A very retro homebrew race (You'll LOVE it or HATE it)

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Some of you will immediately print it out and use it in your next game with guilty giddiness, others will twist their faces in positions they did not know were possible and say to themselves, "What the deuce?!"

Disclaimer: I do not claim the artwork as my own.  The freakin awesome banner at the beginning was ripped straight from somewhere else.  Great props to whoever did it!

www.4shared.com/office/8PuhkToC/Homebrew...

An idea is only as good as the dice that back it up.

Thanks for making my 5e (Next) character sheet the most downloaded character sheet (any game or edition) on EnWorld!  If you haven't seen it, download, comment, and rate it.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=935

this was passed around before and is silly and i wish people would make a serious attempt at making real content instead of this.
this was passed around before and is silly and i wish people would make a serious attempt at making real content instead of this.

- Yes, I did circulate a 3.5 version not too long ago.
- No, I am not the first to attempt to convert this race to D&D.
- So, I'm not sure to which circulation you are refering.

That being said:

How is this race any sillier than the tinker gnome or the kender?
Why do you believe someone cannot take this race seriously and make it enjoyable for everyone involved?
Who do you think you are to police the threads for what is (or is not) acceptable to other readers?

Certainly this is an open discussion in which readers are entitled to their opinions and have the ability to express them, but perhaps a terribly non-constructive attack like this opens you to far worse criticism than the actual topic at hand.

... but that's my opinion.

Thanks for making my 5e (Next) character sheet the most downloaded character sheet (any game or edition) on EnWorld!  If you haven't seen it, download, comment, and rate it.

I suspect the OP posted this *silly* race just to get a rise outta us.  This then, gives the OP the chance to swoop back in and play it straight.  Am I close?

I mean seriously, come on, it's gummi bear ;).
/\ Art
I suspect the OP posted this *silly* race just to get a rise outta us.  This then, gives the OP the chance to swoop back in and play it straight.  Am I close?

I mean seriously, come on, it's gummi bear ;).

No, you're not even close.  HOWEVER, I do see you're in the spirit of things.   Now bear in mind ... [pause for effect] ... many today are not familiar with the old cartoon and actually believe this is refering to the candy.  If you actually watched the 80's cartoon series, you could see how this could be very playable as a serious race without being tongue-in-cheek much in the same way (reverse, in fact), that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were softened and made kid-friendly.

Teletubbie wizards are next....muahahahaha!!!

Just kidding...I couldn't resist Laughing 
I'm not clear what this has to do with D&D Next, and consequently why it's here.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Never would've guessed there was ever a Gummi Bears cartoon.

TMNT were softened, Gummi Bears were um . . . soft to start with . . . 

Nope, still can't take it seriously ;).  The sketch art banner is cool though.  
/\ Art
I'm not clear what this has to do with D&D Next, and consequently why it's here.

I understand this is strictly a forum for platesting D&DN, however, I've found the normal races to be simple.  Not much to playtesting a race (a few modifiers here and there and some color to role play).  So why not update my 3.5 one to DDN and let people have fun with it?

Never would've guessed there was ever a Gummi Bears cartoon.

TMNT were softened, Gummi Bears were um . . . soft to start with . . . 

Nope, still can't take it seriously ;).  The sketch art banner is cool though.  

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...

I would rather others:

Kercpa

It was canon in 4th ed... (almost, it was a April´s fool).

Or the phanaton

Or the mythuím folk from Savage Coast.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Well, if the actual game designers are allowed to devote a moments time to - & sell us -  stuff like the 4e plant person race & the 4e vampire race/class.....  Why shouldn't we players be allowed to?  Or is it only serious if you're paying $30+ for it?

Well, if the actual game designers are allowed to devote a moments time to - & sell us -  stuff like the 4e plant person race & the 4e vampire race/class.....  Why shouldn't we players be allowed to?  Or is it only serious if you're paying $30+ for it?

hmmmmm that may explain why i never bought 3rd or 4th in any way.......lol
Geez, people take this game way too f***ing seriously. I remember the cartoon and could sing the opening theme song from memory, lol. It was a pretty cute show back in the day.

As for making and playing Gummi-bears, perhaps its a little silly but no more than any number of silly races like gully dwarves or tinker gnomes.
Geez, people take this game way too f***ing seriously. I remember the cartoon and could sing the opening theme song from memory, lol. It was a pretty cute show back in the day. As for making and playing Gummi-bears, perhaps its a little silly but no more than any number of silly races like gully dwarves or tinker gnomes.

those races are specific to one game world and never set foot on another, if you dont like them dont play dragonlance. if you knew about the history its easily understandable a god created artifact can change part of a race. the issue is that this is a 5th edition playtest forum. not a posting stupid gummybear stuff to try to be cute.
Again, taking this WAAAY to seriously. You could, you know, NOT look at it or not post negative comments without some constructive feedback. Sometimes if you can't say something nice it's better not to say something at all.

We get it, you're very serious about D&D and "silly" homebrew stuff that will never see the light of published day is wrongbadfun. Now run along now, your opinion is noted.
For  the record, I'm not opposed to a gummi bear race (i.e. I don't HATE 'em ;)).  They'd be great for light-hearted games (maybe even a whole campaign).  

I just resent the implication that we gotta take 'em seriously, and if we don't, we're making some sorta faux pas.  Again I say, come on, it's gummi bears ;).
/\ Art
My earlier wise-crack aside, if I'm not mistaken D&D is a fantasy rpg...key word being fantasy. If your fantasy happens to include gummi bears for PCs, then to each his own. And, if said gummi bears are made to fit the D&DN format, then it would certainly belong in a forum chat where D&DN is discussed.

Of course, a gummi bear may not fit into the world if you are a DM running a campaign, and most certainly you would be able to prevent your players from using them, but if a rift were to open to the Land of Sweets and Treats....well, I say let the adventure begin!
If anybody actually remembers the Gummi Bear cartoon, they'd know that Gummi Bears fit pretty well into D&D. It was a fantasy swords and sorcery cartoon.

If somebody presented a (decently built) Ninja Turtles campaign setting, people would love it. The Gummi Bear setting was actually pretty cool. It's just not as well known. And it has a silly name. The show actually had nothing to do with the candy. Like, at all.
If anybody actually remembers the Gummi Bear cartoon, they'd know that Gummi Bears fit pretty well into D&D. It was a fantasy swords and sorcery cartoon.

If somebody presented a (decently built) Ninja Turtles campaign setting, people would love it. The Gummi Bear setting was actually pretty cool. It's just not as well known. And it has a silly name. The show actually had nothing to do with the candy. Like, at all.

Yeah, that show (Gummi Bears) was suprisingly awesome.

Must.  Find.  Box.  Set...

Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
For most campaigns, a Gummi Bear race will lack gravitas, in line with those creatures' disdain for gravity.

But in a lighthearted setting, it just could work. And I wouldn't count out the possibility of some form of playable ursine race for us serious folks.
I knew it would be a loveit/hateit thing, but I had no idea it would get so heated.  Thanks, everyone, for your responses, and many of you for jumping to my defense.  Currently playing this race in 3.5 and it's turning out great!  Thanks again.

Even serious settings need some humor.  One of the best received D20 modern villains I ever used was an awkward teenage boy who could control giant spiders.  When the PCs cornered him, he yelled, "Shpidersh, get them!"  And all trhoughout the combat he would move around and hide, yelling commands to his "shpidersh."  To this day, those players can't face giant spiders without smiling.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

For most campaigns, a Gummi Bear race will lack gravitas, in line with those creatures' disdain for gravity.

But in a lighthearted setting, it just could work. And I wouldn't count out the possibility of some form of playable ursine race for us serious folks.

Honestly, I can actually see a few serious uses for them.

Just thinking of what Robot Chicken's done to the rest of my childhood, I have glimpses of badass Gummi Bears kicking Orcus's tail to next Tuesday.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
Even serious settings need some humor.  One of the best received D20 modern villains I ever used was an awkward teenage boy who could control giant spiders.  When the PCs cornered him, he yelled, "Shpidersh, get them!"  And all trhoughout the combat he would move around and hide, yelling commands to his "shpidersh."  To this day, those players can't face giant spiders without smiling.

Now THAT'S creative! I agree with you on the humor thing...if I want serious all the time, I'll just get a cot and a blanket and stay at work.
I have to say, yes silly, but as someone who enjoyed the cartoon series when i was younger, nothing wrong with the race as a concept, especially for one offs.

I have written / run games based on scooby doo, teenage mutant ninja turtles, centurions, visionaries and other 80's cartoons. (sometimes based dead on them, sometimes very darkened for fun)

They can be great light hearted breaks in the middle of serious campaigns. Those who have to be serious all the times are generally quite boring... Lighten up! So i wouldn't want them in the middle of a serious campaign about the battle between demons and angels or whatever, but you got to admit as a break in the action, they could be quite funny... and as a side note the ogres in the series where fantastic...

To create this as a race is just as valid as anything else on the board. You don't like, fair enough, leave your opinion if you need to, don't use and move on... lots of other cool things here.   
Sign In to post comments