Magic 2014 Gameplay Bug Reports & List

1344 posts / 0 new
Last post
Whoa there buddy, no need for hostility, unless you were one of the dev's, in either case...game freezing is a BUG, which is what this thread is titled under.  "Gameplay Bug Reports & List"

A bug is an error, flaw, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways. Most bugs arise from mistakes and errors made by people in either a program's source code or its design, and a few are caused by compilers producing incorrect code. Bugs trigger errors that can in turn have a wide variety of ripple effects, with varying levels of inconvenience to the user of the program. Some bugs have only a subtle effect on the program's functionality, and may thus lie undetected for a long time. More serious bugs may cause the program to crash or freeze.

it's not completely out of line to post that question in a thread labeled "Gameplay Bug Reports & List".  seeing as how game crashing and freezing is considered a bug.  now hop up off your high horse for a few minutes and leave your "I'm smarter because I have more posts" attitude at the door. IDC which thread its "SUPPOSED" to be under, I posted it here, deal with it.
Don't be a dick mate, he was simply telling you that it belongs in the technical fault thread.

Which it does. That is where you will find the people to help, this is about cards that do things they aren't supposed to do.
Bobtheratkillr: DeadWalkers doesn't operate well as an aggro deck.
Flameblast Dragon, may/must ability is not working.

Flameblast Dragon's ability actually works correctly. When the ability resolves, it asks for a target and if you select one you have to pay at least 1 mana (0 damage). If you don't want to use the ability, when it asks you to choose a target, you can click the "Finish" button on the bottom and it will not do any damage and you will not have to spend mana. If you do that, there is still a visual effect (a fireball) that shoots from the card to where your own lands are. The implementation of this ability in the game is wonky and could be done much better and in a more user-friendly manner. There should be a yes/no prompt asking you if you want to use it and only if you choose yes, should it ask you for targets and how much mana you want to spend.

You should be able to choose a target (say the opponents 3/3 which you have the open mana to kill), and if the opponent buffs the creature out of range then you are free to choose to not pay anything (which may be relevent for other cards in hand).

This means that when flameblast dragon attacks, its ability triggers which requires a target to be put on the stack (there will usually always be a valid target (the only exception would be if every creature and player has shroud or equivalent)), then when the ability resolves you choose what you would pay but can choose to not pay anything (you don't need to pay anything to put the ability on the stack).

This analysis agrees with the gatherer rulings (obtained by clicking the link above):

10/1/2008 You choose the target when the ability triggers. When the ability resolves, you choose a value for X and decide whether to pay {X}{R}. If you do decide to pay {X}{R}, it's too late for any player to respond since the ability is already in the midst of resolving. 

I have noticed something peculiar in regard to Flameblast Dragon. I just played a couple of games against the AI (Krufa) on Planeswalker difficulty. The dragon's ability functions correctly for the AI, despite not doing so for real players as per the quoted posts. I observed this two times so I am sure of what I saw.

When the AI attacks, it chooses a target (targeted me directly both times) and the ability goes on the stack (swirly ring above the card and time to respond). Needless to say, it resolved both times. The first time it didn't pay any mana and the visual effect (fireball) shot me (the target) doing no damage. The second time it chose to pay mana and the ability did a certain amount damage to me.

Note that the AI chooses how much mana to spend as the ability resolves, not before it is put on the stack, like players have to do when they use this ability.
J3andit, I forget sometimes that Wizards_Sean worded the title of this thread rather ambiguously and I take for granted that everyone knows it's for bugged card interactions.
Post your issue in the Tech thread where WOTC will see it.
Thanks

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Not sure if this has already been noticed.  I cast thought scour on an AI-controlled Chant of Muldaya with Oracle of Mul Daya on the field.  The top card revealed was All is dust.  Not too keen on letting the enemy have that card with his growing mana base, I was not happy at all when two cards that were decidedly not All is dust went to the graveyard and the revealed All is dust remained on top.
Of all things, Death is least permanent.
Not sure if this has already been noticed.  I cast thought scour on an AI-controlled Chant of Muldaya with Oracle of Mul Daya on the field.  The top card revealed was All is dust.  Not too keen on letting the enemy have that card with his growing mana base, I was not happy at all when two cards that were decidedly not All is dust went to the graveyard and the revealed All is dust remained on top.

Thanks man, yah, it's already on the list.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Auras only target when you cast them. No bug here.
I found one...
On the Ipad...(Ipad 3 running IOS 6.1)
I cast Evil Twin on Pilgrim's Eye

A turn or two later, I was trying to tap my eye to kill his...but, the "activate ability" link was just not there.

My guess is, the long text of the eye pushed the "tap to destroy..." below the bottom of the card (I could see some of it) and that might have caused the issue.  If that is the cause, I expect there are a bunch of cards that would have this problem....

I reproduced it against the AI, screen shots below: 

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Tired of the new forum format, and all it's problems?  Try a new forum!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

You have to scroll down in the text box.
'fraid I don't know how to do that on the iPad.

Either way, this should be posted in the technical issues thread.
Ack...you're right (about the thread) - there's no way to scroll down on the Ipad...at least, not that I've seen...

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

There's a scrollbar on the left of the card in the picture you posted. You have to use that. It's ugly and hard to see.
I've seen worse. The scrollbar in the resolution dropdown for the PC version of Mass Effect 1 is practically invisible.
Yeah. I'm am idiot. It is there, and it does work. 

Thanks all, for exposing my ignorance ;) 

Ipad - neosilk76 
Steam - neosilk 

Yeah. I'm am idiot. It is there, and it does work. 

Thanks all, for exposing my ignorance ;) 

Into the PIT with ye!
XBLA: DriftTheoryDuB XBLA: drifttheoryDNB
I don't think anyone really cares, but Summoning Trap doesn't let you choose what order to put the cards on the bottom of your library.
I interrupted combat to Ovinise a Striking Sliver but the other slivers didn't lose first strike.
I interrupted combat to Ovinise a Striking Sliver but the other slivers didn't lose first strike.

Ovinize is bugged when it comes to stripping abilities.

Show

4 player FFA

1 guy casts Soul Warden, the other casts Phantasmal Image on it, the next one casts Evil Twin on original, then I cast Evil Twin on original.

Next turn first Twin activates its ability to kill the original Warden, my turn comes & goes, I do nothing, no one does nothing till the first Evil Twin turn comes. He activates the Twin, targeting my copy of Warden.

I, in response, tap my Evil Twin to kill his. His Twin dies, my stays.

A bug? 
Hmm, it does seem to be a bug to me.

Evil twin kills a creature with the same name as it, and it reverts to evil twin in the grave, so it is understably confusing for the game if it checks the state before resolving. Honestly though, I think that once targeted your twin should die. Gotta wait for puzzledmint for this one. He always knows.
Thats what I was thinking. That they both should just die.
4 player FFA

1 guy casts Soul Warden, the other casts Phantasmal Image on it, the next one casts Evil Twin on original, then I cast Evil Twin on original.

Next turn first Twin activates its ability to kill the original Warden, my turn comes & goes, I do nothing, no one does nothing till the first Evil Twin turn comes. He activates the Twin, targeting my copy of Warden.

I, in response, tap my Evil Twin to kill his. His Twin dies, my stays.

A bug? 

It doesn't sound like a bug to me. By the time the effect on your opponent's Evil Twin had resolved* it would have been called "Evil Twin" and the "Soul Warden" it was targeting wouldn't have the same name and hence wouldn't be destroyed.

*I'm not sure, but is also possible that the Evil Twin could lose its 'destroy target creature' ability when it reaches the graveyard because it only gains that ability when it becomes a copy of a creature.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

It doesn't sound like a bug to me. By the time the effect on your opponent's Evil Twin had resolved* it would have been called "Evil Twin" and the "Soul Warden" it was targeting wouldn't have the same name and hence wouldn't be destroyed.

*I'm not sure, but is also possible that the Evil Twin could lose its 'destroy target creature' ability when it reaches the graveyard because it only gains that ability when it becomes a copy of a creature.

This is the same Last Known Information bug that's been plaguing DotP since the original 2009 version.

Abilities on the stack exist independently from their source, and if their source is remove from the battlefield before they resolve, the game is supposed to use the source's Last Known Information to determine any relevant characteristics.
In this case, it doesn't matter what Evil Twin looks like in the graveyard. It's not even the same game object, and has no relation to the creature that was on the battlefield. The source of the ability was a creature named Soul Warden, so the target Soul Warden should be destroyed.
ANDROID Unable to update decks with new (recent) unlock codes.  They are simply not registering on my tablet.  All my decks show x/30 cards still, even after a week and a half.  I have tried the following things:

1) Turning "Server-Driven Content" off and on.
2) Quitting Magic 2014 (getting the "Are you sure you want to quit" dialog and clicking "yes") and restarting.
3) Restarting my tablet.
4) Uninstalling and reinstalling.
5) Sitting connected to an industrial-strength internet connection for upwards of 10 minutes, waiting for it to download stuff.

None of the above has worked.  Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you solve it?  I've tried contacting CustServ as well as Trick Jarrett (content manager for DailyMTG, who posted the DailyMTG unlock code a week or so ago), and nobody is helping me.

Thanks.
You should post this in the Technical Issues thread.
This thread is meant for bugs with card interactions.

This is the same Last Known Information bug that's been plaguing DotP since the original 2009 version.

Abilities on the stack exist independently from their source, and if their source is remove from the battlefield before they resolve, the game is supposed to use the source's Last Known Information to determine any relevant characteristics.
In this case, it doesn't matter what Evil Twin looks like in the graveyard. It's not even the same game object, and has no relation to the creature that was on the battlefield. The source of the ability was a creature named Soul Warden, so the target Soul Warden should be destroyed.

Okay, good to know. So it is working they way I said, but that is the wrong way. I'm still learning about the 'last known information' thing. I guess it can be reported as a bug. Sucks that this could be an exploitable bug too, though.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Okay, good to know. So it is working they way I said, but that is the wrong way. I'm still learning about the 'last known information' thing. I guess it can be reported as a bug. Sucks that this could be an exploitable bug too, though.

I didn't report it as a bug and maybe I should. It effects a wide range of cards.
I found that out last year the hard way with the Magma / Mind Control.

Show

It was also in '12 with Spikeshot Elder and Claws of Valakut
Is it just me?
I think Claws would be a great addition to FW.
Massively pumped, first strike Spitfire or Phoenix anyone?

Show

I Don't know if it was Sayd before... or if there is a german Bug-Thread elsewhere, but here's the bugs I found.

If you have a Creature with Protection from White, and "Planar Cleansing" would be Played, the Creature will be destoyed.

Also there was a little bug in the Sealed Campaign.

In a battle with Garruk, he played on a Creature "Giant growth" and after that "Fog"... the Creature wasn't blocked.
I Don't know if it was Sayd before... or if there is a german Bug-Thread elsewhere, but here's the bugs I found.

If you have a Creature with Protection from White, and "Planar Cleansing" would be Played, the Creature will be destoyed.

Also there was a little bug in the Sealed Campaign.

In a battle with Garruk, he played on a Creature "Giant growth" and after that "Fog"... the Creature wasn't blocked.

No bug. Cannot get around the Destroy with protection.

Show

I thought Protection means, it can't get targeted by Spells it has protection from...
I thought Protection means, it can't get targeted by Spells it has protection from...

Planar Cleansing doesn't target. It destroys everything indiscriminately. Protection from White won't stop it. Hexproof won't stop it. Only Indestructible would save a creature.

Protection only stops cards that specifically say "target" on them.
Protection also prevents damage actually, say protection from red would prevent a Flamebreak from killing the creature. Unfortunately for you, cleansing doesn't deal damage either.

Planar Cleansing doesn't target. It destroys everything indiscriminately. Protection from White won't stop it. Hexproof won't stop it. Only Indestructible would save a creature. And Regenerate effects.

Protection only stops cards that specifically say "target" on them.

fixed
Drifttheory, we have already established that that is indeed a bug. I don't know how you missed this.
Drifttheory, we have already established that that is indeed a bug. I don't know how you missed this.

Yea.
 just dropped the post.. When I came to the page it was showing his question as most recent. When my reply dropped I had a WTF moment because all the others poped up. Im doin this on XBLA. Its a little slow to boot sometimes. You already called me out before I knew what happened. lol quickdraw

XBLA: DriftTheoryDuB XBLA: drifttheoryDNB
Hehe, sorry, first thread I check is always the bug thread.
I'm thinking there may be an issue with Turn to Slag.

In two games now, I've had a Rumbling Baloth with three +1/+1 counters from Advocate of the Beast (effectively making it 7/7). On both occassions, the computer played a Turn to Slag card and killed the Rumbling Baloth.

[It looks like it's looking at the toughness w/o the counters?]

I'm running Magic 2014 on the PC/Steam.

I'm thinking there may be an issue with Turn to Slag.

In two games now, I've had a Rumbling Baloth with three +1/+1 counters from Advocate of the Beast (effectively making it 7/7). On both occassions, the computer played a Turn to Slag card and killed the Rumbling Baloth.

[It looks like it's looking at the toughness w/o the counters?]

I'm running Magic 2014 on the PC/Steam.

Fire Servant?
Heh, very possible. (And more likely than something that obvious slipping through this late.)
Sign In to post comments