Would allowing players to keep...

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would allowing players to keep past powers (aka not training them away) break 4e? If every class you do it but still only be allowed that certain amount per day (as adjudicated on pg 29 of the PHB) would it make every class overpowered?

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Like a spell book situation? You could trade a power slot down for a lower level power? Someone has a similar thread going and while it opens up some possible abusive routes ultimately it depends on your players. If they're hard min/maxers who take every advantage they can get it might get a bit out of hand, but otherwise it just lets them have more variety. Ultimately its your game, and if you're willing to work the balance (or just roll with it) then it shouldn't matter.
Not hugely, no.  It would make people a lot more flexible, but wouldn't particularly break anything.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The net effect of this is more or less just giving players more options and versatility. At some tables though, that might be overkill, as more choices sometimes leads to more anaylsis paralysis.

Some classes are going to be more empowered by it than others, mostly strikers who can stack minor action attacks... How much would depend on whether or not characters were required to pick a set of powers for the day or if they could simply choose which ones to use when they attack.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

There's one power in particular that I can think of for my storm sorcerer that would seriously break the game if I could repeat it 3-4 times. The Lightning Fury PP power "Furious Bolts".
There's one power in particular that I can think of for my storm sorcerer that would seriously break the game if I could repeat it 3-4 times. The Lightning Fury PP power "Furious Bolts".

That's a good point.
Fighters would presumably spam Come And Get It or Rain of Blows, depending if they're more into control/defend or being strikery. 
Keeping all of their powers would be fine.
Allowing them to take the same one multiple times? You're asking for trouble if you have a Sorc, sticky Fighter, Paragon+ Warlord, or Charm/Dominate style controller. They (and a few others) have powers that can already trivialize encounters.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Correct me if I am wrong, but nobody suggested allowing multiple uses of the same power. So you couldnt repeat Rain of Blows, for example. You would just have extra Encounter powers starting at level 13.
Yeah I don't know where people got that either. All I was asking was if I allowed my players to keep every power they take instead of train them away. Though I could see people taking forever trying to decide what to use. 

... If only the character builder allowed more advanced houserules... 

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

It makes you more flexible, is the main advantage.  It allows, for instance, a Ranger to take all the high-damage triple-hitter encounter powers, and still have Disruptive Strike on tap if necessary.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
This idea would end one of the things about 4E leveling that bugs me a little-
The possibillity of getting rid of a type of attack as you lvel up.
Like a weapon user tradeing his close burst for a single target or an implement user giving up his only power that did a specific damage type for another.  
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
I'd probably keep the power per encounter/day limit to 3 (4 past 11th & 20th level per power type) per encounter/day, but I don't see why letting them keep all their options would be a bad thing. I might even do away with the power per limit if I felt it would make combat run fairly quick against tougher sorts of encounter builds. Definitely would elimitate the 5 minute work day a little better
Wouldn't break the game.  Would give more choices to the players for given situation.  More choices in combat = more fun.  Only draw back is, your players got to know their powers or else be long time reading each of them to see which one fits best when it's their turn.

I think 4E forced players to discard and train into new powers for purpose of making each pc of same class some what special based on what powers they choose & how they want to fight.  But me thinks different class provides that flavor so pro beats the con.  IMO

The net effect of this is more or less just giving players more options and versatility. At some tables though, that might be overkill, as more choices sometimes leads to more anaylsis paralysis.

That's why we couldn't use it. Two of our players (both slow readers) always wait until their turns to start thinking about what they want to do that turn and always have to re-read all of their powers. Giving them even more choices would grind the game to complete halt as they took 15 minutes per turn – each! *shudders*

That said, my wife and I, and the younger brother of one those two guys, would love it as we all know well in advance what we're going to do. The kid is great at flavoring his attacks (that's why he loves GURPS so much) so he picks the power that does the effects that go with the flavor he wants to use. I'd love to see what he could do with a wider variety of powers.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

Another thing you have to worry about is the wizard.

The wizard's entire schtick is the ability to keep a spellbook.  He can keep older spells and prepare them at later levels.  It's a class feature.

So, what you should do is find something for the wizard to replace that facet of the Wizard's Spellbook feature.  Of course, if no one is playing a wizard, it's not a problem.
I feel like the variety is good, but I would keep the limit for encounters just to keep the challenging decision for players of when to use their dailies. That seems to be a struggle for some.
     Probably not a good idea.  We have complaints now that 4e is too slow and complicated, and adding more choices just adds to this, so you mostly would get longer character sheets and slower play and the PC now has the option of swinging for less damage.  [Now the PC can keep an heroic special power as well as the more powerful Paragon, but in most cases the heroic power was inferior at heroic levels {Say the power makes you immune to cold, but only does half damage.  So you don't select it at heroic.  But at Paragon, while it is even worse, there will be those rare case where you are fighting something that does much cold damage, and you would love to have it for those rare events.}and he would need to retrain as well, for something he would rarely use.]
     And as noted, 4e has its share of advantage seekers.  There is definite risk of game breaking this way.

But I think the main problem is that the player has plenty of options as it is. 

Sign In to post comments