Magic 2014 Gameplay Bug Reports & List

1344 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not really checked the bug list before, but just recalled another one you don't have.

Diluvian Primordial is supposed to exile spells it casts upon resolution, which it does, unless that spell causes a permanent to be put in the graveyard or (possibly) the exile zone. If so, the spell goes into the graveyard and the target is exiled instead.

This obviously causes a lot of problems, as if say paired with Jace in 2HG, you could repeatedly clone it and pull the same kill spell that should have been exiled to kill creatures, which will then exile them and prevent them from being ressurected, which is a problem for zombie decks.
Not really checked the bug list before, but just recalled another one you don't have.

Diluvian Primordial is supposed to exile spells it casts upon resolution, which it does, unless that spell causes a permanent to be put in the graveyard or (possibly) the exile zone. If so, the spell goes into the graveyard and the target is exiled instead.

This obviously causes a lot of problems, as if say paired with Jace in 2HG, you could repeatedly clone it and pull the same kill spell that should have been exiled to kill creatures, which will then exile them and prevent them from being ressurected, which is a problem for zombie decks.

Thanks again Stevo. I've been as vigilant as can but I do miss some posts now and again.
I will add that as reported. Let me know if you've had a multiple instance and I will put it in confirmed.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

No worries, and yeah, this happens all the time. I main Dimir so I see this often.

I can't recall if it fails to exile the stolen spell if the spell normally exiles a permanent (say with Path to Exile) but it definitely does if it should destroy it, and it then exiles that permanent instead. It happens with creatures with Doomblade and even lands with Bramblecrush and enchantments with Maelstrom Pulse.

All my reports are 360, so I should state that they're only confirmed there unless someone else wants to test them on other platforms.
No worries, and yeah, this happens all the time. I main Dimir so I see this often.

I can't recall if it fails to exile the stolen spell if the spell normally exiles a permanent (say with Path to Exile) but it definitely does if it should destroy it, and it then exiles that permanent instead. It happens with creatures with Doomblade and even lands with Bramblecrush and enchantments with Maelstrom Pulse.

All my reports are 360, so I should state that they're only confirmed there unless someone else wants to test them on other platforms.

Confirmed.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

One time I used Last Gasp on an opponent using CoDM, and they had Vigor out with a bunch of small creatures. I used Last Gasp on the 3/3 monster that makes a 1/1 token every time a land enters, and it gained 3/3 instead of dying. I distinctly remember being confused as hell when that happened as last gasp does not damage.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
EDIT: nevermind, Sean made a new thread herp derp reading is fun.
Fauna Shaman places the incorrect card into the library when using the special ability.  Playing on an iPad
Fauna Shaman places the incorrect card into the library when using the special ability.  Playing on an iPad

Do you have any more details? Fauna Shaman's ability doesn't put cards into your library.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Do you have any more details? Fauna Shaman's ability doesn't put cards into your library.

Oops, I meant it places the wrong card into your hand from your library.  Once you select your card, it will place a different card in your hand.
There's an issue when using Distress wherein after you chose a card and look at your oppenents hand, you can't close out of the interace with the close button. (Not sure if this is a PS3-exclusive bug.) If you try to close it with the continue button, the interface closes but it also continues the turn to the next phase. I really would like to Distress first (to see if my oppenent can react to my cards) before deciding what I want to play.

Usually, I just have to wait until the timer closes the interface for me.

Oops, I meant it places the wrong card into your hand from your library.  Once you select your card, it will place a different card in your hand.

What platform please?
No issue on PS3.

Show

What platform please?
No issue on PS3.

There's an issue when using Distress wherein after you chose a card and look at your oppenents hand, you can't close out of the interace with the close button. (Not sure if this is a PS3-exclusive bug.) If you try to close it with the continue button, the interface closes but it also continues the turn to the next phase. I really would like to Distress first (to see if my oppenent can react to my cards) before deciding what I want to play.

You have to select before confirm. If you accidentally double click the select and then press confirm, nothing happens.
Very easy to do with the new way of choosing.

Show

On iPad, selected cards appear in white, not orange (actaully that's the same on all platforms, but when you're pressing buttons instead of tapping it's easier to control). People are having trouble when you accidently tap a card earlier and then cycle along to the card you want and tap that. It will always just select the first card you tap. Try and tap carefully and you should be fine. Someone who actually plays on iPad could help you more, I'm just reiterating what has been said in this thread (and the technical one) many times before. I doubt it actually has anything to do with Fauna Shaman itself.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

You have to select before confirm. If you accidentally double click the select and then press confirm, nothing happens.
Very easy to do with the new way of choosing.

I'm talking about viewing the opponent's hand after you choose. Why would you have to choose again after you've already picked one?
Sorry jet, I misunderstood you. Looking at when I posted, I remember being a pinch distracted.
I don't have an answer for you at the moment.

Show

Lobotomy doesn't work.

Here is the card description:

"Target player reveals his or her hand, then you choose a card other than a basic land card from it. Search that player's graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as the chosen card and remove them from the game. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "

Situation where the bug arose:
Campaign step: Surviving the vulcano
Played deck: Masks of the Dimir
Round lobotomy was played: 4
Card that was picked: Lava hounds

Result: The lava hound from the hand was exiled, and only that card. A few rounds later the AI played another lava hound it drew from the library.
Also, side note: Lobotomy makes the player have to choose the card to exile twice.
Lobotomy always worked as intended for me. What platform you are on?
I will make you choose as many times as the opponents card count you are targeting.
Looks to me like he was running 2. You chose the one in his hand but somehow didn't choose the one in his library before you confirmed.

Show

Also, side note: Lobotomy makes the player have to choose the card to exile twice.

This part is working correctly.

First you choose a card, then you search for cards with that name.
Played Twincast just now (2HG) on a Flames of the Firebrand and the copy could not select a target more then once. After a long time of fumbling with blacked out cards to indicate that it's an invalid target, I magically targeted my opponents 3 times eventhough their avatars were grayed out as well...wut?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Twincast and reverberate are so bugged they have their own dedicated wire tap.
Bobtheratkillr: DeadWalkers doesn't operate well as an aggro deck.
Twincast is buggy.
Can any ipad users confirm that the bugs listed in the op have been fixed?
Thanks.

Show

Played Twincast just now (2HG) on a Flames of the Firebrand and the copy could not select a target more then once. After a long time of fumbling with blacked out cards to indicate that it's an invalid target, I magically targeted my opponents 3 times eventhough their avatars were grayed out as well...wut?

How many targets original Flames of the Firebrand had?

How many targets original Flames of the Firebrand had?

2: 1 creature and my teammate.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Sorry these have been brought up already.

1. In 2hg if Chandra casts an Inferno . Chandra's team takes no damage to the face and the opponets eat 12.

2. When playing Zombie pile if you have 9 or more lands on the table and Death Cloud for 8CMC pitch a Zombie Apocalypse you can cast said zombie apocalypse for 1 CMC.

Sorry I haven't learned how to insert cards in my posts yet. I believe I will go learn that now. 

XBL - Ranc1d Sheep

1. In 2hg if Chandra casts an Inferno . Chandra's team takes no damage to the face and the opponets eat 12.

Who was Chandra's ally? If it was Guardians of Light (Ajani) and the had Purity out then they would've lost 6 life and gained 6 life (seemingly negating the damage). That's the only reason I can think of for that to work that way.

"Lif is too short."

That is strange but dj is more than likely right.
GL as their teamate and a Fire Servant on the board.

Show

I got another one to report When you useovinize on the Elite Inquisitor He should lose ALL abilities and be turned into a 0/1 .....He does turn into a 0/1 but he keeps his Protection from Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves.. AG Blocked my zombie with the Elite and my friend ovinized it it took no damage, did not die and it was a wasted turn :P
Black Limbo, that has been a confimed bug for a while. Beware running it and Frog.

Show

While playing two-headed with two local players, if both players need to discard at the end-step, the game will not allow you to discard.

You can select the card, but pressing triangle (PS3 version) will not confirm the selection.  Have to restart/concede.
Occurred every time the criteria mentioned were met. 
Playing on the Xbox 360.  I cast Unsummon on a Phantasmal Image that was copying a Shadowborn Demon, and the Phantasmal Image card ended up in the graveyard, not my hand.
Playing on the Xbox 360.  I cast Unsummon on a Phantasmal Image that was copying a Shadowborn Demon, and the Phantasmal Image card ended up in the graveyard, not my hand.

Phantasmal Image Is an illusion in addition to other creature types. If it becomes the target of any spell or ability, sacrifice is.

So you unsummoned it and trigger the illusion suicide gene.
Don't know if this is just an xbox issue or not, but Solemn Offering in 2014 doesn't allow for destroying your own artifacts or enchantments whereas it did in 2013. It can come in handy to get a little life back when your back's against the wall (like this morning!).
Don't know if this is just an xbox issue or not, but Solemn Offering in 2014 doesn't allow for destroying your own artifacts or enchantments whereas it did in 2013. It can come in handy to get a little life back when your back's against the wall (like this morning!).

Go into your advanced options and turn off simplified targetting. That will solve your problem.

"Lif is too short."

Flameblast Dragon, may/must ability is not working.

Flameblast Dragon's ability actually works correctly. When the ability resolves, it asks for a target and if you select one you have to pay at least 1 mana (0 damage). If you don't want to use the ability, when it asks you to choose a target, you can click the "Finish" button on the bottom and it will not do any damage and you will not have to spend mana. If you do that, there is still a visual effect (a fireball) that shoots from the card to where your own lands are. The implementation of this ability in the game is wonky and could be done much better and in a more user-friendly manner. There should be a yes/no prompt asking you if you want to use it and only if you choose yes, should it ask you for targets and how much mana you want to spend.

Flameblast Dragon, may/must ability is not working.

Flameblast Dragon's ability actually works correctly. When the ability resolves, it asks for a target and if you select one you have to pay at least 1 mana (0 damage). If you don't want to use the ability, when it asks you to choose a target, you can click the "Finish" button on the bottom and it will not do any damage and you will not have to spend mana. If you do that, there is still a visual effect (a fireball) that shoots from the card to where your own lands are. The implementation of this ability in the game is wonky and could be done much better and in a more user-friendly manner. There should be a yes/no prompt asking you if you want to use it and only if you choose yes, should it ask you for targets and how much mana you want to spend.

You should be able to choose a target (say the opponents 3/3 which you have the open mana to kill), and if the opponent buffs the creature out of range then you are free to choose to not pay anything (which may be relevent for other cards in hand).

603.3d The remainder of the process for putting a triggered ability on the stack is identical to the process for casting a spell listed in rules 601.2c-d. If a choice is required when the triggered ability goes on the stack but no legal choices can be made for it, or if a rule or a continuous effect otherwise makes the ability illegal, the ability is simply removed from the stack.

601.2c The player announces his or her choice of an appropriate player, object, or zone for each target the spell requires. A spell may require some targets only if an alternative or additional cost (such as a buyback or kicker cost), or a particular mode, was chosen for it; otherwise, the spell is cast as though it did not require those targets. If the spell has a variable number of targets, the player announces how many targets he or she will choose before he or she announces those targets. The same target can't be chosen multiple times for any one instance of the word "target" on the spell. However, if the spell uses the word "target" in multiple places, the same object, player, or zone can be chosen once for each instance of the word "target" (as long as it fits the targeting criteria). If any effects say that an object or player must be chosen as a target, the player chooses targets so that he or she obeys the maximum possible number of such effects without violating any rules or effects that say that an object or player can't be chosen as a target. The chosen players, objects, and/or zones each become a target of that spell. (Any abilities that trigger when those players, objects, and/or zones become the target of a spell trigger at this point; they'll wait to be put on the stack until the spell has finished being cast.)

608.2d If an effect of a spell or ability offers any choices other than choices already made as part of casting the spell, activating the ability, or otherwise putting the spell or ability on the stack, the player announces these while applying the effect. The player can't choose an option that's illegal or impossible, with the exception that having a library with no cards in it doesn't make drawing a card an impossible action (see rule 120.3). If an effect divides or distributes something, such as damage or counters, as a player chooses among any number of untargeted players and/or objects, the player chooses the amount and division such that at least one player or object is chosen if able, and each chosen player or object receives at least one of whatever is being divided. (Note that if an effect divides or distributes something, such as damage or counters, as a player chooses among some number of target objects and/or players, the amount and division were determined as the spell or ability was put onto the stack rather than at this time; see rule 601.2d.)
Example: A spell's instruction reads, "You may sacrifice a creature. If you don't, you lose 4 life." A player who controls no creatures can't choose the sacrifice option.

This means that when flameblast dragon attacks, its ability triggers which requires a target to be put on the stack (there will usually always be a valid target (the only exception would be if every creature and player has shroud or equivalent)), then when the ability resolves you choose what you would pay but can choose to not pay anything (you don't need to pay anything to put the ability on the stack).

This analysis agrees with the gatherer rulings (obtained by clicking the link above):

10/1/2008 You choose the target when the ability triggers. When the ability resolves, you choose a value for X and decide whether to pay {X}{R}. If you do decide to pay {X}{R}, it's too late for any player to respond since the ability is already in the midst of resolving. 

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.
For the confirmed bugs part:

10. Last Gasp is triggering Vigor's ability when another card is targeted. 

I just had a game where my team mate targeted my opponent's piper with last gasp with vigor under this opponent's control. Piper died, vigor ability didn't trigger.  
This means that when flameblast dragon attacks, its ability triggers which requires a target to be put on the stack (there will usually always be a valid target (the only exception would be if every creature and player has shroud or equivalent)), then when the ability resolves you choose what you would pay but can choose to not pay anything (you don't need to pay anything to put the ability on the stack).

This analysis agrees with the gatherer rulings (obtained by clicking the link above):

10/1/2008 You choose the target when the ability triggers. When the ability resolves, you choose a value for X and decide whether to pay {X}{R}. If you do decide to pay {X}{R}, it's too late for any player to respond since the ability is already in the midst of resolving. 

The card reads: "Whenever Flameblast Dragon attacks, you may pay Red ManaX Mana. If you do, Flameblast Dragon deals X damage to target creature or player."

Here is how I understood it. When it attacks, I choose whether to pay Red ManaX Mana, and if I do I've already chosen the amount of mana to spend. And then comes the part of chosing a target - if there are no legal targets, nothing happens even if I've paid.

It seems that my thinking is wrong because these additonal choices are made as the ability resolves. But I think this ability is poorly worded and creates confusion. Since choosing targets is the first thing to be done, "target creature or player" shouldn't be the last thing mentioned in the ability description. How does the below proposition sound to someone more experienced than me?

"Whenever Flameblast Dragon attacks, choose target creature or player. You may pay Red ManaX Mana. If you do, Flameblast Dragon deals X damage to that creature or player." 

I have to mention that I am relatively new to Magic and have only played DotP games, so I haven't delved into such intricacies with the rules.

I'd also like another clarification. When I cast Flames of the Firebrand, say I choose two targets - a creature and a player. If the creature is no longer a legal target when the ability resolves, can I assign all of the damage to the player? Or if the creature got buffed by Giant Growth, can I choose to do 0 damage to it and 3 to the player? If the answer to these questions is yes, that means that many cards aren't implemented correctly in DotP because all choices an ability or spell may have are made before it is put on the stack.
Division of damage is one of the choices made during the casting of a spell, so you can't change it when the spell resolves.

That said, technically it's still not implemented correctly in DotP, since the division is supposed to be a separate action from choosing targets. The way DotP handles it would be correct if Flames of the Firebrand were worded like Seeds of Strength.
Sign In to post comments