Shield Questions

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a couple questions about shields

1) Shields and bows
Is it possible to use a one-handed bow while your light shield is equipped?  Being a one-handed crossbow, it seems like this would be okay, but it also seems awkward to use a bow with a shield on your arm.

2) Always wearing shield
Upon learning that it is a standard action to equip or stow your shield, one player has decided to just always wear the shield.  Is there any kind of penalty for this like slower speed or something?  They are proficient with the shield, but it seems out of character for someone to constantly walk around with the shield equipped.

Thanks 
Check out the rules forums for rule based questions.

1) A hand crossbow and a shield work together. Any other type of bow that requires two hands it will not work.

2) Penalty for wearing sheilds is a -2 to certain skill checks. 
1) All bows, and all crossbows (except for the hand crossbow), are two-handed weapons.  So no use of shield, or anything else in either hand besides the bow.  If a melee-oriented character who uses a shield wants a ranged option, the usual thing is to have a thrown weapon available rather than a bow.

2) It is generally polite to the players to let them be combat-ready whenever a combat occurs, unless you have a particular reason in-game to decide otherwise for a particular fight.  Like if you're specifically forcing them to be peace-bonded for the start of a fight, in order to up the challenge.  But otherwise, just let them be ready to fight when the fight happens.  It avoids arguments, keeps players happy, and gets the fights moving faster.
Indeed - wandering around with shields on isn't exactly unusual in a D&D world, and forcing people to bookkeep the starts of fights is annoying.  Don't bother with it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I would rather say as a player it's rather annoying when you are "forced" by the DM to stow your shield becuase there is no reason to keep it equiped according to the DM and then walk right into a "suprise" encounter and being forced to lose a round equiping yourself. :P

Although it might be realistic sometimes most of the time it will be annoying as hell. Not to mention the arguments you can get to see if the character would normally prepare for danger or not. It is one of those things that will get people annoyed at eachother fast. Both player and DM.
I definitely do want to force the player into doing something just because it seems odd to me.  It was just that I saw you needed a standard action to equip or stow a shield.  That to me implied there would be some penalty to always having it equipped so as to avoid that action.  But not a big deal if it is common.  I will let it be.

As for the bow, he is using a hand cross-bow, so he is all set there too. 

Thank you for the feedback.   
Ocular Adept PP (hunter, ranger or seeker) lets you use a shield and any Bow or Crossbow at level 16. In the other hand you can have a melee weapon or something usefull too.

Spiriteye Perfection (16th level): Your spiriteye floats above you when you manifest it, and you can mentally control its attacks. It no longer requires any hands to wield it, and when you use it to make a ranged basic attack, it does not provoke opportunity attacks.
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
I definitely do want to force the player into doing something just because it seems odd to me.  It was just that I saw you needed a standard action to equip or stow a shield.  That to me implied there would be some penalty to always having it equipped so as to avoid that action.  But not a big deal if it is common.  I will let it be.

As for the bow, he is using a hand cross-bow, so he is all set there too. 

Thank you for the feedback.   

I think the Standard is there to limit combat shenanigans like attacking with two weapons or a two-handed weapon on your turns and then switching to a shield for the monsters turns.

I've had people take their shields off to make climb checks, swim checks, endurance checks, and the like, so they don't take the penalty. In this situations, if they get attacked, they won't have their shield on. But otherwise, I assume they have it equipped. I also use an unspoken rule that when initiative is rolled, people pull out their weapons, implements, what have you, as part of the initiative.

I used to keep track of what people have in their hands when they are trying to do random stuff. In the middle of combat when the rogue decides to pick a lock, I'd ask him what he does with the daggers in his hands. I've even stepped away from that, because if the scene requires that he pick a lock, I'm okay with the weapons being stowed away and pulled back out "off-camera". I never want to see a player turn that goes "minor put away one dagger, minor put away the other dagger, minor pull out lock picks, done, I guess I'll move over there and open the lock next turn."
I agree.  I don't want to get to the point of micro-managing everytime a character moves an arm.  

I like the idea of assuming that everyone gets loaded for bear when we roll initiative.  That makes sense.

INdeed - if there's one thing Next has definitely done right, it's removing that sort of tedious bookkeeping.  If you want to drink a potion, use a different weapon (probably not change a shield or armour), the actions to draw it, put away what you were holding, redraw what you were holding etc, shouldn't be something that you have to mention.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
INdeed - if there's one thing Next has definitely done right, it's removing that sort of tedious bookkeeping.  If you want to drink a potion, use a different weapon (probably not change a shield or armour), the actions to draw it, put away what you were holding, redraw what you were holding etc, shouldn't be something that you have to mention.

That the bookkeeping is relatively tedious in 4e isn't a good reason to make it free. The cost in versimilitude is expensive.
Language, MwaO.  Verisimilitude is a dirty word! :P

I honestly think 4e would work much more as intended, if everyone had quick draw, quick sheathe, and potion bandoliers.  I don't see any problem with the idea of someone, whilst running across a room, sheathing a weapon, quaffing a potion, and drawing another weapon, then attacking.  If you're really concerned about it getting silly, you could put limits on the number of times it should work per round (maybe only swap between weapons once, so you can't sheathe, draw, shoot, sheathe, draw, and still take OAs, for instance), but in general, it just irritates - my epic Knight can't drink potions without spending silly amounts of time dickering about what he's dropping and picking up and sheathing and drawing.  It shouldn't take a guy with a heavy shield or two weapons a full round to drink a potion (drop weapon, draw potion, drink potion, pick up weapon.  Woo, that was heroic.).  He can teleport across the entire map and attack two or three people, drag them off with him, and bring two allies with him whilst doing so, in the same amount of time, but he can't swig from a small bottle, which could easily be gripped in a couple of fingers of a weapon hand, the cork bitten out, and knocked back.

Maybe the value of a whole bunch of feats and things changes at that point, but I don't think it breaks the game or its believability.  Indeed, in most cases I think it enhances it.
Language, MwaO.  Verisimilitude is a dirty word! :P

I just find it completely ironic how lacking Verisimilitude Next is, yet that was one of their design goals.

I honestly think 4e would work much more as intended, if everyone had quick draw, quick sheathe, and potion bandoliers.  I don't see any problem with the idea of someone, whilst running across a room, sheathing a weapon, quaffing a potion, and drawing another weapon, then attacking.  If you're really concerned about it getting silly, you could put limits on the number of times it should work per round (maybe only swap between weapons once, so you can't sheathe, draw, shoot, sheathe, draw, and still take OAs, for instance), but in general, it just irritates - my epic Knight can't drink potions without spending silly amounts of time dickering about what he's dropping and picking up and sheathing and drawing.

The solution is reasonably straightforward - spend a minor action and do as much of that as you like in a round rather than each individual action costing a minor action and feel free to refluff how you do it without needing to get into specific mechanics. Or spend a feat for Quickdraw or other item-swapping option and not even need to spend the minor. The key difference is that spending a minor action or feat.

i.e. it isn't completely free to be silly. 
Yeah, that solution works too.
During combat, my PC said something to my party members. The DM told me I just used up a minor action. My turn had ended. That felt really awesome - a PC not able to multitask to the point talking uses up an action.
During combat, my PC said something to my party members. The DM told me I just used up a minor action. My turn had ended. That felt really awesome - a PC not able to multitask to the point talking uses up an action.

It is a free action to talk as per the rules. If your DM is going to change the rules, he should warn you ahead of time...

Oh I know it is a free action. This DM has a lot of houserules that are explained after the fact...

Oh I know it is a free action. This DM has a lot of houserules that are explained after the fact...

those DMs frequently end up with a lot of bruises and empty chairs as well
My chair will certainly be empty before the next session...
My chair will certainly be empty before the next session...

Don't forget the bruises, those are an important teaching tool as well. Wink
I wish. This is an online game, can't really play locally... The best I can do is verbal abuse.
Sign In to post comments