Revente of the Hunter + Flash Creature

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Opponent plays a Miracled Revenge of the Hunted targetting one of his creatures, and then attacks.

I play Wolfir Avenger after attackers have been declared. Is the Wolf forced to block the creature that got targeted by Revenge of the Hunted or am I allowed to block whatever I want?
Revenge of the Hunted doesn't modify the characteristics of any creatures, so it will cause even creatures that enter the battlefield later in the turn to block the targeted creature if able.

611.2c If a continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability modifies the characteristics or changes the controller of any objects, the set of objects it affects is determined when that continuous effect begins. After that point, the set won’t change. (Note that this works differently than a continuous effect from a static ability.) A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability that doesn’t modify the characteristics or change the controller of any objects modifies the rules of the game, so it can affect objects that weren’t affected when that continuous effect began. If a single continuous effect has parts that modify the characteristics or changes the controller of any objects and other parts that don’t, the set of objects each part applies to is determined independently.
Rules Advisor
I dont know if its me but that sounds contradictory, is it or is it not changing the characteristics of the creature?, because it seems like it is, and if that is so, then creatures coming into the battlefield after the effect takes place would not be forced to attack.

Please clarify
"All creatures able to block it this turn do so."

What part of this are you having trouble with?

If you flash in any creature, surely the new creature is able to block it. 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

I dont know if its me but that sounds contradictory, is it or is it not changing the characteristics of the creature?, because it seems like it is, and if that is so, then creatures coming into the battlefield after the effect takes place would not be forced to attack.

Please clarify

Let's say your opponnent attacks with a creature with "this can't be blocked". After he declared it an attacker, you flash in your creature. Are you able to block it with it?

Same goes for the revenge's ability.

No characteristic is changed. It is something that is just true for creatures able to block the revenged creature.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Opponent plays a Miracled Revenge of the Hunted targetting one of his creatures, and then attacks.

I play Wolfir Avenger after attackers have been declared. Is the Wolf forced to block the creature that got targeted by Revenge of the Hunted or am I allowed to block whatever I want?

Avenger must block the Revenged creature.
Revenge of the Hunted's last part doesn't change the characteristics of the creature it targets;
rather, it actually changes the Rules of the Game. (for a short while)

The characteristics of a creature are described under rule #109.3, none of which is affected by Revenge's «must block» part. On the other hand, rule #509.1a says that any of your untapped creatures may block any attacking creature of your choice; Revenge changes that rule, and thus is subject to the second part of rule #611.2c, as highlighted by FezzHead above.
109.3. An object’s characteristics are name, mana cost, color, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, abilities, power, toughness, loyalty, hand modifier, and life modifier. Objects can have some or all of these characteristics. Any other information about an object isn’t a characteristic...

509.1a The defending player chooses which creatures (...) will block [and] chooses one creature for it to block that’s attacking him...

And in case you ask, the fact that Revenge's first parts do affect the target's characteristics changes nothing:
611.2c (...) If a single continuous effect has parts that modify the characteristics (..) and other parts that don’t, the set of objects each part applies to is determined independently.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Thanks Chaikov, thats exactly the part that was confusing me.