Lightning/Thunder damage...how can I get it?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm trying to create a Thor-like character for a campaign (12th -18th levels) that will have the party fighting mostly giants. I was thinking of making him a battle cleric or a barbarian|cleric. But I have a few questions:

What is the best way of getting lightning or thunder on all my attacks? I can not afford a +3 Lightning weapon so I would have to get a +2 one and lose out one 1 poitn to hit and damage (not that big a deal). I'd like to get a Thunderfist ki focus (so that all my melee attacks do thunder damage) so that I can get a weapon enhancement other than a Lightning Weapon . This will synergize with the Mark of Storm and a few other things I want to include in the build. Is there any way to get proficiency in a ki focus other than being a monk or an assassin (or multiclassing or hybriding one of those)? There's no feat that can give you proficiency with a ki focus?  Is there a better way of having my attacks deal lightning or thunder damage? Thanks in advance. 
The best way is to be a Stormsoul Genasi and take Shocking Flame.
You can also get ki focus proficiency with the Elemental Initiate theme.  The theme also comes with a free Immediate Reaction attack, so it's not a bad way to go.  If that's your preferred method, specifically for the Thunderfist ki focus, then you're done right there.

If you are using throwing hammers you can pick up the Lv.13 +3 Thunderbolt weapon for free lightning damage.  It only applies to ranged weapons, but that does allow throwing hammers, daggers, etc.  Thor is a pretty big fan of throwing hammers, but that would really depend on your build.
Ok...cool, thanks. Stormsoul genasi and elemental initiate are good possibilities.

Another question: What is the best way to be able to throw a melee weapon? It doesn't have to be an at will thing, maybe even just once per encounter. 
Dwarven Thrower enchant, and I believe a couple others, but that allows say a Craghanmer as opposed to a throwing hammer. I think there's gloves that allow throwing of non-thrown weapons as well but don't quote me.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
There's also at least 2 builds floating around with the same concept, do some digging for ideas.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Well, there are melee/ranged weapons like the throwing hammer.  There's also the Dwarven Thrower weapon enchantment for hammers and axes, but that won't work if you're attacking through a ki focus.  However, if you're attacking through the Ki Focus, that's fine.  Attack with your normal weapon most of the time, and pull out the throwing weapon when need be.  Just use a cheap +1 version so it returns after you throw it.
Barbarian has "Hurl Weapon" feat too, but it requires an off-hand weapon, but I would go dwarven thrower too, seems to best fit the intent, throwing big gnarly hammer
I think there's gloves that allow throwing of non-thrown weapons as well but don't quote me.

You're right, they're called Dwarven Throwers.  Creative, right?  

Dwarven Throwers Level 10 Uncommon

These stout iron gauntlets turn any weapon into a ranged weapon.

Hands Slot        5,000 gp

Property

Gain a +2 item bonus to thrown weapon damage rolls.

Power  Encounter (Standard Action)

Make a ranged basic attack with your melee weapon, using your Strength modifier on the attack roll and damage roll, as if the weapon had the heavy thrown weapon property. Your weapon automatically returns to your grip after the ranged attack.

Go stand on a tall hill during a thunderstorm while wearing copper armor and shout "all the gods are b*stards!"  That should get you plenty of damage from thunder and lightning. Tongue Out
As for the question on how to throw weapons, you might want to take a look at the warden paragon path 'first hunter'

The level 11 feature lets you throw any one handed simple or military melee weapon, and also adds you con mod to damage on those attacks. Even more, you get an additional bonus to the attack roll if the target is adjacent to one of your allies.
I'd like to get a Thunderfist ki focus (so that all my melee attacks do thunder damage) so that I can get a weapon enhancement other than a Lightning Weapon . This will synergize with the Mark of Storm and a few other things I want to include in the build.

Just so you're clear, you can't use the properties of most weapon enchantments if you're using Thunderfist to turn that attack to thunder.

One other option I'll mention for completeness sake is the Power of the Storm feat, which converts a few divine at-wills to thunder. Not really CharOp material though. Also, whirlybarbs can treat one-handed weapons as off-hand, which I think would enhance hurl weapon. Avalanche Hurler PP might be worth a look as well.
I think there's gloves that allow throwing of non-thrown weapons as well but don't quote me.

You're right, they're called Dwarven Throwers.  Creative, right?  

Dwarven Throwers Level 10 Uncommon

These stout iron gauntlets turn any weapon into a ranged weapon.

Hands Slot        5,000 gp

Property

Gain a +2 item bonus to thrown weapon damage rolls.

Power  Encounter (Standard Action)

Make a ranged basic attack with your melee weapon, using your Strength modifier on the attack roll and damage roll, as if the weapon had the heavy thrown weapon property. Your weapon automatically returns to your grip after the ranged attack.

Wow, WotC...brainstorming apparently turned into a drizzle on that one.

Btw, I'm Irish, so nice avatar, lol!
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote: