Protection and Damage

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does damage stay on a creature even if the creature has protection from the color of the source of damage?  So, if the creature then loses the protection, would it die?

Example: My opponent control an etched champion and 2 memnites (These are his only artifacts).  If I cast pyroclasm, does everything die?  The champ has protection from red (and other colors) due to metalcraft, but loses it when the 2 memnites die.  Is there still 2 damage on the champ to kill it?

Thanks!!!
html_removed
iFrame Removed
html_removed
html_removed
Does damage stay on a creature even if the creature has protection from the color of the source of damage?  So, if the creature then loses the protection, would it die?

if the creature was damaged while it had protection from the damage source, the damage would be prevented and not dealt at all

if the creature was damaged and has the damaged marked on it, then gains protection, protection will not remove the pre-existing damage and it will remain in place if the creature loses that protection, unless the protection happens to be removed in the cleanup step when the marked damage is simultaneously removed

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Is there still 2 damage on the champ to kill it?

No.
See, Pyroclasm deals damage to each creature simultaneously, as it resolves.
At the moment this damage is dealt, Champion is protected, so ZERO damage is dealt to Champion.
Then the Memnites die from that damage, and Champion loses its protection.
But it's too late for Pyroclasm: it won't «come back in time» and try to re-damage Champion.

You might confuse Protection with Indestructibility:
Protection makes so that the creature receives NO damage at all; Indestructibility doesn't.
Indestructible creatures DO receive any damage thrown at them, they just refuse to die from it!
But the damage lingers on; if they lose their indestructibility, then YES, accumulated damage will kill them (if enough damage has been dealt, of course).