Clarifying a few things on the swordmage move "Dimensional Vortex"

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
1. This move cannot be used if the enemy is attack yourself, correct? Only if it is targeting an ally? Also, does it apply to an AOE attack?

2. After the move is used, can the move be used to make the target monster hit itself with its own attack?

3. If I have that same monster marked with Aegis of Assault, can I then punish it for attacking itself/ally monster with a MBA?
1. You are not your own ally, so correct. No, it says "melee attack" right there in the trigger line.

2. Yes.

3. You would need some method of using two Immediates in the same round, which is only possible at Epic. You get one Immediate action of either type (Reaction or Interrupt) per round. So probably not.
1. You are not your own ally, so correct. No, it says "melee attack" right there in the trigger line.

2. Yes.

3. You would need some method of using two Immediates in the same round, which is only possible at Epic. You get one Immediate action of either type (Reaction or Interrupt) per round. So probably not.

Do you think my DM would buy it if I were to say that I am my own greatest ally?
I think you'd be violating Wheaton's Law if you asked, knowing the actual rules.
I would say by RAI that #2 is No....the creature can NOT attack itself.  I think this part, "If no creatures are within range of the target, the attack is expended.", really spells out the intent.
I would say by RAI that #2 is No....the creature can NOT attack itself.  I think this part, "If no creatures are within range of the target, the attack is expended.", really spells out the intent.

This. 
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Except some attack powers target enemies only, which would make nothing in range even though you can make him hit himself normally. Regardless, the RAW is clear. The target is a creature within range of itself. There are a number of FAQs that have made this abundantly clear. The Paladin LoH FAQ, for one. Also the entire Enchanter Mage build is designed around making enemies hit themselves with powers that have near identical wording, are you suggesting they intended for that build to be useless against solos? No.
So...why does this power in particular include the text: "If no creatures are within range of the target, the attack is expended" When would a target not be in range if a creature can always target itself? 
So...why does this power in particular include the text: "If no creatures are within range of the target, the attack is expended" When would a target not be in range if a creature can always target itself? 

When the power it is using says "Enemies only." I said that. You are not your own enemy.
While not directly applicable to Dimensional Vortex because it only applies to melee attacks, a creature also can't target itself with a Close Blast power, because the origin square of a blast is never in the blast.
While not directly applicable to Dimensional Vortex because it only applies to melee attacks, a creature also can't target itself with a Close Blast power, because the origin square of a blast is never in the blast.

Not quite. Look at any of the leader healing powers "You or one ally in burst." The origin square is always included (if you were sharing your square with an enemy it'd bit them), but bursts do not effect their creator unless they specifically say they do. If you were sharing a square with an enemy and did a close burst, they'd be included. So it is true they don't target you, but the square you're in is included.

When the power it is using says "Enemies only." I said that. You are not your own enemy.

Mostly because a lot of writers don't understand the rules properly.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Not quite. Look at any of the leader healing powers "You or one ally in burst." The origin square is always included (if you were sharing your square with an enemy it'd bit them), but bursts do not effect their creator unless they specifically say they do. If you were sharing a square with an enemy and did a close burst, they'd be included. So it is true they don't target you, but the square you're in is included.

That's a burst.  I was specifically refering to Blasts, which on RC p109 states "The origin square of a blast is not in the blast"
Indeed, Blasts must be adjacent to and not include their origin square (tricks with Arcane Reach notwithstanding...)
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

That's a burst.  I was specifically refering to Blasts, which on RC p109 states "The origin square of a blast is not in the blast"

Misread, you're absolutely correct.
Sign In to post comments