Maze Runner Chalenge deck Jund Voralz

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
as part of a chalenge I built a deck around Varolz, the Scar striped for a six week stint I have to play a version of this deck in every FNM. I was originally torn between jund or Junk for this build. while I originally was leaning towards a junk build I didn't want to listen to my playgroup complaining that I basically modified the junk aristocrats that has been gaining popularity, so I went the jund route I'm going to post the deck list then post the results of our first week of FNM.

Sideboard
[deck]
4 Pillar of Flame
3 groundseal
3 Deathrite Shaman
3 Putrefy
2 Golgari Charm
[/deck]

of my play group I had the best record at 3-2 at our first FNM.
round 1- Bant control 2-0
game 1 was nearly the way I drew it up I got to go first and had regeneration mana for my 8/7 lotleth troll when she went to supreme Verdict.
game 2 I had a slow start but managed to build up a Varolz and lotleth troll that I was able to out race her aetherling with the help of Kessig wolf Run.

round 2- 4 color reanimator (no green) 0-2
game 1 turn two he breaks himself puts unburial rites and Griselbrand in his yard. I get him so low on life that the turn after he rites he can't afford to attack me with griselbrand I kill Griselbrand 3 time he has three rites (two from his hand) to keep him coming back. Angel of Serenity clears my board of any relevent threats and he closes the game out quickly.
game 2 kill griselbrand 5 times before I run out of ansewers and lose the race.

round 3- b/R Zombies 2-0
game 1 a second turn Slumbering dragon he can't deal with followed by a fourth turn Varlz and scavenge ont the dragon makes a 14 dragon he can't deal with.
game 2 basically a race where Slumbering dragon scares him from attacking and I win with two lotleth trolls.

round 4- Naya Agro. 1-2
game 1 I'm stuck on 2 mana  he plays three Smiters I can't deal with.
game 2 slow start again he tries to when with reckoner/act combo kill the reckoner and regen my troll exploit his greedy play and win.
game 3 I Mull to 6 draw three lands and Three spells ( Lotleth, abrupt, and Varolz) game goes 9 turns where I draw only 1 more spell the entire game.

round 5- Junk servitude/aristocrats 2-0
game 1 he has no way to deal with troll's trample tries to soak up a 8/7 trolls damage with a pro black Cartel trample goes over game is mine.
game 2 he mulls to five keeps a one lander never gets a second I win turn 5.

Basically my 2 loses one came because he saw at least three unburial rites each game and I couldn't keep up with griselbrand. The other was a man short and flood.

any ideals on what I could do to improve the deck for Friday. I want to tweak the mana base but not sure that would help.
Not a Jund deck, but Niche posted a pretty cool BUG aggro deck that seemed to be really powerful. I think it runs 4 Varolz. Maybe there are some ideas there? community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I don't really like Slumbering Dragon, Vexing Devil or Burning-Tree Emmisary here. Dragon seems a bit cutesy, I'm not sure that you have reach enough to make Devil worth it and the 'free' body from Emmisary seems less efficient than a threat that is just better on its own. Plus it doesn't synergize as well with Lotleth.

I'm sorry that I don't have much in the way of what to add instead. Deathrite Shaman is a good 1-drop, though, and so is Rakdos Cackler. As for Emissary, Strangleroot Geist synergizes with Varolz, if you can get the mana to work. If that pushes you more towards green, Young Wolf is another synergistic 1-drop.

[Edit]: Niche's list only runs 2 Varolz, though I'm sure you could pump it up to 3 if you wanted.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
I really like these Jund builds, but I personally think that Desecration Demon > Slumbering Dragon. You'll cast him less, but when you do, he's still quite the threat.

Also, Protection doesn't take any damage at all I thought? Does Trample damage still go over...? 
I really like these Jund builds, but I personally think that Desecration Demon > Slumbering Dragon. You'll cast him less, but when you do, he's still quite the threat.

Also, Protection doesn't take any damage at all I thought? Does Trample damage still go over...? 

With protection of a color, it cannot be dealt damage by sources of that color. Trample still applies though.
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
Im running the exact same deck for a comple of weeks. its pretty good and i enjoy playing it a lot.. except when i play to Aristocrats.. lol 

have a great day!  

With protection of a color, it cannot be dealt damage by sources of that color. Trample still applies though.

So, a 2/2 prot. creatures blocks a 3/3 Trample.
Openent still takes a point? AWESOME. IVE BEEN DOING IT WRONG FOR SO LONG! 
week 2 update anoter 3-2 performance made some changes based around suggestions and new ideals popping into my head.

-3 Slumbering dragons
-4 burning-Tree emassary 
+4 Rakdos Cackler
+3 Ash Zealot

nothing earth shattering or groundbreaking.

round 1 4-color reanimater 2-0
game 1 Ash was worth their wait in gold after a turn one vexing devil and a turn two and three zealot he was hard pressed to stablize. he tried to cast a second unburial rites from his grave targeting Angel of Serenity and claim that since she targeted my zealots they didn't trigger causing him 6 points of damage. after I quick judge call move to game 2
game 2 first I side in my graveyard package taking out devils, thundermaws, and abrupts for deathrite, groundseals, and putrey. turn one deathrite and turn three ground seal meet with instant concession as he had no enchantment hate and no acceleration.

round 2 bant flash 2-0
game 1 near perfect draw have lotleth and varolz with the ability to regenerate both when she has her verdict 2 turns later victory.
game 2 she mulls to four keeps a two lander and never recovers.

round 3 naya Ruric Thar deck 0-2 (another person from my play group and this challange)
game 1 turn three Ruric followed by turn 4 Aurelia not much to answer that.
game 2 not quite as fast but his mana Excel puts me too far behind. 

round 4 R/G agro 1-2 (by all accounts I should have won this)
game 1 scavenge onto lotleth and bloodrush rampager onto Varolz and win the race.
game 2 tight race I go I'm at 2 life he's at 7 I have an Ash Zealot and Varolz in play with a gor-clan rampager in hand and 3 creatures in the yard 2 devils and a cackler with 5 lands he has an untapped boar on defense go to scavenge a devil onto varolz he calls judge claiming that I take three for scavenging with the Zealot in play. the Judge sides with him I lose a game I should have won (can't appeal due to him being the highest judge at the store)
game 3 he gets turn 1 noble turn 2 he plays 3 burning tree emissaries and a boar. (last card in his hand is a rampager) I can't keep up with his speed that game

round 5 Junk Tokens 2-0
don't remember much about these games just know that Lotleth troll was the main reason I won and can't believe I did win I was in on tilt after that last match and the poor ruling.

after the tournament I talked to the winner who played a varient of my deck but had three desecration demons and only three Varolz. was happy he won but upset about my luck. I'm debating switching the abrupts to the side and the putrey to the main. 
Week 3 update and updated the list in the original post. 4-0 split last round

match 1- esper control 2-0
both games were pretty much over on my turn five game even after a supreme verdict spike jester blood rushed with rampager seems good.

match 2- Bug 2-1
game 1 turn two Lotleth troll and turn three varolz pretty much carry me to victory. game 2 he has rapid Hybidization for my troll and when I make the frog lizard huge he has abrupt for it. two High priest take over and end game quickly. game 3 we grind trading blows I manage to land the first Varolz that doesn't get legned killed. win off playing a rampager and making him huge.

match 3- Esper planes walkers 2-0
game 1 he has a slow start finally gets tamiyo but I have to many creatures and ignore her and attack my opponent. game 2 my opponent is on tilt that I ignored his Tamiyo spend the entire game hearing how bad of a player I am while he keeps missing triggers and make horible play mistakes. When I win he ends up being asked to leave due to his outburst which involves alot of name calling and a threat to my well being. (I really hate people like that)

match 4- B/G control 2-0
game 1 he mulls to 4 and is tuck with one land. game 2 more bad luck he mulls to 3 and scoops when it has no lands.

I learned that spike Jester is easier to cast and better at being scavenged. still not sold in having him over Ash Zealot may replace the boars with zealots next week. 
Sign In to post comments