

Perhaps I didn't make this clear in the first place. I'm not looking to work for WotC as an employee. I was just hoping  to make art for Magic: The Gathering or D&D as a freelance artist.

www.rallisart.com

Hurrah violence and/or nudity! You've got some killer work there. I love the one in your avatar.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
Ok, yeah, you're certainly talented enough for the job. 'Crossing the Marshes' could have easily be printed on something akin to Kindercatch, and it would look far superior to some of the other works I've seen on cards.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
Thank you guys! I'm glad you like my work. Cheers!

www.rallisart.com

Hey do you do custom drawings?
You're clearly talented Chris. Also, your username inspired me to watch The Room again last night. So thank you. For that. As for the remainder of my comments - despite all of them being remarkably positive - they shall remain in my pocket.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Wow man....Better art than I've seen on a lot of cards TBH. Awesome work dude! I don't know enough about the art industry to really say this, but I could easily see your work in League of Legends, The Witcher, Project Eternity, basically any fantasy game or book or whatever.

Awesome!!! Seriously nice stuff.

I'm actually in a very similar position as you are, right down to the working freelance/graphic and deciding it made me unhappy creatively -- then making the shift into serious fantasy illustration.  Sent samples to artdrop as well... thinking of putting together some physical promo cards to send in, since it does seem like they would be bombarded by submissions.  Overall, I'm just digging the process and keeping optimistic.  

I made an account on conceptart.org too -- just trying to meet other awesome artists and build the network.

If I hear anything further I'll definitely let you know! Good luck!!

contrast is beauty. 

Cheers guys!

Still looking for a break into Wizards.

This is some of my latest artwork. More to come...

www.rallisart.com

Sign In to post comments