Misprint or am I reading incorrectly

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I bought a Red Box back in December and I really didn't give it much though until now when helping my friend make a character. The players handbook say's that the fighters HP is 29 but then on section 45 it say's the fighters healing surge value is 9 but doing the math, the healing surge value should be 7. I then looked at Clerics and the HP amount it shows is 18 but then say's the healing surge value is 7 but 1/4 of 18 is 4. Then the wizard is 22 HP and the healing surge value is suppose to be 5 but the book says 6. The only one that is correct is rogue.

So if anyone could enlighten me on whether or not I read it wrong please let me know.
I bought a Red Box back in December and I really didn't give it much though until now when helping my friend make a character. The players handbook say's that the fighters HP is 29 but then on section 45 it say's the fighters healing surge value is 9 but doing the math, the healing surge value should be 7. I then looked at Clerics and the HP amount it shows is 18 but then say's the healing surge value is 7 but 1/4 of 18 is 4. Then the wizard is 22 HP and the healing surge value is suppose to be 5 but the book says 6. The only one that is correct is rogue.

So if anyone could enlighten me on whether or not I read it wrong please let me know.

HS value is 1/4 of hit points, round down. A 29 HP fighter would have an HS value of 7. You may be confusing the HS value (how many points you get back from an HS) with NUMBER of HS. Fighters for instance get 9 +CON mod HS. So a fighter with a 10 CON would have 9 HS, 25 HP, and an HS value of 6. Your 29 HP fighter would have to be starting with a 14 CON, which would mean 11 HS. So I am not real sure what the example is trying to tell you, and my PHB isn't out. I don't recall the examples in PHB1 being wrong though...
That is not dead which may eternal lie
Based on the PHB that comes with the Red Box the book tells you to put 14 in con which gives a modifier of +2. I understand that the HSV is 1/4 rounded down of the total HP, here is what the Red Box PHB say's if you don't have it on you at the time of reading this.

"If you are a fighter, you have 9 surges, plus your Constitution modifier (+2), for a total of 11 surges per day."

Now what I get from that is that it's saying that my HSV would be 9 but that's not 1/4 of 29. As I also said with cleric and wizard this is also a problem, here's the example from those.

"If you are a cleric, you have 7 surges, plus your Constitution modifier (+1 or +2), for a total of 8 or 9 surges per day."
"If you are a wizard or a rogue, you have 6 surges, plus your Constitution modifier (+1 or +2), for a total of 7 or 8 surges per day."

The HP total for wizard that the book tells you to put down is 22 which would make the HSV 4 since that's 1/4 of 22 but as you see the example say's to put 6. So the ultimate question would be would the constitution modifier be added twice to get the HSV for the first addition and then a second time for the serges per day? Again this is coming from the PHB that comes with the 4e Red Box.
You're reading it wrong. A fighter gets 9+Con mod surges/day, each with a HSV equal to 0.25*Max HP.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Healing Surges is how many healing surges you have. Is determined by your class + con mod.

Healing Surge Value is how much they heal for, it is determined by 1/4 your max hp.
There are other bonuses to healing surge value, e.g. dragonborn get +con to healing surge value. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"If you are a fighter, you have 9 surges, plus your Constitution modifier (+2), for a total of 11 surges per day."

Now what I get from that is that it's saying that my HSV would be 9 but that's not 1/4 of 29. As I also said with cleric and wizard this is also a problem, here's the example from those.

You shouldn't, because that's not what it says.  It says you have 9 surges (+CON modifier), and says nothing whatsoever about the value OF those surges.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Exactly, HSV is how many hit points an HS is worth. How many surges you have is a separate value, that's the one that is (for fighters) 9+CON mod (and perhaps with other mods like toughness, DB race, etc).

That is not dead which may eternal lie
Let me simplify the question since no one is understanding my question. The book say's the fighters HP is 29, to get the HSV you take 1/4 of that which would be 7, why is it the book is saying 9? 9 is not 1/4 of 29. I know what the HSV is and what it does, I don't need an explaination telling what it does, I want to know if the book has a typo because what the book says to write down in inaccurate to what the math say's
I don't have a red box myself, but I have heard several other stories of issues in the printing. The one that stands out is the cleric that has a mace on one page and a sword on the next.

Chances are, it's a misprint. Just do the math yourself and ignore what the box made a mistake about.
Let me simplify the question since no one is understanding my question. The book say's the fighters HP is 29, to get the HSV you take 1/4 of that which would be 7, why is it the book is saying 9? 9 is not 1/4 of 29. I know what the HSV is and what it does, I don't need an explaination telling what it does, I want to know if the book has a typo because what the book says to write down in inaccurate to what the math say's

It's NOT saying the HSV is 9.  It's saying you HAVE nine healing surges.  Each with a VALUE of 7 because that's a quarter of your HP.

The line you quoted, doesn't say what you're saying it does.  Maybe the line in the book is different, but the line you've written on this page says nothing about healing surge value.

If, elsewhere, it DOES say that the 29HP fighter's surge value is 9, absent any feats or racial features that's a typo/misprint.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The confusion over number of surges vs surge value notwithstanding, I see a different problem in the quoted text:

"I then looked at Clerics and the HP amount it shows is 18 but then say's the healing surge value is 7 but 1/4 of 18 is 4."

A 1st level cleric should have more than 18 hit points.
Red Box, Player's Book: Page 45....bottom of first column.

The OP is missing "Make a note on your character sheet of your healing surge value (1/4 of your hit points rounded down)."

There is NO place in the text that says the fighter's HSV is 9.  You are getting it mised up with the number of surges per day. "If you are a fighter, you have 9 surges, plus your Constitution modifier (+2), for a total of 11 surges per day."

Also, the Cleric starting hit point are 25 (page 13...near the top of the 2nd column).     

The book is right, your just not reading it right. In section 11 it states that the fighter has 29 hp and is bloodied at 14, in part 45 it never gives the value of the surge it only says "1/4 of your hit points rounded down. Then under fighter it says, If you are a fighter, you have 9 surges, plus your Constitution modifier(+2), for a total of 11 surges per day.
 As for the clerics 18 hit points, in section 36 it states that the cleric has 27 hitpoints if your a dwarf and 25 if your not. The only 18 I can find on that page is the 18 AC just above in section 35. Again section 45 gives the number of surges for the cleric (7), and the wizard (6), not the surge value. A dwarven rogue would have 8 surges with a value of 6, or 7 surges with a value of 5.