Monk Creation Help

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I may be playing in a secondary, Low-Mid Op Campaign, and I figured I'd try something I've never played before but always wanted to- a Monk. Currently I've got it drafted as a Githzerai Centered Breath Monk, aiming for either Ghostwalker or Radiant Fist in Paragon, should the campaign run that long. This is only the level 1 version for now, since that's probably the level we'll be starting at. I plan on grabbing a Blurred Strike Ki Focus at my earliest opportunity.

Am I correct in assuming the CB doesn't incorporate the bonuses from Ki Foci? I could be wrong but I don't believe it added the +1 from the Accurate Focus.

level 1
Githzerai, Monk
Build: Centered Breath Monk
Monastic Tradition: Centered Breath
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 12 Reflex: 16 Will: 14
HP: 32 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +8, Stealth +10, Acrobatics +12, Insight +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, Heal +3, History -1, Intimidate, Nature +3, Religion -1, Streetwise, Thievery +5, Athletics +3

FEATS
Level 1: Ki Focus Expertise

POWERS
Monk at-will 1: Fallen Needle
Monk at-will 1: Five Storms
Monk encounter 1: Drunken Monkey
Monk daily 1: Stunning Palm

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Doctrinal book, Ki Focus
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
CB is usually pretty good about the enhancement bonuses from Ki Focus, but horrible about the superior implements.  At least the old one won't always let you equip it properly, for example. 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

CB is usually pretty good about the enhancement bonuses from Ki Focus, but horrible about the superior implements.  At least the old one won't always let you equip it properly, for example. 

It equipped it, but doesn't show the bonus when I look at the attacks...odd.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
grab a magic one, and verify if what you're not getting is the superior bonus, or the enhancement bonus...

(Also, as your 1st level feat...shouldn't you be going for easier CA ahead of superior implement?  or expertise?  I would think superior implement would be at the bottom of the "+to hit" feat options...) 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

grab a magic one, and verify if what you're not getting is the superior bonus, or the enhancement bonus...

(Also, as your 1st level feat...shouldn't you be going for easier CA ahead of superior implement?  or expertise?  I would think superior implement would be at the bottom of the "+to hit" feat options...) 

Yep, that's it, wasn't getting the Superior bonus.

Also, swapped for Ki Focus Expertise; thanks!
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Are there any powers or anything should look into in the future? I'm looking for tips from people who've used monks in game as I have no experience with them...and quick question on ki foci- am I correct in assuming that you get the enhancement from either the focus or weapon, not both, but still gain properties from both? Would I need to maintain for example, say a + X Ki Focus and a + X Weapon with whatever enchantment?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Correct, the enhancement bonus doesn't stack. However, you only get the property of whichever you're choosing to use. If you're looking for magic item economy, you can get weapons that have always-on stuff or things that don't depend on you hitting, at which point you are ignoring their plus and just using them for their bonus to initiative/AC/whatever.
Correct, the enhancement bonus doesn't stack. However, you only get the property of whichever you're choosing to use. If you're looking for magic item economy, you can get weapons that have always-on stuff or things that don't depend on you hitting, at which point you are ignoring their plus and just using them for their bonus to initiative/AC/whatever.

OK, so assuming I had say, a +3 Flaming Dagger, and a +3 something Ki Focus, I'd have a +3 regardless, and choose to gain either the Flaming property from the Dagger or whatever the property of the Ki Focus happened to be, right? That being said, it'd be best to just grab a weapon (should I even bother using one? I'd use a Fullblade if anything since I'm playing a Githzerai) with an always active property for a static +AC or +Initiative, or whatever, like you said...suggestions?

Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:

OK, so assuming I had say, a +3 Flaming Dagger, and a +3 something Ki Focus, I'd have a +3 regardless, and choose to gain either the Flaming property from the Dagger or whatever the property of the Ki Focus happened to be, right? That being said, it'd be best to just grab a weapon (should I even bother using one? I'd use a Fullblade if anything since I'm playing a Githzerai) with an always active property for a static +AC or +Initiative, or whatever, like you said...suggestions?

Sentinel Marshall Honor Blade for initiative (rare, though)

Shielding Blade (+1 shield bonus to AC)

The pickings are kinda slim for heavy blades (though I may be missing some). The only reason why I came up with those was due to a ranger character in the party that uses ki focus shenanigans with heavy blades. So it was on my radar.

Hopefully somebody else might be able to suggest something better... 
I may not even use a weapon tbh, like I said I don't see the game hitting Paragon, so I'm trying to figure out if its possible to make due without one...Does MUS count as a 'weapon' for those attacks with the Weapon Keyword? If not I guess I'm kinda screwed...
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
MUS is a weapon.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Ok thought so...do you think it'd be possible to (and should I?) play through Heroic using just MUS + a Ki Focus? I'll work out the build to lvl 10 tomorrow, I'm half asleep right now.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Ok thought so...do you think it'd be possible to (and should I?) play through Heroic using just MUS + a Ki Focus?

Possible? Yes. Should you do it? Absolutely not.

There are a lot of ways monks benefit from wielding weapons. Crashing Tempest Style, Ki Weapon, Shielding Blade to name a few. Not holding weapons is just wasting valuable space.
When you make a weapon attack such as a melee basic attack, you can use the monk unarmed strike which is a weapon in the unarmed weapon group. This weapon has the off-hand weapon property and a +3 proficiency bonus and it deals 1d8 damage.

Got to love quoting :P

If you start at lvl 1 the big question you have to ask though is what you can expect to get from your DM. Not all of them follow your wishlist or only partly. :P
Thankfully wish lists will be adhered to for the most part, with added DM's-choice loot which will likely be 'group loot' rather than Player specific...should I take Gith BM instead of KFE for lvl 1? Sorry for the tons of ?'s...for as long as I've played 4th I haven't touched a Monk other than MC, so I'm not sure which gets shoul take precedence.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Feats should ^...stupid iPhone
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Thankfully wish lists will be adhered to for the most part, with added DM's-choice loot which will likely be 'group loot' rather than Player specific...should I take Gith BM instead of KFE for lvl 1? Sorry for the tons of ?'s...for as long as I've played 4th I haven't touched a Monk other than MC, so I'm not sure which gets shoul take precedence.

Is there a particular reason you want to play a Githzerai given it is likely Heroic only? I rate Githzerai highly mainly due to paragon things - Elves and Humans generally have a significant edge in Heroic.
Not really, I was originally going to go Human and play up the 'Drunken Master' angle...maybe I'll switch when I get on the laptop later...feat suggestions, were I to go Human? KFE & Accurate Focus?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Not really, I was originally going to go Human and play up the 'Drunken Master' angle...maybe I'll switch when I get on the laptop later...feat suggestions, were I to go Human? KFE & Accurate Focus?

I like Unarmored Agility, Sneak of Shadows, Novice Power(Low Slash), KFE(or Versatile Expertise), Crashing Tempest Style(later retrained into Starblade Flurry), Improved Defenses or Superior Will, and Accurate Focus as my immediate needs and not necessarily in that order.

That gives you a workable nova with a blurred ki focus. Versatile Expertise depends on DM ruling about what triggers FoB - if every attack roll in a burst does it, then just go KFE. If not, then at some point in the combats, you'll likely want to consider using an option with dragon shard/elemental damage type instead.
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Sign In to post comments