Thoctar's Thoughts; a bunch of cards

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

Rise to the Challenge

Enchantment (R)
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each opponent

Unfair Trade

Sorcery (R)
Each other player draws a card, you draw a card for each other player.

Not quite sure how this should be costed. In my experience the average multiplayer game is about 4 people.
This would probably also translate well to things like tokens and life gain and ramp.

False Choice

Instant(uc)
Destroy target creature unless its controller puts the top half of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
The illusion of choice is the most treacherous leash.

Treacherous Winds

Encantment-Aura (R)
Enchant creature with flying.
You control enchanted creature.

Chameleon Mutemage

Creature-Viashiano Wizard (uc)
Players can't cast green spells
Familiarity is the greatest weapon of all. The more you are like your enemy, the more of their weaknesses you know.
5/5

I fully admit that this effect would probably be more at home in white, but the flavor came to me in a more green way.
Also, it pains me to know that Viashinos being their own creature type absolutely ruins any chance to see "Creature-Lizard Wizard" on a card.

Glimpse of Dreamscape

Enchantment (R)
Sacrifice Glimpse of Dreamscape: For each enchantment put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn, search your library for a basic land and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Originally had this at , but I don't think there needs to be a card that much better than Rampant Growth.
The enchantment focus might make this work at , but I'm not sure.

World Half Empty

Sorcery (m)
Target player loses half of his or her life, discards half of his or her cards, sacrifices half of his or her permanents, puts the top half of his or her library into his or her graveyard, and exiles half of his or her graveyard, all rounded up.

I was rather pleased with myself when I came up with this one. Feels really weird to use that many 'his or her's on a card, but alas.
I really like Rise to the Challenge and Treacherous Winds. Although the latter, as a more restricted Mind Control, should really be uncommon.

Let me say that you are one of my favorite designers around here. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Although the latter, as a more restricted Mind Control , should really be uncommon.

I don't disagree with the power level issue, but I think because it's so freaking narrow, it would be really obnoxious to open in a draft.

World Half Empty could stand to be costed more heftily. At least by 1, I should think.

False Choice could also stand to be slightly more expensive. You basically have to split the cost between Traumatize and Murder.
Even at gold, it stands to be a bit more expensive.
False Choice could also stand to be slightly more expensive. You basically have to split the cost between Traumatize and Murder.

Remember, they get to choose which they get. If you really need the creature gone, they get milled a bit. If you really need the mill, they lose the creature. It's significantly weaker in effect than Murder. 
World Half Empty could stand to be costed more heftily. At least by 1, I should think.

I originally had it at and I think I like it there better now. This was kind of weird to cost because some only Traumatize has been made into a card before, so I was trying to figure out how much more those additonal effects tacked on should cost.
Ultimately I feel that 7 with heavy black or 8 splahable is probably ideal.

Ehhhh...
It might just be because of my inordinate love for Elixir of Immortality but the mill mode doesn't phase me all that much. A lot of the time this is going to be worse than murder because it gives the opponent a choice.
I think it might look nicer at though.
Unfair Trade

Sorcery (R)

Syphon Mind makes this feel sad. This feels more like it should be costed like Words of Wisdom.

Level 1 Judge

Syphon Mind doesn’t reliably work late-game. Unfair Trade does (at least if you have enough opponents left), though i agree, that it could cost less without being broken, probably - it’s far better than Words of Wisdom if you use it to its potential.
False Choice should cost , or , or .

Instant speed destroy target creature costs 1BB. This card is strictly worse. 
I really like Rise to the Challenge and Treacherous Winds. Although the latter, as a more restricted Mind Control, should really be uncommon.

@ Rise to the Challenge

It's a neat effect and I like the flavor of it being RW, but I wouldn't like the card if it actually existed. As an excercise it's cool, but in real life it would ONLY be used in multiplayer. And in multiplayer it is too powerful usually being +3/+3 for 3. It's not like a narrow card that you build around to make it good, you just slap it in to a multiplayer deck and it's too strong.

EDIT: and yeah whoever said that that spell needs to cost more isn't right. Strictly worse murder AND in gold means it should cost .
Heya everyone, here are my homebrew threads: (yes there is only one right now, but there are more to come!) And Let There Be Fish-Men: KUO-TOA

Rise to the Challenge

Enchantment (R)
Creatures you control get +1/+1 for each opponent

Shouldn't this have some green in it?

Unfair Trade

Sorcery (R)

Not quite sure how this should be costed. In my experience the average multiplayer game is about 4 people.
This would probably also translate well to things like tokens and life gain and ramp.

False Choice

Sorcery (uc)
Destroy target creature unless its controller puts the top half of his or her deck into his or her graveyard.
The illusion of choice is the most treacherous leash.

Per Traumatize, I think it should read "library", not "deck"

Treacherous Winds

Encantment-Aura (R)
Enchant flying creature
You control enchanted creature.

Creature with flying.  I guess this is right-powered, considering Domineer

Glimpse of Dreamscape

Enchantment (R)
Sacrifice Glimpse of Dreamscape: For each enchantment put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn, search your library for a basic land and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Dreams seem to me to be more in or 's pie.

World Half Empty

Sorcery (m)
Target player loses half of his or her life, discards half of his or her cards, sacrifices half of his or her permanents, puts the top half of his or her library into his or her graveyard, and exiles half of his or her graveyard, all rounded up.

I'm wondering if this is OP.  I'd at least work a third in somehow.

Chameleon Mutemage

Creature-Viashiano Wizard (uc)
Players can't cast green spells
Familiarity is the greatest weapon of all. The more you are like your enemy, the more of their weaknesses you know.
5/5

I fully admit that this effect would probably be more at home in white, but the flavor came to me in a more green way.

I don't think white is in the business of preventing white.  The closest compare is Derelor, a card I loved back in the days when a 4/4 for 4 was awesomesauce.

If it's going to have an affect-everybody scope, though, I'd be tempted to try to reword it to avoid becoming an  Iona, Shield of Emeria with the help of a simple change-color-word card.  Make it something like "Spells with :G: in their mana cost cannot be cast".  Sure, it'd let Hybrids and Phyrexians through, but for the most part would be Green crippling Green, which seems to be the goal here.  You could even deliberately build around it, just like people used to build around Erhnam Djinn by playing decks consisting of nonforest -producing lands.
The thing about False Choice is that your opponent is, actually, offered a choice.

Unfair Trade

Sorcery (R)

You could adjust to a variable cost if you want the card to have more playable scenarios:

Unfair Trade
Sorcery
Draw X cards, where X is the number of players. Each other player draws a card.

To make it more appealing, I counted all players. That way, at two mana, it's Words of Wisdom, and it scales nicely the more players you get. The question then is whether "My team draws 5, their team draws 2" for in 2HG is too good. But I also think spells being above the curve in multiplayer is generally fine. As a sidenote, I'm not 100% sure what happens if a player dies in a multiplayer game, but I'd think the cost would adjust accordingly. An even stickier situation is what happens if a player concedes while you're in the process of announcing the spell.
You could adjust to a variable cost if you want the card to have more playable scenarios:

Unfair Trade
Sorcery

To make it more appealing, I counted all players. That way, at two mana, it's Words of Wisdom, and it scales nicely the more players you get. The question then is whether "My team draws 5, their team draws 2" for in 2HG is too good. But I also think spells being above the curve in multiplayer is generally fine. As a sidenote, I'm not 100% sure what happens if a player dies in a multiplayer game, but I'd think the cost would adjust accordingly. An even stickier situation is what happens if a player concedes while you're in the process of announcing the spell.

At 2 players it would cost and for 2hg it would cost

Level 1 Judge

False Choice is
World-Half Empty is

As an excercise it's cool, but in real life it would ONLY be used in multiplayer.

More than likely, but Glorious Anthem has seen play before.

And in multiplayer it is too powerful usually being +3/+3 for 3. It's not like a narrow card that you build around to make it good, you just slap it in to a multiplayer deck and it's too strong.

Quite possibly.
In my experience multiplayer games tend to go on longer, so it would probably be safer to cost it higher.
Shouldn't this have some green in it?

I'm really not sure. Definitely white, but I'm not sure what, if any color, leans in a sort of "multiplayer" matters sort of way.

Per Traumatize, I think it should read "library", not "deck"

Noted.
Creature with flying. 

Likewise.
Dreams seem to me to be more in or 's pie.

Generally, but settings tend to bleed concepts and ideas across colors.
I kind of had the wedge from a wedge world I'm designing in mind.
The thing about False Choice is that your opponent is, actually, offered a choice.

And it kills me inside.

Unfair Trade
Sorcery

Eh...
I'd rather pay the extra mana for Mind Spring

As a sidenote, I'm not 100% sure what happens if a player dies in a multiplayer game, but I'd think the cost would adjust accordingly.

Agreed.

An even stickier situation is what happens if a player concedes while you're in the process of announcing the spell.

The rest of the table regards said player as a sore loser.
At 2 players it would cost and for 2hg it would cost

Good point. The wording would need to be adjusted. "Draw X + 1 cards, where X is the number of other players."

Eh...
I'd rather pay the extra mana for Mind Spring

My point is that your version is pretty much unplayable unless there are at least 3 other players in the game. If you make it scaleable, it's somewhat playable in most formats.
Unfair Trade is good as is. I'm fine with a random card here and there that works better in Multiplayer, especially at rare. And there are non-expansion products which can be more blatantly multiplayer-oriented.

False Choice looks to me like something that will be used for self-mill more than removal. Maybe add "an opponent controls"? Milling half of your own deck shouldn't cost and a creature. 
Maybe if it exiled?
Far less potential for self-abuse. 
Sign In to post comments