Difference in rules between 1983 and 1991 editions?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Just a quick question: what's the difference in rules (if any) between the 1983 red box (Basic Rules Set 1, with the Elmore art) and the 1991 New Easy to Master D&D Game? I may add the former to my collection, but I don't want to be redundant if there's not many alterations.

In the first edition, we defeated Asmodeous, and the world is all love and flowers.

In the second, we failed, and all humanity suffers an eternal zombie life of eternal darkness and damnation.

I can't wait for there to be a re-match then.
That does not answer my question. ;)
Yes, well, I might know the answer, but can you describe the 1991 product in more detail?  Is it a big black box like you might expect a board game to have, with a red dragon on the cover "reaching out"?
Yes, that's the one. It's this game right here:

Okay, the 1991 box is firstly more of a board game than D&D is, any edition, and more so than the 1983 box.  The 1983 box is one of the first publications of the full D&D game, and the 1991 box was an attempt to present the game for everyone again, in one set.  You see, D&D has most often been sold in book form, with three main books, Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide, and Monster Manual.  These boxed sets have all the rules necessary in one set, only not every rule is there and the scope of the game is much narrower.  The 1991 box also if more like a board game than the 1983 set because it comes with some "pieces" you move around on the maps.

Basically, either box is a way to have an introduction to the game, and you don't need to buy anything else when you do until you want to go higher in level and try another set or the books.
Cool, thanks!

I got the 1991 version back in '92, but had played AD&D (1st and 2nd edition) for years before. I'm a fan of collecting the different rulesets, and I know there were minor and major revisions over the years, of course. I just get a bit confused with a lot of the basic sets, as it's not always clear what was changed, and when. (With the AD&D/modern D&D PHBs and such, it's much easier.)

I'm all for collecting various products, but if the rules in 1983 for basic D&D had barely changed (if at all) by the time the 1991 set rolled around, then I don't see much point in essentially owning the same thing twice. Hope that made sense.
Sign In to post comments