Is the crappy formatting just a poor attempt at DRM? **RANT about carriage returns**

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why in the hell is there a carraige return after every word when I cut and paste?  Is there any point at all to this?  

Why in the hell does the flavor text in Mud Sorc Tomb come out as :

A/53!%$*E07*$B!?1,2E!,+!7*$#5('!53!(/'!'#(*$#2'!(,!
(/'!(,9?=!K(''1!5#3'(3!5#!(/'!3(,#'!?1,2E!3<'11!,)(!
(/*''!:,*%3f!VJ**)E5S8W!VJS%*)?$18W!$#%!
VJ1,92:'=W!

for the flavor text?  If I am playing online, I need to toss that into the chat window so my players will have some clue that Elomcwe is spelled with the same letters as welcome.

I can understand DRM, well, no, I can't.  You have a packet that will be obsolete in a month, why bother. You also give the thing away.

Just stop it. 
What program are you using to view the PDF?

I freely cut and paste from the playtest document when citing rules, with no problem, using Preview on my iMac.

Danny

I use Sumatra.  All it does is add an extra space between words.  I never get code like that.

Cut and paste with Sumatra:

A/53!%$*E07*$B!?1,2E!,+!7*$#5('!53!(/'!'#(*$#2'!(,!
(/'!(,9?=!K(''1!5#3'(3!5#!(/'!3(,#'!?1,2E!3<'11!,)(!
(/*''!:,*%3f!VJ**)E5S8W!VJS%*)?$18W!$#%!
VJ1,92:'=

It is the same.  Not having to deal with a carraige return after every word was refreshing though.

What program are you using to view the PDF?

I freely cut and paste from the playtest document when citing rules, with no problem, using Preview on my iMac.

For me, it's anything I copy from a DnD Next pdf viewed with Acrobat Pro 9. If I copy and paste into anything (forum comment box, word document, etc.), it adds a carriage return after every single word so that the paragraph instead becomes a column of single words.
Yeah, I have the same problem. It made playtesting the last packet overly difficult because I had just wanted to print out only the spells and monsters we were using. Now I've discovered that I can use the Microsoft Snipping Tool to copy and paste as a pic into Word, so if and when we get around to the new packet I'll be using that.
This is what he is talking about:

Barbarian
A
barbarian
relies
on
a
berserker
fury
and
unmatched
durability
to
overwhelm
foes.
Many
barbarians
are
chaotic,
but
the
feral
rage
that
this
class
channels
burns
in
almost
any
heart.

Yeah that's really annoying. Is there any workaround?

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Sumatra works fine for anything that is not encoded like Mud Sorcerer's Tomb.  Thanks for that tip Thewok.  I will also try that copy and paste as a pic too, but I suspect the formatting will be a pain.
Yeah that's really annoying. Is there any workaround?

If it's just a small amount of text I'm quoting, I'll just remove the carriage returns manually. If it's a couple of paragraphs or more that I want to print for a game session, I take a screenshot, paste it into ms paint, cut the section I need, then paste that into a word document with other sections for printing. It's a little bit of extra work, but it's the best way I've found to get the job done for now.
Hmm... bum deal, guys.

Cut and paste from Preview is absolutely seemless.

Apple, it just works. Hehe. 

Danny

This is in no way a DRM attempt. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I'm using MS Word. I do a replace " ^p " (for carriage return) with " " (a space). It drops all the CRs, gives you all the text in a big block. Still have to format it, but it's better than a CR after every word (to me, anyway).
This is in no way a DRM attempt. 

And today, your logical fallacy is: Burden of Proof.
Can't prove a negative.  The onus is on the accuser (i.e. you) to provide proof that your statement is true.
The proof is in my post:  Encoding flavor text to come out as jibberish when copy and pasted.

Now your logical fallacy is: tu quoque.
No, it's not.  However, your logical fallacy is: assuming something incorrectly.  Also, you're guilty of: fallacious fallacitus, which is the fallacy in which one believes that a logical fallacy immediately invalidates a conclusion or viewpoint (very prevalent on the Internet, where people love to whip out intelligent-sounding phrases to make themselves look superior).  Jesus, people.  We're not in a college debate class here.

I'm not discounting your position because of your failure to prove your point, but from the logical conclusion that it makes no sense to have DRM in a file that's freely available to anyone that wants it.  It seems to be that it's a byproduct of the PDF encoding process--probably the box that the text is in.
I'm using MS Word. I do a replace " ^p " (for carriage return) with " " (a space). It drops all the CRs, gives you all the text in a big block. Still have to format it, but it's better than a CR after every word (to me, anyway).

Thanks for that tip! That works, too. Okay, now at least I have two ways to get around this when I need to (Snipping Tool and paste, and now "^p" to " " ).

This works nicely.
I'm not discounting your position because of your failure to prove your point, but from the logical conclusion that it makes no sense to have DRM in a file that's freely available to anyone that wants it.  It seems to be that it's a byproduct of the PDF encoding process--probably the box that the text is in.

Ahh no.  There are literally hundreds of counter examples on the Wizard's site that prove this to be wrong.  None of their other pdf's have this crappy formatting.  It is not a byproduct, it was introduced on purpose, so the byproduct possibility is out.  You are like the detective who assumes that if the body was carried in by the tide, it's clear and definite proof that the victim drowned - there's no need to look for bullet holes.

You also misrepresent my argument entirely (Your logica fallacy here is: strawman).   I never said the crappy formatting was Wizard's poor way of adding DRM.

The godawful copy/paste shenanigans are probably a relic of the giant diagonal "PLAYTEST" they used to have on there.
I'd guess the problems with flavortext is goofy encoding of italic text.

At any rate, all of it can be evaded by saving to a png or jpeg (or printing and scanning) and OCR'ing the results.

I was with the same problem searching for a solution and loged into my account just to tell you to use: http://www.textfixer.com/tools/remove-line-breaks.php

Example:

Choose
a
creature
within
range
that
you
can
see.
You
blast
the
creature’s
mind,
attempting
to
shatter
its
intellect
and
personality.

Feeblemind 5th-­level enchantment Casting Time: 1 action Range: 100 feet Duration: Permanent Choose a creature within range that you can see. You blast the creature’s mind, attempting to shatter its intellect and personality. If the target’s hit point maximum is less than 150, it takes 4d6 psychic damage and must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature’s Intelligence and Charisma scores become 3. The creature cannot cast spells, use magic item powers, understand language, or communicate in any coherent way. The creature can, however, identify its friends, follow them, and even protect them. The spell can be ended by greater restoration, heal, limited wish, or wish. At Higher Level: When you cast this spell using a spell slot 6th level or higher, the hit point maximum that feeblemind can effect increases by 25 for each level above 5th. Material Components: A handful of clay, crystal, glass, or mineral spheres.

Have fun with your gamimg!

I have removed content from this thread because use of profanity is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: http://www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_company_about_codeofconduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Comment button below the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty. 

Oddly, only two pages of the Mud Sorcerer pdf seem to suffer from the random-character-copy-and-paste problem. They are the pages with embedded images. I suspect a buggy pdf generator.