Hole-Filling with Rush_Clasic

119 posts / 0 new
Last post
tl,dr;
Mark Rosewater does an exercise on his blog where his readers have to fill in a hole in a set cut by development.
I make a contest based on those parameters
Realizes that asking his readers to design cards but not to send them to him is a bad idea. Stops doing it.
To compensate, the winner of the contest gets to choose the next set of parameters.

Last time, Rush_Clasic won, and issued the following;
56544366 wrote:
We'll go with the Pernicious Deed story.

At the last minute, we had to cancel a green uncommon. The names for the cards before it and after it are already set: Triumphant Roar and Tusk Rumbler. Your card's name has to fit between these two because of how our process works. We need another token creator, so make sure it does so. It's not important that it fits the set themes.

Uncommon green token creator with a name alphabetically between Triumphant Roar and Tusk Rumbler.

You have two days to make a card that fits this hole.
You get to design one card, but you are allowed to change your submission before the deadline.
After that we vote on which we feel is the best designed, and the winner gets to pick the next round.

If your design does not match all of the specifications, it will not be included in the vote.
I realize that there is some wiggle room and subjectiveness in regards to what can or can't show up at lower rarities, but please, don't push your luck. 
That's an impressive amount of hole-filling going on in these forums.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I don't understand the joke.
When a man and a woman love each other very much, they design cards to replace those cut by the development team.
Okay, now I understand the joke.
When a man and a woman love each other very much, they design cards to replace those cut by the development team.

I know how my children will get the flowers and bees explanation now.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Turgid Tunneler Wurm 
Creature – Wurm            
If Turgid Tunneler Wurm would die, put four 1/1 green Wurmling creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Goblins often confuse the wurm's swollen form for more food.  The wurmlings often confuse goblins as appetizers.
8/8

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I still prefer bees and flowers.
I never got an explanation as such. I really never wanted to know anything about baby making but noooo I had to learn anyway.
Turgid Tunneler Wurm 
Creature – Wurm            
Discard a card: Turgid Tunneler Wurn gains mountainwalk end of turn.
If you're lucky, you'll find a nice big cave to wait out the storm.  If the wurm's lucky, it'll find you right inside its doorway.
8/8

Doesn't make any tokens.

Yxoque wrote:

I know how my children will get the flowers and bees explanation now.

Mown: c'mere kid, we need to talk about something serious
*20 minutes later*
Mown: ...and that's how your little sister came to be!
kid: Do people usually make strange noises at night when they design cards?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Flowers? What about birds?

Show
Upon the day that dragons were born, so to was the first white wig worn, by men who wished to make the world theirs, and in the process sorcery tears - the very fabric of space and time, dragging the dragons right into their prime, these monstrous beasts in philosophical mansions, stood right in the way of colonial expansions. To break these beasts a hero must be found, a hero of the future who can stand the sound - of centuries past and voices unfettered, and someone who'll carve dragon graves lettered - R, I, and P the three sacred symbols, that curse the dead to a land without gimbals. A land they'll never leave, because escape cannot conceive - itself, out of the grip of this mustachio'd hero, a Roosevelt who is comparable to zero. Family crest tattooed on his chest, the baddest m****rf****r this side of the West. And to the dismay of the colonial fools, their futuristic hero had to play by the rules, and the hero chosen by the dragons themselves, they summoned with a tome pulled from dusty shelves. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, or so they said, as their dragon tails were waggin'. And up from the depths, as the earth shook, the Oldest of Ones opened eyes for a look - at the battle that was about to be waged, the human champion that stood enraged - on the precipice between hither and yon, to battle this most eldritch scion. And with that, the tension was broken, the combat began, and each soul had spoken - its very last words, because as soon as time had started, so to had it ended, and sentience departed.
Truffle Tromper
Creature: Treefolk
Trample
Whenever another creature is destroyed by ~, put a 0/1 green plant token onto the battlefield.
"Stupid trees. Trying to make a vegetarian out of me," -Marl the Ox Hearder.
4/3
in regards to hole filling i notice in actual R&D hole filling either makes a very powerful card that they didn't have as much time to play test as other cards, is very underpowered in fear of making the card too strong w/o proper testing, or doesn't feel connected with the rest of the set.

So when making our cards what aspect of the hole filling process do we take into account?

The biggest Vorthos Ever I'd rather have an awesome mechanic than the most flavor any day. Constantly coming up with cards all the time. So if you see a card you like tell me. Constantly trying to get into card of the week if you see a card you like please nominate.

I would like to design a beehive, is your english better enough than mine to help me with possible adjectives?
in regards to hole filling i notice in actual R&D hole filling either makes a very powerful card that they didn't have as much time to play test as other cards, is very underpowered in fear of making the card too strong w/o proper testing, or doesn't feel connected with the rest of the set.

So when making our cards what aspect of the hole filling process do we take into account?

If the names are set, we are looking at the "play it safe" kind of deadline I'm pretty sure.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Trump of the Forcemage
Instant
Put a 1/1 squirrel token into play, then choose a creature. That creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
"They're retreating into the forest! Attack!! ...Fall back!!"
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Trump of the Forcemage
Instant
Put a 1/1 squirrel token into play.
Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.

Seems bad if you have no creatures.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Turn Over a New Leaf
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Turn Over a New Leaf, sacrifice X Plant creatures.
Put X 0/1 green Plant creature tokens into play, and put X +1/+1 counters on each of them.
The next time the waiter asks if you want soup or salad, choose soup.  Soup doesn't hold a grudge.
Trump of the Forcemage
Instant

So does Giant Growth, Armadillo Cloak, Fling...
Trump of the Forcemage
Instant

So does Giant Growth, Armadillo Cloak, Fling...

shhhhhhhhhhh
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Doesn't make any tokens.

Oops!  *fixed*

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Trusting Bond
Enchantment-Aura (U)
When Trusting Bond enters the battlefield put two 1/1 saprolings onto the battlefield.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has "Sacrifice a Saproling: regnerate this creature."

The biggest Vorthos Ever I'd rather have an awesome mechanic than the most flavor any day. Constantly coming up with cards all the time. So if you see a card you like tell me. Constantly trying to get into card of the week if you see a card you like please nominate.

I would like to design a beehive, is your english better enough than mine to help me with possible adjectives?

"Turbulent," a synonym of "noisy," seems good for a beehive.

That sounds really good, thank you!
Doesn't make any tokens.

Oops!  *fixed*

Yeah, that looks more printable.

Tturi Animist
Creature - Human Shaman
Whenever a non-token creature you control becomes tapped, create a 1/1 green Elemental creature token.
1/1

Yxoque wrote:

Doesn't make any tokens.

Oops!  *fixed*

Yeah, that looks more printable.

.....Hmmm..., but that's a rare.  Grrr.  Maybe if I crank it down to four 1/1s?

Trump of the Forcemage
Instant

You're right; I'm new to this and I made a templating mistake. How do I template it so that you can potentially target the token you create? "Then choose a creature; that creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn"?
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Troublesome Trolls
Sorcery
Put three 2/2 green Troll creature tokens with hexproof and ": Regenerate this creature" onto the battlefield.
"One is a pest. Two, a nuisance. Three, real trouble."
Turf Turning
Sorcery

Put a 1/1 Saproling creature token onto the battlefield for each basic land you control.

----

...I'll think of a better name later, maybe.

Edit: Changed a few things so it is less like Beacon of Creation
The title of this thread makes me want a pipe, a nice leather chair, a good pair of loafers, and a public access television show.
Turf Turning
Sorcery

Put a 1/1 Saproling creature token onto the battlefield for each Forest you control.

----

you know what'd be a great name for that? beacon of creation.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
The title of this thread makes me want a pipe, a nice leather chair, a good pair of loafers, and a public access television show.

The only part of that that matched my intial reaction to the thread title, was the leather.
Turf Turning
Sorcery

Put a 1/1 Saproling creature token onto the battlefield for each Forest you control.

----

You're on a hot streak.

Quick!

Tumblin' Fists
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
When Tumblin' Fists enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Enchanted creature has trample.

... I really like that name. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
4 pages in 3 hours? How the hell did that happen?
Oh...

Tukatongue Brute
(uc)
Creature-Fungus
Whenever Tukatongue Brute is dealt damage, put that many 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.
4/1

I'd watch it.
Troll in the Dungeon - Uncommon

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Land

Enchanted land has ": Put a 4/3 Troll creature token with ": Regenerate" onto the battlefield."

As long as you control a Troll, the enchanted land does not untap during your untap step.

Thought you'd like to know. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Turbulent Procreation
Instant
Choose target creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player or planeswalker this turn, create that many 1/1 green saprolings.
"The parasites know the true way of the world. Life is delicious. Only the gross things no one wants to eat survive." —Garruk Wildspeaker

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Turf Turning
Sorcery

----

It would, but that name doesn't fit the criteria. Anycase, I have changed my submission so that it has a bit more distance from a card with that name.
The only part of that that matched my intial reaction to the thread title, was the leather.

<3

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Trophic Slime
Creature - Ooze
Trophic Slime's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Oozes on the battlefield.
, Sacrifice a creature not named Trophic Slime: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of Trophic Slime.
Survival of the slickest.
*/*

yeah he's probably not printable at uncommon, but at least he's better than
original idea, which is nowhere near uncommon

Trophic Genesis
Enchantment
Creatures you control have , Sacrifice a nontoken creature: Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of this creature."