Allied Surge, starring...Progenitus(?)

14 posts / 0 new
Last post

***UPDATED 6-13-13***

Here's the deck, but I'm looking to add some cards.....hoping to get suggestions on what to take out in order to make room for them.

1 x Progenitus

1 x Agadeem Occultist
1 x Akoum Battlesinger
1 x Bala Ged Thief
1 x Graypelt Hunter
1 x Hada Freeblade
1 x Hagra Diabolist
1 x Halimar Excavator
1 x Harabaz Druid
1 x Highland Berserker
1 x Joraga Bard
1 x Jwari Shapeshifter
1 x Kabira Evangel
1 x Kazandu Blademaster
1 x Kazuul Warlord
1 x Makindi Shieldmate
1 x Murasa Pyromancer
1 x Ondu Cleric
1 x Sea Gate Loremaster
1 x Seascape Aerialist
1 x Tajuru Archer
1 x Talus Paladin
1 x Tuktuk Scrapper
1 x Turntimber Ranger
1 x Umara Raptor

1 x Birds of Paradise
1 x Druid of the Anima
1 x Lotus Cobra
1 x Quirion Elves
1 x Somberwald Sage

1 x Bringer of the Black Dawn
1 x Bringer of the Blue Dawn
1 x Fauna Shaman
1 x Fierce Empath
1 x Maelstrom Wanderer
1 x Mirror Entity
1 x Mystic Snake
1 x Progenitor Mimic
1 x Renegade Doppelganger
1 x Rune-Scarred Demon
1 x Seedborn Muse
1 x Taurean Mauler
1 x Vexing Shusher

1 x Amulet of Vigor
1 x Chromatic Lantern
1 x Cloudstone Curio
1 x Conjurer's Closet
1 x Elixir of Immortality
1 x Gilded Lotus
1 x Mimic Vat
1 x Null Brooch
1 x Quicksilver Amulet
1 x Sensei's Divining Top
1 x Sol Ring

1 x Asceticism
1 x Cathars' Crusade
1 x Fires of Yavimaya
1 x Leyline of Anticipation
1 x Wild Pair
1 x enograft

1 x Venser, the Sojourner

1 x Primal Surge

1 x Bant Panorama
1 x Cavern of Souls
1 x Command Tower
1 x Evolving Wilds
5 x Forest
1 x Golgari Rot Farm
1 x Gruul Turf
1 x Halimar Depths
5 x Island
1 x Jund Panorama
1 x Jungle Shrine
5 x Mountain
4 x Plains
1 x Reliquary Tower
1 x Savage Lands
1 x Seaside Citadel
1 x Selesnya Sanctuary
1 x Simic Growth Chamber
4 x Swamp
1 x Temple of the False God

These are the cards I'm wanting to add:

Progenitus (new General)
Mirror Entity (alt wincon for Turntimber Ranger)
Bringer of the Blue Dawn (for card draw)
Collective Blessing (to keep my guys from dying to Pyroclasm or something similar)
Asceticism (protection from spot removal)
Sensei's Divining Top (more draw-fixing)

Any ideas?  I don't mind other card suggestions, but my main problem is figuring what to take out, without messing with the Allied theme too much.  I'm okay with losing a few of them, but not much more than that.

I've always thought that any deck with a heavy tribal base should have Cavern of Souls as a way to help push its creatures through.  It's effectively an Ancient Ziggurat that can tap for colorless to spend on anything other than creature spells.  The can't be countered clause is just icing on the cake.
Conspiracy  can make all those support creatures allies as well (also works well with Descendants' Path  since it affects cards in your library and Patriarch's Bidding helps with the tribal theme, and can be a finisher in mid/late game after you have a few allies in the GY with all the ETB effects) and affects cards in your GY as well. Door of Destinies is probably good Pyroclasm protection that grows with every Ally played, is cheaper overall and less demanding as far as colored mana which could be important in a 5 color deck. Coat of Arms is in the same mode, but wouldn't recommend if there are other tribal players in your group. ANy particular reason you prefer Fires of Yavimaya over Fervor other than just having Fires and not having Fervor perhaps?

As far as cuts, not a huge fan of Timber Wall, Sage of Epityr, Roil Elemental (Triple Blue in 5color?), Chancellor of the Tangle. Might also recommend some clones (Clone, Sakashima the Impostor, Stolen Identity, Progenitor Mimic/shapeshifters Shapesharer/Taurean Mauler) instead of some of the weaker allies you are playing (read: any of them that cost 3 or more that don't have an evasion ability and only give themseves +1/+1 counters or weak buffs) so you still technically are getting Allies, but you just get a chance to get copies of the stronger effects, especially with Sakashima)

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

First, thanks for the responses...

@ Ness64:  Yeah, I don't know why I haven't gotten the Cavern in there yet, but it's crossed my mind and been decided as an add.  Just procrastinating, I guess.  LOL

@ Baad007:  In the defense of Tinder Wall and Chancellor, those are simply in there for trying to keep up with some of the super-fast starts my opponents in my meta can manage.  Roil Elemental's mana-intensiveness isn't too much of an issue, with the likes of Wild Pair, Somberwald Sage, Gilded Lotus, and Harabaz Druid...and once the Surge goes off, it can wipe out more than just one opponent's creature base all on his own (not to mention adding to mine).

Having said that, I've decided I can do without the other 3 you mentioned (Sage of Epityr, Tinder Wall, and Chancellor), and I like the Clone/Changeling idea (forgot about Taurean Mauler) for replacing some of the more "meh" Allies

As for Fervor, Sakashima, Conspiracy, Patriarch's Bidding, and Door of Destinies...I don't have any of those, but they're all good suggestions. 

What would you say about Cathars' Crusade instead of DoD?
Definitely a decent alternative, but comes back to mana fixing. Good set of adjustments. Good luck!

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

After some thought, I'm considering dropping both Ob Nixilis, the Fallen and Roil Elemental for Gaea's Herald and Seedborn Muse.  The reasoning, is that the adds (Herald and Muse) can be used more effectively and with no conditions, where Ob Nixilis and Roil are really only good after Primal Surge goes off.

Thoughts?
Okay, made a few more changes...

Dropped:

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
Roil Elemental
Liliana Vess

Added:

Seedborn Muse
Mystic Snake
Null Brooch

I dropped Ob Nixilis and Roil Elemental for the reasons stated above, and was thinking I needed some way to be able to respond to spot removal/boardipes, as that happened A LOT last night at my LGS.  So, Mystic Snake was up for trade, and I already had Null Brooch in my binder, so.....thoughts?
perhaps akroma's memorial as another haste enabler

I've had my eye on that for awhile, but it's tough to find.....I may have to just give in and order it.  Any thoughts on what to take out for it?
Allies scream for Rite of Replication. Rite + Halimar Excavator = instant mill-kill for two opponents.

In place of Quirion Elves, maybe go Elvish Harbinger, as it lets you tutor up one of the three elf Allies.

My Ally EDH deck uses Riku of Two Reflections as a commander, for the same rather obvious reason he would likely be good in your deck. If you have some way to token-copy your allies (like with Riku), then things like Parallel Lives, Doubling Season, and Cloudstone Curio start to look good.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Allies scream for Rite of Replication. Rite + Halimar Excavator = instant mill-kill for two opponents.

In place of Quirion Elves, maybe go Elvish Harbinger, as it lets you tutor up one of the three elf Allies.

My Ally EDH deck uses Riku of Two Reflections as a commander, for the same rather obvious reason he would likely be good in your deck. If you have some way to token-copy your allies (like with Riku), then things like Parallel Lives, Doubling Season, and Cloudstone Curio start to look good.

Wow... That's gold... Never even considered Riku and tokens to make allies work. Dont' forget Cackling Counterpart or Stolen Identity if you go that route.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

Pepetual and Baad007...I appreciate the responses.  Biggest problem I have with Rite of Replication (as nice as it is), Cackling Counterpart, and Stolen Identity is that I don't want to start putting in any other instants/sorceries, as they would interfere with the Primal Surge win condition. 

However, you did give me an idea with Riku (ie. making creature tokens) and the synergy with Parallel lives.  As it stands now, I have Progenitor Mimic and Mimic Vat.....maybe if I added Splinter Twin along with Parallel Lives...?

If so, what do you think could be taken out?  I'd like to not take out any more Allies than I already have, and whatever I take out should be as close to the same CMC as possible...

Wow... That's gold... Never even considered Riku and tokens to make allies work. Dont' forget Cackling Counterpart or Stolen Identity if you go that route.

I'm kind of at the same point OP is at: Cuts are getting tough, no matter how good the card going in is. The last card to go in was Progenitor Mimic, but so far Stolen Identity has not made it.

For tokens I have Riku, Rite of Replication, Progenitor Mimic, Parallel Lives, Doubling Season, and Minion Reflector. To auto-bounce my allies to get their ETB again I have Cloudstone Curio and Species Gorger. Due to not playing five colors I have a limited selection of actual Allies, so I am running changelings to fill the gaps: Chameleon Colossus, Woodland Changeling, Adaptive Automaton, and Taurean Mauler.

Beyond the Allies and things to copy them, my deck runs a lot of ramp (the Elvish Harbinger, land-fetch elves, Cultivate, Elvish Archdruid, Magus of the Library), a few cards to amplify Riku's abilities (Chandra, the Firebrand, Melek, Izzet Paragon, Wort, the Raidmother, Galvanoth, Diluvian Primordial), cheap card draw for Riku/Melek/Wort to double, triple, or quadruple (Thought Scour, Foresee, Guided Passage, etc), then the real spells like removal, damage, recursion....the normal stuff. My win cons are creature face-bashing, mill, and direct damage that abuses my potentially absurd ramp. 

Regarding OP and Rite of Replication (or others) interfering with the Primal Surge win con....with the right allies out, the Rite is also a win con. Or you can use it to get five copies of your opponent's Sylvan Primordial, Butcher of Malakir, Blood Tyrant, or Artisan of Kozilek. And it has a lower CMC than Primal Surge, even after the kicker. 
Then again....I guess I'm coming at it from a Riku viewpoint: I can double Rite, but there's really no point to doubling a Surge. Ignore me.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Sign In to post comments