Does the sustain minor attack from "Crown of Stars" provoke opportunity attacks?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
We had this discussion at the table last night.

For clarification, here are the mechanics of the primary attack

• Daily ♦ Arcane, Implement, Radiant 

• Standard ActionRanged 10

• Target One creature

• Attack Charisma vs. Reflex

And the sustain:

• Sustain Minor Make a Charisma vs. Will attack against any target in range. On a hit, deal radiant damage equal to your Charisma modifier. 

The sustain attack doesn't give an attack type (melee, range, close burst, etc).

My reading was that unless it's specified, it takes on takes on the attack type of the primary attack (Ranged 10).  The fact that it says "in range" also suggests this.  That makes it a ranged attack power and it provokes.

The player who was using the power asserted that if there's no attack type given, then it has no attack type, and thus is not a "ranged or area" attack power and does not provoke.

We found other questions about how the sustain worked around the internet, but no discussion about whether or not it provokes.  We'd love a reference to some official clarification of this, or to see if there is a community consensus.  Either way we both agreed that the power needs a little rewrite for some clarification.

If it is not a ranged attack power (and does not provoke), then what is the range of the sustain and where does that range come from?

Thanks. 
RAW no i don't think it does, as the sustain attack has no attack type and sustaining doesn't count as using a ranged or area power.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

When you sustain this power, are you making a ranged attack?  Unless the creature you are targetting is adjacent to you, then yes.  Yes, you are.  Why?  Well, the Sustain says to make an attack *within range*.  Within *what* range?  Range 10, from the Primary use of the power.

Incidentally, making a ranged attack provokes OAs.

This player is trying to game the rules.  Tell them to get Shimmering Cloth Armor, or one of the other ways to prevent ranged attacks from provoking, but this isn't the way to do it.
He isn't, actually. Known issue. "using" means "taking the action the power specifies" in essence and only counts for the initial use of a power. "Using" a ranged or area power is the trigger for OAs. Sustaining is not using, and therefore does not provoke OAs. If OAs were provoked by "making a ranged or area attack" you'd be right, but they aren't. Fairly common mistake.
Sustain says to make an attack *within range*.  Within *what* range?  Range 10, from the Primary use of the power.

All powers have range, that doesn't make them ranged powers. Ie.. Giant's Wake Secondary Attack is not a ranged attack because it attack each enemy within range. 

RC 315 Range: The maximum distance that an effect can reach. Range is often expressed as a number of squares.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

So, let me get this straight...

If I am playing a Ranger with Twin Strike and I use Twin Strike, it provokes from the monster next to me.  If that monster has an IR: "When attacked, an ally within x squares moves adjacent to you." and it triggers that from my first attack with TS, allowing another monster to move up next to my Ranger, just in  time for me to make the second TS attack ... that would *not* provoke an OA from the second monster?   
Following Alcestis definition of using above, no it wouldn't, since you already used the action to use Twin Strike when the other monster comes adjacent to you before making your second ranged attack.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

So, let me get this straight...

If I am playing a Ranger with Twin Strike and I use Twin Strike, it provokes from the monster next to me.  If that monster has an IR: "When attacked, an ally within x squares moves adjacent to you." and it triggers that from my first attack with TS, allowing another monster to move up next to my Ranger, just in  time for me to make the second TS attack ... that would *not* provoke an OA from the second monster?   

Correct. Also responsible for the confusion about Battleminds not getting OAs from Lightning Rush.
Is the same true for Secondary and Tertiary attacks, such as from Ricochet Throw?   I would mention Bloody Throw or Barreling the Fish, which have a melee attack followed by a thrown weapon attack, but they specifically state that the the secondary/tertiary ranged attack does not provoke OAs.
Is the same true for Secondary and Tertiary attacks, such as from Ricochet Throw?   I would mention Bloody Throw or Barreling the Fish, which have a melee attack followed by a thrown weapon attack, but they specifically state that the the secondary/tertiary ranged attack does not provoke OAs.

The power needs the range or area keyword, because you're "using a range or area power.". Ricochet Throw is a ranged power, so provokes upon initial use.
The power needs the range or area keyword, because you're "using a range or area power.". Ricochet Throw lacks either.

Did you looked it up Alcestis? Because Ricochet Throw  has the Ranged keyword

Yan
Montréal, Canada

The power needs the range or area keyword, because you're "using a range or area power.". Ricochet Throw lacks either.

Did you looked it up Alcestis? Because Ricochet Throw  has the Ranged keyword

Yeah, it does, my mistake. So the initial use would cause an OA.