Paper Pauper

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm curious how many people have pauper decks.  I'm also curious how many people have competitively viable Pauper decks.  For those of you who play Paper Pauper, do you use cards that aren't available on MTGO?  For example, I run a MBC Pauper deck, and it has Hymn to Tourach and Sinkhole because they're commons, but MTGO's ruling is only cards that have been released at Common in a set released on MTGO.  Hymn was an Uncommon in Masters Edition, the only set it's available to Online players through, while Sinkhole was a rare.  ABU and Fallen Empires clearly weren't released on MTGO, but I've always seen Paper players ignore that ruling.

So, what deck do you play, and how closely do you follow MTGO sets to know what's legal in Pauper?

Also, with Modern Masters, the following cards became legal in pauper:
Arcbound Wanderer
Bound in Silence
Crush Underfoot
Dampen Thought
Hammerheim Deadeye
Hana Kami
Imperiosaur
Moldervine Cloak
Otherworldly Journey
Perilous Research
Petals of Insight
Street Wraith
Syphon Life
Test of Faith
Thundering Giant
Walker of the Grove
Warren Weirding

I think Imperiosaur has a strong chance of becoming a Stompy staple, while Street Wraith and Syphon Life might work for MBC (I'm personally going to try out Street Wraith).  Perilous Research is a pretty powerful draw spell for something like Ninja Delver or 8 Post, so I'm curious if either will try it out.  Iirc, Modern Masters goes up on MTGO this Friday, so we'll see how it effects the Dailies.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I've been getting into pauper lately, yet havent put together a solid deck yet.
Hadn't yet realized MM was making new cards legal. Nice.
Agreed about Imperiosaur, could be a hit...
I also think Otherworldly Journey could be a good addition to flicker decks...
I have a mono green pauper deck and i know a couple other guys have one or who are interested in playing one, but i'm too busy with other formats to actually play it.  But thanks for pointing out Imperiosaur...    
I have a Pauper deck (Mono-white soldiers).

At my old LGS the rules were:
- all sets were legal
- as long as a card was ever printed at common you could use it, but you could only use cards with black expansion symbols in your deck

~ Tim     
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Pauper actually got me workin on a different kitchen table format I'm calling "Chrome" for now.
I'm gonna present it to my brother and some friends for somethin different, but this 'format' is only going to include uncommons that have a silver expansion symbol.
No special printings like commander or UNcards, just expansions and core sets.
I'm workin on a pair of deck ideas to test against each other, one B/R vampires, one B/G reanimator type...
Already think a couple cards would have to get restricted too.
I suppose I should ask if its already been tried before? I haven't heard of it but am I trying something that's already failed for some reason?
I've got a mono red one I have been working online with.  I need to figure out some revisions I think.  It does really good normally though I have some trouble with the mono black card advantage deck.  The biggest problem I have though is with the cloudpost decks.  Really need to figure out a plan for them.  Also I think I need to focus the deck more on the vampires and remove some of the other stuff.
You can competitive in Pauper really easily. Some uncommon cards were at one point common. And vice-versa.

Examples:

Syncopate
Act of Treason 
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.
I'm trying to put together some kind of monogreen Midrange, or even Control, but it's awkward since most good removal in green is uncommon (Beast Within, Bramblecrush, and Krosan Grip).   I do have access to Mwonvuli Acid-Moss, Crushing Vines, Ice Storm, and Lignify, which are all solid removal for green, and I'm sure some digging into utility artifacts will turn something up (then again, Serrated Arrows sees enough play that I could be over overestimating common artifacts).

Still, I'd like to put this together.  Any good suggestions for a viable monogreen Control deck?
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Tangle Golem could be a good beater for (most likely) cheap CMC.
Entangling Vines ?
Gilt-Leaf Seer ?
Ambush Viper is 'removal', sort of...
I'm trying to put together some kind of monogreen Midrange, or even Control, but it's awkward since most good removal in green is uncommon (Beast Within, Bramblecrush, and Krosan Grip).   I do have access to Mwonvuli Acid-Moss, Crushing Vines, Ice Storm, and Lignify, which are all solid removal for green, and I'm sure some digging into utility artifacts will turn something up (then again, Serrated Arrows sees enough play that I could be over overestimating common artifacts).

Still, I'd like to put this together.  Any good suggestions for a viable monogreen Control deck?

Hornet Sting  is a very common sideboard removal card for mono green.  Not amazing, but it comes in handy against many decks.  

Hornet Sting  is a very common sideboard removal card for mono green.  Not amazing, but it comes in handy against many decks.  

Ack!  How could I forget about Hornet Sting?  I love that card!
My local club play quite a bit of pauper to give new players a more enjoyable experience than getting beaten all the time by competative standard decks.  But we play standard pauper, so just commons from the standard card pool.  Its still a lot of fun.
Better to put your own cap on the card pool, I think. Including all commons is overwhelming in ways, theres so many!
I can see why mtg has a cutoff tho, keeps stuff like Sinkhole and Hymn out of it, just too powerful for pauper.
I might still play pauper (if I stop working on Chrome that is) so is there a list of legal sets for pauper somewhere or rather the list of what's been released on mtgo? (without actually being on mtgo...)
Better to put your own cap on the card pool, I think. Including all commons is overwhelming in ways, theres so many!
I can see why mtg has a cutoff tho, keeps stuff like Sinkhole and Hymn out of it, just too powerful for pauper.
I might still play pauper (if I stop working on Chrome that is) so is there a list of legal sets for pauper somewhere or rather the list of what's been released on mtgo? (without actually being on mtgo...)

MTGO Pauper includes every common (not on the ban list) from Mirage on. That's the earliest, non-Master's Edition set that is available on it.
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
Ah, thank you sir. That's a little more manageable than including everything from Alpha forward.
Mirage huh? I guess my playset of John Coulthart Dark Rits is a good place to start then...
First turn Phyrexian Rager or Liliana's Specter seems decent...
i love pauper, i beentrying to get my friends intrested. but they love group games,  do not.
I miss the old days.
i love pauper, i beentrying to get my friends intrested. but they love group games,  do not.

Have you considered Free-For-All Pauper?

I skimmed through, and didn't see anyone mention Mouldervine Cloak. Which is sick at common.
And so is Test of Faith.

Both really good for Pauper. 

And don't forget Rancor is legal in pauper. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Dumb question probably, but if pauper is 'the poor man's format', how do paper pauper players view foiled decks?
Is it bad practice to play a hundred dollar deck in a fifty dollar format?
I'm laughin at myself for askin right now, like I said, dumb question...
Dumb question probably, but if pauper is 'the poor man's format', how do paper pauper players view foiled decks? Is it bad practice to play a hundred dollar deck in a fifty dollar format? I'm laughin at myself for askin righy now, like I said, dumb question...

Card legality is one thing; swagging out your deck is something everyone should do ;)
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
I agree! Pauper seems the easiest way to foil your deck out obviously... so long as you build from Urza's forward...
That really wouldn't be a pompous thing to do?
Kinda like bringing an Aston Martin to a Mini Cooper car show?
I agree! Pauper seems the easiest way to foil your deck out obviously... so long as you build from Urza's forward... That really wouldn't be a pompous thing to do? Kinda like bringing an Aston Martin to a Mini Cooper car show?

Nah. At least if you busted it out against me, I'd give it props. Plus, I like to swag decks out too. Got enough of those DGM Prerelease Foil Plains for any White deck I make, and I love to show em' off.

-Edit-

Also, I don't mind other languages, as I know the cards from their art (for the relevant formats, at least). Others might not be OK with having to have multiple cards explained to them
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
Personally, I really like foils. While Pauper is a very accessible format, that shouldn't dissuade someone from deck pimping. I'm working on a Stompy variant and priority number one is getting relevant foils. Most decks cost around $20-$30 due to the lack of an expensive mana base. Even Post has it easy. Foil Cloudpost is like $5 or $6, tops. Sounds pretty budget to me.
I agree! Pauper seems the easiest way to foil your deck out obviously... so long as you build from Urza's forward... That really wouldn't be a pompous thing to do? Kinda like bringing an Aston Martin to a Mini Cooper car show?

Nah, you just came with the custom paintjob. No one really cares how much money you sink into your deck as long as it doesn't keep them from beating you.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Nice to know I'm not the only 'deck swagger'...
Some people really hate foils and foreign cards, not I.
My Russian Dread Returns are high on my list of faves and my Chancellor of the Spires is Russian AND foil.
Now to go common foil shopping and get more foil basics too... Bling for the poor man's format, aww yeah.
I have a foil, promo Greek Questing Phelddagrif that I'm super proud of, and an Italian Phelddagrif to match. Also, I love getting my cards signed by the artist. My favorite kind of bling.
Sign In to post comments