How 'critical' should critical hits be?

I have to say that the change to the 'critical hit' rule is not making me happy.

-It's gone from max damage plus another die of damage to just an addional die of damage...
example: if a normal hit does 1d6+2 damage the old crit would have done 6+2+1d6 damage. Now it does 2d6+2 damage. So the possible results have gone from a minimum of 9 points of damage on a crit to a minimum of 4 points.

In another system (that shall remain nameless), we use a card deck to determine exactly what happens in a critical hit. We tend to like our critical hits to be really critical... 

What's the consensus?    
It would be my preference that critical hits simply maximized damage—period.

Nothing fancy, nothing to remember, nothing special, no riders, no additions... just maximize damage.

Done.

Danny

I like critical hit damage to have more torque than it has now for sure. Previous incarnation was perhaps too much with multiple [W] from Deadly Strike but maximizing damage rather than roll it has the advantage of having an even faster resolution, cutting a step in the process while giving assured results of peak damage. The current incarnation doesn't guarantee that and seems one of the most commun disliked change people give feedback on i could read so far.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I made a houserule in an earlier playtest that my players loved. When you roll a 20, you deal max damage, then make another attack roll. If the new roll hits, you increase the damage by a normal damage roll. Theoretically, if you kept rolling 20s, you could deal infinite damage, but the probability of dealing more than Max*2 + Normal is incredibly low. In reality, you mostly dealt Max + Normal, which was the critical hit rule at the time.
I'm not a fan of the new crit rule at all. I'm one who does not like over-powered attacks and overly high damage in general, but I've always felt that crits should be the exception and should feel special. The last packet had it perfect, but the new one is very "blah" feeling and it certainly doesn't feel that special to crit with these new rules.
I am ignoring the new crit ruling and using the previous packet of max damage plus an etra die.
Critical hits are not very important to the overall game of D&D, which had multiple editions before there was even anything more special about roll a natural 20 than "you hit no matter what."

The way in which D&D crits function (i.e. every attack has a 5% chance of critical) doesn't really let the frequency of critical hits be special as it happens far too often, so the effect should be one that you wouldn't mind having happen frequently - to both the PCs and their enemies.

The prior packet had critical rules that meant any particular attack had a 5% chance of being completely devastating, dealing 50% or more of the intended targets hit points with frightening ease.

The current packet lets a critical automatically hit (not a big deal in Next since nothing is all that hard to hit in the first place) and makes the damage potential a bit higher - and is a complete 180 on the old packet as to whether it favors higher or lower leveled characters, as getting to add an extra d12 on top of your 1d12+3 looks a lot more impressive than adding an extra d12 to 5d12+5 (and in the old packet the same situation reverse where turning 1d12+3 into 1d12+15 is less impressive than turning 5d12+5 into 1d12+65)

Personally, I am a huge fan of the (some would say overly) complex critical hit system found in HackMaster - the degree by which the attack succeeded, amount of damage actually rolled on the normal damage roll for the attack, and location which was targeted by the critical all work together to determine the added effect of the crtical... and the range of effects is actually from "nothing special beyond declaring the location hit" to severed limbs/instant death.

It is a lot less "lol, random" than a 5% chance that your whole thought of how the battle was going is now changed.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Critical hits are not very important to the overall game of D&D, which had multiple editions before there was even anything more special about roll a natural 20 than "you hit no matter what."

You make a lot of good points above.

In the interest of simplicity, I'm also a supporter of "you hit no matter what" in lieu of all the other things we've seen in the packets—even in lieu of straight max damage (if that proves to be an issue).

Danny

I'd prefer if you had to roll to confirm, and also the critical did a more appreciable effect, like max damage plus roll.
I like the extra die.  In an edition where the PCs already do a lot of damage, max damage becomes unbalancing.  I can also see it being easily customisable.  Have it as it is plus the wounds module.  Add the maximum of the additional die to rolled damage for max damage light.  Spend a fighter expertise die to max your whole damage.  And so on.
Critical hits first shouldn't be in the game if fumbles aren't also.  Simply maximum damage is okay, but there should be potential to exceed the maximum damage of a normal attack or the critical hit isn't much of anything extra.

The way in which D&D crits function (i.e. every attack has a 5% chance of critical) doesn't really let the frequency of critical hits be special as it happens far too often, so the effect should be one that you wouldn't mind having happen frequently - to both the PCs and their enemies.

The prior packet had critical rules that meant any particular attack had a 5% chance of being completely devastating, dealing 50% or more of the intended targets hit points with frightening ease.

The current packet lets a critical automatically hit (not a big deal in Next since nothing is all that hard to hit in the first place) and makes the damage potential a bit higher - and is a complete 180 on the old packet as to whether it favors higher or lower leveled characters, as getting to add an extra d12 on top of your 1d12+3 looks a lot more impressive than adding an extra d12 to 5d12+5 (and in the old packet the same situation reverse where turning 1d12+3 into 1d12+15 is less impressive than turning 5d12+5 into 1d12+65)

Personally, I am a huge fan of the (some would say overly) complex critical hit system found in HackMaster - the degree by which the attack succeeded, amount of damage actually rolled on the normal damage roll for the attack, and location which was targeted by the critical all work together to determine the added effect of the crtical... and the range of effects is actually from "nothing special beyond declaring the location hit" to severed limbs/instant death.

It is a lot less "lol, random" than a 5% chance that your whole thought of how the battle was going is now changed.

I'm currently on the same mindset.

Critical hits need to have the option of being something other than just mere max damage. For instance, in a module with a kind of wound system, it make more sense that they don't do that much damage, since they already add a wound. Another example maybe for a damage type system that places a special effect based on the type of damage inflicted when a critical hit occurs. Etc.

It's good that devs are testing other dials in the critical rules department too.
I think the new critical hit change might be better, atleast at lower levels.  I have not played at higher levels yet so I can not comment on that.  Lower levels feels very fragile to me, which I love.  Critical hits though seemed too much at lower levels though.  Toning down the burst damage just seems like the right step to me for lower levels.

I like effects on a crit.  
Clerics heal, fighters prone, barbarians frighten, bards charm, monks get an extra Ki, ect...

Though if you only want damage, then simply max.  The extra die was a bit much.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Nothing fancy, nothing to remember, nothing special, no riders, no additions... just maximize damage.

Done.

I agree 100%.

Done.

I agree 100%.

I like this idea, too. It makes it feel special again, without being overpowered.
It's easy to forget as a player that critcal hits can happen to you as well...and probably will more often than you deliver them.  Think of the tribe of goblins that need a 20 to hit your knight...and now all of those 20's are going t be crits as well.

Anything that keeps the combats moving faster, is the way to go.  My vote is with max damage. 
You fight for your freedom? Well, I fight for the freedom of all.
Max damage +1 or +1d4 would be better for me.
The new crit system makes the 'Called Shot' feat absolutely useless for martial classes. Deadly strike ups the damage significantly and guaranteed max damage on multiple dice makes not attacking for one action worth it. Losing the potential to deal 2-6dX of damage just to deal one extra die worth of damage is absolutely worthless.
I would prefer to see that you roll twice as many dice on critical hits.  If it was a 1 die attack roll 2, if it was a 2 die attack roll 4, etc.  I think this keeps the rule simple and easy to explain and still keeps the random nature of dice.
I would like to see critical hits give one weapon die worth of maximum damage plus one extra roll of weapon die.

This way it would give a bit of consistency and extra damage without being either too strong(previous packet with deadly strikes) or too weak(this packet)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

1. Maximizing a roll isn't as subjectively "fun"as rolling more dice (tactile-speaking).
2. Doubling or tripling total damage result is too bursty, especially for monster damage.
3. Rolling a 20 is relatively common.
4. The critical threat from 3E is too complicated, and adds an extra step.

I like the current system (+1 weapon die) as a base. Simple to implement, easier to understand, more dice to roll. Expanding the threat range (18-20) or increasing the dice (+1, +2, +3 weapon dice, etc.) seems like the way to expand it as you get higher level or acquire more feats. Perhaps certain classes could have their class mechanics build off crits, as mellored said.
I would like to see critical hits give one weapon die worth of maximum damage plus one extra roll of weapon die.

This way it would give a bit of consistency and extra damage without being either too strong(previous packet with deadly strikes) or too weak(this packet)

Using d8's as the middle die...

Level 1.  (1d8+2 = 6.5)
Old packet = 123%
This packet = 69%
just max = 53%

Level 20.  (5d8+5 = 27.5)
Old packet = 80%.
This packet = 16%.
Just max =  63%.

Difference between level 1 and level 20.
Old packet  = 43% less crit damage.
This packet = 53% less crit damage.
Just max = 10% more crit damage.

Just Max scales much more smoothly at about 50% bonus damage.  It's also simpiler.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I'm not a fan of dealing extra damage on a 20. I'm not even a fan of letting 20 be an automatic hit. Rolling a 20 is already the best you can possibly roll, so I see no reason to make it anything more special than just one above 19.

Besides, a PC is going to be subject to many more critical hits in its lifetime than any other type of character. Same with fumbles. All of these "make extreme situations even more extreme" rules only serve to give the players less control over their characters.

The metagame is not the game.

It's easy to forget as a player that critcal hits can happen to you as well...and probably will more often than you deliver them.  Think of the tribe of goblins that need a 20 to hit your knight...and now all of those 20's are going t be crits as well.

Anything that keeps the combats moving faster, is the way to go.  My vote is with max damage. 

+1 here. Anything more, especially at lower levels is a bit too much in my opinion. With the playing my group has done, the PC's still get giddy when rolling a 20, and groan when hit by one. Only using max damage doesn't seem to detract from the play at all.
Oh, and I also agree that having a crit should also mean that a natural 1 should trigger a "fumble", which could be something such as the person rolling the fumble has a disadvantage on its next attack, or the creature it is fighting has an advantage on its attack.

In fact, now that I think of it, perhaps a crit, besides doing max damage, can also grant the next attack - whether it be an action or reaction (such as if the creature "critted" runs away) - an advantage. This may be a way to give a crit more *umph* without making it overpowering.
I like effects on a crit.  
Clerics heal, fighters prone, barbarians frighten, bards charm, monks get an extra Ki, ect...

I like this.

Heck, key the effect to the chosen build option.  

Actually... I think crit by damage type would be better.

Bludoning stuns
piercing imobilizes
Ice freezes
fire burns till you take an action to put it out
acid is -2 AC

guides
Power
my builds

Actually... I think crit by damage type would be better. Bludoning stuns piercing imobilizes Ice freezes fire burns till you take an action to put it out acid is -2 AC

This is nice...For PCs
It would be a bit rough if monsters followed the same rules as the DM rolls so many d20s that monster crits usually happens more per turn.
In the history of DnD, maximize damage on critical hits is probably one of the best ideas. No one likes rolling ones or twos on critical hits, unless you are on the receiving end.

If maximize multiple dice is too much, then maximize at least one die and roll the rest. Maybe add an extra die as well.
This is nice...For PCs
It would be a bit rough if monsters followed the same rules as the DM rolls so many d20s that monster crits usually happens more per turn.

Monsters do extra (max?) damage by default unless otherwise described in the monster write-up.  It allows for unique design when called for while providing an effective baseline effect.
Personally i would make PC's always roll, and only have PC's crit.

guides
Power
my builds

Critical hit in our campaigns (except for 3e) was you roll damage with modifiers and everything doubles.

Ex: 1d8+4 x2

Makes a critical a CRITICAL and makes PC's scared to death when the DM rolls a 20.

PP 
New to the thread, also new to the playtest. Yeah, the latest iteration of the crit rules leaves me very underwhelmed. I appreceate the effort to keep as much as possible simple and easily resolvable in Next, but crits strike me as one area where a bit of added complexity can add a whole lot of fun to the game. I can't believe I'm saying this as I have griped myself blue in the face about how many holes 3.5 has, but I like the 3.5 version of critting - roll a crit threat, roll to confirm, deal a multiple of damage.  
I have to say that the change to the 'critical hit' rule is not making me happy.

-It's gone from max damage plus another die of damage to just an addional die of damage...
example: if a normal hit does 1d6+2 damage the old crit would have done 6+2+1d6 damage. Now it does 2d6+2 damage. So the possible results have gone from a minimum of 9 points of damage on a crit to a minimum of 4 points.

In another system (that shall remain nameless), we use a card deck to determine exactly what happens in a critical hit. We tend to like our critical hits to be really critical... 

What's the consensus?    

Personally I liked the previous packets criticals the best thus far.  I think it was a nice compromise between the people who favor just max damage and those who like to roll dice.  It gave a sexy amount of minimum damage that gives the feel of making a solid / powerful / damaging / attack on a foe.  This new way seems to make it "almost a necessity," to get the weapon master feat... or whatever it's called.  that lets you roll an extra die of damage and take the best.  or something to that effect.  which actually everyone in my group took that feat to begin with anyways... but that is neither here nor there... hopefully in the final iteration of dnd next they settle on the max die + 1W on crits.  at least that's what I'm hoping for and doesn't sound like i'm alone in that regards.
At Encounters this past Wednesday, there was a player at my table who rolled a crit and announced her maximized damage while clapping excitedly (1d8+5=13). Being completely new to D&D Next, she needed to be filled in, so the current rules were explained to her. Hearing that she got two weapon dice, she smiled and rolled 2d8, got a 1 and a 2, added her modifier and ended up critting for 8 damage.

Her dismay was quite evident.

It ended up being one of those nights where crits were hitting the table like crazy, so we had a lot of time to play with the new implementation. We all spoke afterwards about the session and everyone seemed to come around and acknowledge that — while underwhelming at first — the new crit rules make sense.

Initial dismay has given way to sensible enjoyment.

It's just going to take some time getting used to the fact that you can roll double 1's after rolling a Nat 20.  

Danny

I loved the 'max damage' approach, it was simple and elegant. I use a little 'critical threat system' I devised to distribute various non-hp damage to various areas of the body such as half movement for legs etc, but I'm not sure that's appropriate for the core system as its more of an advanced rule.
Epic fantasy action adventure! - free ebook
After reading all these replies a couple of things jumped out that I had not considered.

1. A mess of goblins attacking a paladin. They all need 20+ to hit. Now every hit is critical. In the 'roll to confirm' system, the 20's would vs. the Paladin would always be simple hits... as the gobbos could never confirm a crit (unless we say that 20 always confirms too).

Upside - less 'burst' style damage to the paladin.
Downside - You'd think that the 20 rolled by the Goblin might be an arrow going through a chink in some vital spot in the armour so that anything that got through would almost certainly be a problem. (arrow in the vision slit of the helm?)

2. Do we even need crits/Should 20's always hit. 

Wow, most of the players I know (myself included) practically mess themselves whenever they roll a 20. I think they'd (I'd) open a vein if we took auto-hit and/or crits away.

3. Should monsters/npc's crit at all? Should crits only be for PC's?

Interesting... I kind of like the idea that Crits could be part of the monster/NPC special abilities description. Monster/NPC rolls a 20 and something special happens. Or maybe nothing at all other than an auto-hit for certain opponents.

4. DR 1 fumbles or auto-miss. As a DM I always use a d20 roll after a PC fumbles. I just don't have the heart to really slam some player without the dice to give me cover. If they fumble and then roll 5 or less - something really bad happens... their weapon breaks or slips out of their hand, they hit another player by accident, they actually hurt themselves. +5 or above - just a miss. I might use the new disadvantage system now - disadvantage on their next roll.

I'd almost consider 'roll for damage as normal and then double the result' as a possiblitly. It takes alot of the questions about special ablities and feats that effect damage out of the mix.

Ex. A lvl1 fighter (strength 14) with a  Battle Axe and Weapon Mastery(WM) as a martial feat elects to use Death Dealer/Deep Wound on her damage roll.  

She rolls - 2d8(taking the better result for WM),+2(str),+1d6(DD/DW) - now just double that. It takes away the questions about 'why take WM if you max on a crit anyway. the player will do a minimum of (1+2+1)x2=8 damage - not outragous but still a decent hit (remember you already determined that the wound was critical). The best case would be (8+2+6)x2=32 - nasty. but on average something like (4+2+3)x2=18 - enough to drop a goblin boss with one shot.

I might give this a shot... the numbers look high to me even at lvl1, and it might get really out of hand at higher levels, but I like nasty crits and so do most of the folks l know... Especially if we also jury rigg the criticals coming from monsters/npc's.    

Actually, how do monster crits work now? For instance, if a fire giant crits with his great sword (3d12+7), would he roll an extra d12, or an extra 3d12? If it's 3d12, then it seems like monster crits would generally be more potent than PC crits.
Actually, how do monster crits work now? For instance, if a fire giant crits with his great sword (3d12+7), would he roll an extra d12, or an extra 3d12? If it's 3d12, then it seems like monster crits would generally be more potent than PC crits.

An extra d12 seems to be the intent.

Danny

An extra d12 seems to be the intent.

Perhaps, but then a druid in bear form gets a 2d6 attack. Would they just get +1d6 on a crit? Doesn't seem very fair.

In general, it seems like they would need to specify either monsters reroll all their dice, one die, or each monster specifies how many.

I have to say, the simple "max damage" is a lot... simpler.