Unsteadying Rebuke + Defender Aura interactions

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
If an ardent uses Unsteadying Rebuke to slide its target into a knight's defender aura, does the target get punished for attacking the ardent, and does its attack suffer the aura's -2 attack penalty?  Relatedly, is it possible for the target to change its target after it has been slid, without wasting its attack action?

Thanks.
I would say Yes to the first and No to the second.
I would say Yes to the first and No to the second.

Why?

The trigger for the immediate reaction is being targeted, so I was thinking that the answers depend on whether targeting is part of the attack and on which part of the attack sequence triggers punishment.

If targeting is part of the attack, and Battle Guardian triggers at the beginning of this sequence, then by the time the creature is slid into the aura it's too late to trigger Battle Guardian, and it's too late to apply the Defender Aura's attack penalty.  In this case, it is also too late for the creature to change targets after it has been slid.

On the other hand, if targeting occurs before the attack, then the creature can change targets after being slid into the aura.  If it chooses not to, then it is subject to the Defender Aura penalty and also liable to Battle Guardian punishment.
Even if the power is interrupted by another power, the power already has been chosen and the targets selected.  Unless the either power states that the target of first power can change, it does not change. 

Look at Lightning Rush.  It specifically states that it changes the target.

Here is what happens in your example:
1) Mob chooses a power to use
2) Mob chooses target(s) for the power
3) Unsteadying Rebuke triggers, hits -> slides target to be in the aura
4) Unless target is dead, Mob's power finishes, taking in all appropriate bonuses and penalties (Defender's Aura)
5) Battle Guardian triggers as an interrupt, taking affect before the Mob's power finishes

At no instance does it say the target of the Mob's power changes.  You only change the position of the Mob and the possible penalties the attack roll. 
Even if the power is interrupted by another power, the power already has been chosen and the targets selected.  Unless the either power states that the target of first power can change, it does not change. 

Look at Lightning Rush.  It specifically states that it changes the target.

Here is what happens in your example:
1) Mob chooses a power to use
2) Mob chooses target(s) for the power
3) Unsteadying Rebuke triggers, hits -> slides target to be in the aura
4) Unless target is dead, Mob's power finishes, taking in all appropriate bonuses and penalties (Defender's Aura)
5) Battle Guardian triggers as an interrupt, taking affect before the Mob's power finishes

At no instance does it say the target of the Mob's power changes.  You only change the position of the Mob and the possible penalties the attack roll. 

On your reading, I agree with 1 through 3, but I'm not sure that 4 and 5 apply.  Wouldn't it be too late for the attack penalty from Defender Aura and for Battle Guardian punishment, as the initial part of the attack that would trigger those things (namely, choosing a target) has already finished by the time the creature is slid over?
An IR to being targetted, is an IR to the entire attack, so no to both.  If you had an II to being targetted that did the same thing, then maybe, because the trigger for the punishment is making an attack roll, which happens after targetting.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
An IR to being targetted, is an IR to the entire attack...

Can you cite the rules source(s) behind this?  Thanks. 
An IR to being targetted, is an IR to the entire attack, so no to both.  If you had an II to being targetted that did the same thing, then maybe, because the trigger for the punishment is making an attack roll, which happens after targetting.

RC pg 196: "An immediate reaction lets a creature act in response to a trigger. The triggering action or event occurs and is completely resolved before the reaction takes place. An immediate reaction waits for its trigger to finish, not necessarily for the action that contains the trigger to finish."

The trigger to Unsteadying Rebuke is: "An enemy targets you with a melee attack." That is the event that happens. The event, being targeted, finishes. Then you can use unsteadying rebuke.  Otherwise it would say "An enemy makes a melee attack against you" or something similar.

Being targeted is a valid trigger for something to happen.  It is how divine challenge works.

Edit:
Defender Aura mentions making an attack that does not include the person who created the aura or has a defender's aura up.

The only way the the aura would NOT affect the target making the attack is if the aura was not up.  Auras are always on unless turned off.  There is no, "you just entered my aura so you are not affected by it for this movement" set up.  You are either in it or not and if you are in it, you are affected by it.  Whether the Knight(in this instance) gets the punishment or not, the enemy still would get the -2 penalty to the attack roll from the aura because he would be moved into the aura before the attack roll is made due to unsteadying rebuke. The attack roll looks for all bonuses and penalties at this point and sees the -2 penalty for the defender aura.

It comes down to whether the defender aura "attack" is attack power or attack roll and its effects.  I think it is the latter due to the fact that most other mark punishment is the attack roll and its effects.  For example, a creature using a double claw attack better make both attacks on the fighter/knight/battlemind/warden/etc or it will take mark punishment for NOT attacking the defender. 

It comes down to whether the defender aura "attack" is attack power or attack roll and its effects.  I think it is the latter due to the fact that most other mark punishment is the attack roll and its effects.

Okay, thanks.  I think this is the crux of the issue, and as far as I can tell there's no clear RAW on it.  I've asked CustServ, and they agree with you (defender aura punishment and attack penalty would apply; creature cannot change targets).  That's good enough for me.
The problem with immediate reations is, that the following part of the rule is written very poorly: "...An immediate reaction waits for its trigger to finish, not necessarily for the action that contains the trigger to finish." Out of my head, the book wants to say: IRs always wait for the full action to finish, unless one of the following scenarios occurs:

1. IRs can happen after each square of movement.
2. IRs can happen during a sequence of attacks, if each part is independent, like the ranger's twin strike or many monster attacks like "make the claw attack 3 times against 3 different targets". This does not mean powers, that have multiple targets (mostly bursts/blasts).

So you canot use Unsteadying Rebuke the way you describe it. You must wait, until the enemy has completed the full attack, so the effects of the defender aura do not matter anymore, because the mosnters attack has already fully resolved.

I'm at work right now, so i have no access to books to give you exact quotes.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

The problem with immediate reations is, that the following part of the rule is written very poorly: "...An immediate reaction waits for its trigger to finish, not necessarily for the action that contains the trigger to finish." Out of my head, the book wants to say: IRs always wait for the full action to finish, unless one of the following scenarios occurs: 1. IRs can happen after each square of movement. 2. IRs can happen during a sequence of attacks, if each part is independent, like the ranger's twin strike or many monster attacks like "make the claw attack 3 times against 3 different targets". This does not mean powers, that have multiple targets (mostly bursts/blasts). So you canot use Unsteadying Rebuke the way you describe it. You must wait, until the enemy has completed the full attack, so the effects of the defender aura do not matter anymore, because the mosnters attack has already fully resolved. I'm at work right now, so i have no access to books to give you exact quotes.

What the book says and what you think it wants to say are completely different though.  A sequence of things happens when you attack, including targeting.  It's perfectly reasonable to react to targeting and interrupt everything that comes after.
Well i'm not going the copy the text from the RC, but you can read it on page 196, it's exactly as i wrote in my last post, just a bit more text and more obscured. The very first sentence says, that an IR waits for the complete action or event to finish (so Unsteadying Rebuke waits for the monsters first attack to finish). In the second and third paragragh they describe the exception, i've summarized before.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

Koshinuke basically explained why this is wrong, and he even pasted the entirety of the relevant text.