[M14-ICD] Mutavault

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mutavault
Land (R)

: Add  to your mana pool.

: Mutavault becomes a 2/2 creature with all creature types until end of turn. It's still a land.

Time to trade my one mutavualt o_o
:O

Not the set I expected it to be reprinted.
Yes! Not a mythic!
[<o>]
at rare.  wow.
Hah!  Slivers will actually be standard playable now.  I so called this.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
BUt why?

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Yes! Not a mythic!

at rare.  wow.

Our only mythic lands have been Eye of Ugin and Maze's End, both of which are fairly exceptional. It sort of worries me that you consider this a surprise.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

It sort of worries me that you consider this a surprise.

Yeah, guys. Have faith in Wizards, guys. They aren't greedy.

BUt why?

Why not?

[<o>]
So very happy for this! I was a bit surprised it wasn't in Modern Masters, but this makes sense considering they want slivers to be a thing. Hooray! This and Scavenging Ooze make this core set a pleasant surprise so far.
Oh right slivers is a thing. So maybe I should wait for the price to soar because slivers will be insanely op now.
Not uncommon? :p

Wow, nice!  I did not see this coming.

Also, I'm not sure Slivers actually runs this.  Slivers is going to be a...what?  3 colour deck?  4?  If it exists?  3-4 colour decks sometimes aren't willing to run land that taps for colourless.  If there's a 2-colour Slivers then certainly. 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Really happy to see this in M14   Now for thoughtseize
Wow, nice!  I did not see this coming.

Also, I'm not sure Slivers actually runs this.  Slivers is going to be a...what?  3 colour deck?  4?  If it exists?  3-4 colour decks sometimes aren't willing to run land that taps for colourless.  If there's a 2-colour Slivers then certainly. 

so far slivers are only in naya colors.  if slivers indeed becomes a thing, then decks will probably include mutavault in a creature slot.
Some people reckon they can go straight boros slivers, so plenty of room for a colorless land especially while the innistrad duals are still in the format.
Pretty awesome to see this at rare in a core set. Should tank the current price a fair amount.
Holy balls, this made the coreset for me.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Wow, very cool to see this again.
Just out of curiosity what is the source on this. Also AWESOME!
Wish I wasnt skipping this set now.

At least it should bring the price down.  

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Wish I wasnt skipping this set now.

At least it should bring the price down.  

~ Tim 

So don't skip it?

MTG Rules Advisor

So don't skip it?

Wish I could, but being made redundant means no money, which means no Magic. Planned on taking a break until Theros in order to give me a chance find another job. (I expected missing a Core Set to be relatively painless, compared to an Expansion)

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
So don't skip it?

Wish I could, but being made redundant means no money, which means no Magic. Planned on taking a break until Theros in order to give me a chance find another job. (I expected missing a Core Set to be relatively painless, compared to an Expansion)

~ Tim 

Ah, skipping it due to lack of money, not a 'strike' against Magic. Never mind, then, that makes much more sense. And I feel your pain, I was jobless for 8 months until I got lucky a couple months ago. :/ Good luck.

MTG Rules Advisor

(Which meant I had to skip on Return to Ravnica as a block, pretty much. ARGH.)

MTG Rules Advisor

A mass reprint of an expensive card?  Could this be true?  Maybe I will decide to get some for my Merfolk deck.  

Solid reprint.   
Ah, skipping it due to lack of money, not a 'strike' against Magic. Never mind, then, that makes much more sense. And I feel your pain, I was jobless for 8 months until I got lucky a couple months ago. :/ Good luck.

(Which meant I had to skip on Return to Ravnica as a block, pretty much. ARGH.)

Thanks.

No, it would take a lot for me to 'strike' against Magic. The addictive ink is in my veins.

Technically I should have missed GTC too, but my parents bailed me out so I didnt have to. (I had my priorities straight ;)) 

These days I only go to the Pre-release, Launch Party and a Draft anyway, but it still gives me a chance to pick up the cards I want for Commander and for my existing decks. If a miracle happens then there is still the possibility of me going to M14, but I am not expecting that.

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
so far slivers are only in naya colors.  if slivers indeed becomes a thing, then decks will probably include mutavault in a creature slot.

I've noticed that, but slivers are so traditionally five colour that I'd be surprised if they changed it now.

Although...

Exalted: 11 cards in M13 (black/white)
Bloodthirst: 10 cards in M12 (green/red/black)
Scry: 5 cards in M11

Slivers: so far 12 cards (2 commons, 1 uncommon, 1 rare in every colour but green, plus one artifact which hints at 13 cards for green completing its cycle; would be 21 if all five colours).

Mmm...yeah, maybe they are only 3 colour, and if that's the case then we already know all but one of the sliver cards.

Some people reckon they can go straight boros slivers

Ok...typical Boros decks run about 28 creatures or so (with Boros Charm, Legion's Initiative, Burn Spell rounding out the spell slots).  I dunno if Legion's Initiative is actually good enough in Slivers, where you can't have 24/28 of your creatures be red; but whatever, replace that with another burn spell or something.

1 drop: 1/1 First Strike.  Not thrilling, but it's your only 1 drop.
2 drop: 2/2 Vigilance.  works well with the first strike
3 drop: Here's where it gets a little iffy.  2/2 haste sharer...well cards to compare it to include Goblin Chieftan and Goblin Warchief.  It's pretty far below what we've seen out of haste lords.  Slivers also tend not to need haste as they affect the fight immediately anyway.  2/2 +0/+1--absolute garbage; compare to Veteran Armorer.  Two 1/1 tokens: It's Gather the Townsfolk that costs 3 and doesn't have fateful hour.  Might be alright just because slivers give more buffs, I guess.  Although note: it makes colourless slivers, so yet another piece that doesn't work with Legion's Initiative.
4 drop: 2/2 double strike--this is decent; the comparison is Kinsbaile Cavalier which never really did anything, but that might be because knights weren't really a deck, and at least it's not a +1 mana sliver tax like some of those 3 drops.
5 drop: 2/2 pinger looks good.  3/3 with +2/+0...yeah, you might play it, especially since there's 8 cards that give one of first strike or double strike, and if you're sticking red/white this is literally your only power pumping sliver in these colours.

Granted, mutavault helps, means you only need to get 24 creatures out of this group.  But...I dunno; Boros decks tend to run mostly 1-2 drops.  This only has two options (8 cards) in the 1 and 2 drop slots combined.  The three drops are all pretty marginal; you could probably grab the haste and the tokens if you were desperate to just to fill card slots.  Sure, run the 4 drop (12 cards) for all that your creatures gaining double strike is a lot less impressive when they're half 1/1 and half 2/2 with no pump so far.  The 5 drops...I dunno.  Like I said, boros decks tend to have 3 CMC as the top of their curve; both 5-drops are effects the deck is lacking and wants (pump in a deck of otherwise entirely 1/1s and 2/2s; all your creatures getting removal is something I think every deck would want), but I can't imagine this deck runs eight 5-drops.  Or if it does want to play eight 5-drops, it probably isn't the kind of deck that wants to play a 1/1 first strike for 1.

I dunno, I guess I'm not really seeing how boros slivers would come together as a deck.

Of course, you could always go not pure sliver; throw in Burning Tree Emissary and Boros Reckoner.    But once you start doing that, there's a very good question of "why don't you cut the rest of the slivers from the deck too?"

Naya Slivers has a bit more breathing room; actually has a 2 drop.  Actually has pump to make various keyword effects actually scary.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Just out of curiosity what is the source on this. Also AWESOME!

MTGSalvation moderator who has an "inside source" and has confirmed cards for sets before.  I also noticed the lack of a source and looked into it.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Always nice to have Mutavault as a roleplayer. Very unexpected and very awesome choice for a reprint. =)
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Hm.  First manland in core since Tenth Edition, first colorless manland in core since 4th edition!
Wow, awesome. When it didn't show up in mm I didn't think it would show up soon anyway due to not fitting in Theros for flavor reasons. Didn't expect to see it here.
2-mana forever gravecrawler is kinda cute.

みんな、見ていてくれ!

A mass reprint of an expensive card?  Could this be true?  Maybe I will decide to get some for my Merfolk deck.  

Solid reprint.   

I will say that, almost hilariously, this is one of the few money rares that I've managed to trade for already and I have... I think a full playset for my Merfolk deck? Been so long since I looked I'm not actually sure if I have 3 or 4. That's gonna be my Modern deck but I'm still missing a few lands so I haven't double checked its contents in a while. XD

The 'hilarious' part being that the one money rare that they're going to (try to) help bring down the price by reprinting it appropriately is one I already have through trades. Go figure.

MTG Rules Advisor

So this is the card the person next to me will be opening up in draft?
So this is the card the person next to me will be opening up in draft?

You have that kinda luck too, eh?

MTG Rules Advisor

I see this card going in two ways:

One: Theros has tribal themes to it, and Mutavault becomes a house in standard.

or Two: This is servicing the sliver base, and if they don't become competitive, we'll see the price of this card tank due to high print runs of core sets.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL

I think M14 Minotaur Madness has already strongly indicated this.
I see this card going in two ways:

or Two: This is servicing the sliver base, and if they don't become competitive, we'll see the price of this card tank due to high print runs of core sets.

I really hope for option 2; or that the price tanks for a small period before Theros releases and I can grab 4  Actually I prefer that because I think a Roman/Greek inspired block could have some cool tribes.
On one hand, we just had a tribal block in Innistrad. On the other, Theros will present the opportunity to build around less-common tribes such as Minotaur and finally bring Satyrs back. Since Innistrad complimented its tribal themes with graveyard mechanics and Theros is rumored to have a "Legends matter" theme, it is possible Theros will feature a mix of tribal and legendary.

Sign In to post comments