Question on Old Metal Miniatures

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was cleaning out the garage and rediscovered about 100 or so painted Ral Partha and Reaper metal figures from the 80's and 90's. I've been looking around the forum for any threads where I can ask questions about them but can't seem to find the right forum, never mind thread. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
If you are looking to identify them, I would recommend this link:

www.recipesrealm.com/wiki/index.php?titl...

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

If you are looking to identify them, I would recommend this link:

www.recipesrealm.com/wiki/index.php?titl...

That helps as far as the identification. Does anybody ever use the old mini's or is it strictly the new prepainted stuff now?
I don't own many miniatures, but most of what I have are metal and not prepainted. I think they're way cooler than the new ones, and less likely to be knocked over by runaway dice than a plastic one.
Is there a thread/forum where they talk about customizing/painting these old metal mini's? Any particular D&D system that uses the traditional metal vs plstic mini's more often?
I use my metal minis for all my D&D games, spanning the editions. Most of mine are either Reaper, Ral Partha, or Grenadier, with some old RAFM and recent Dark Sword purchases. I find the metal ones to be of higher quality and stronger, with less of a chance to tip from the wind of a fan, and my own paint jobs are much better than the slop-jobs on prepaints. I personally would like to see an agreement reached between WotC and Iron Wind Metals (the successor to Ral Partha) to get those late 80s/90s AD&D branded miniatures back on the market.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

I'm a metal snob myself.  I mean, I don't mind plastics and some of the prepainteds look OK, but ther'es just something satisfying about picking out a particular mini for your character and personally painting it to bring said character to life.

(incidentally, if you happen to find the Planescape "Lady of Pain" mini... I'd like to talk ;))

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Well, I'll assume there's no particular customs thread since noone's mentioned it, but I guess if I decide to get back into the game I should be able to use some of my mini's from what I'm gathering.
It sounds like you're asking if your minis can still be used? There are no restrictions on which minis you can or can't use for D&D, unless you're talking about the tactical miniatures game and not the roleplaying game. Using minis at all is optional, and when you do there are no rules that say you can't use what ever you want as minis. Over the years I've used scraps of paper, punched out pog-like-things, colored glass beads, dice (wouldn't recommend that one, they get confusing fast!), plastic minis, prepanted metal minis, and metal minis I've painted myself. Have no fear, your old metal minis will be permitted at any table and warmly welcomed at most.
I'm a metal snob myself.  I mean, I don't mind plastics and some of the prepainteds look OK, but ther'es just something satisfying about picking out a particular mini for your character and personally painting it to bring said character to life.

(incidentally, if you happen to find the Planescape "Lady of Pain" mini... I'd like to talk ;))

"...don't cut yourself, Malachi..."
Keep in mind- depending upon the decade they are from - they may well be some or mostly lead.  If you are concerned about lead poisoning (or play with young children) you should probably not eat while using them and wash your hands when you are done.

Some form of sealant would probably help with that.

Carl   
if you want good information on what you have there is a facebook called old school minitures they are a great group i am on there all the time. they give advice and information on anything mini.
I'm surprised there's no forum on customizing D&D miniatures. They've been around so long and nobody talks about painting or creating new figures? I would think the prepainted plastic mini's would be especially easy to rework.
I'm surprised there's no forum on customizing D&D miniatures. They've been around so long and nobody talks about painting or creating new figures? I would think the prepainted plastic mini's would be especially easy to rework.

that group i reccomended does it all the time, they commonly buy bulk cheap plastic minis and use green stuff to remodel them.

You'll probably find more help here:

community.wizards.com/go/forum/viewcateg...

Own it! 

Danny

Ironically, D&D hasn't had the emphasis on minis in recent decades that it had back in the 70s & 80s when it was still closely linked with wargaming.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Own it! 

Color me jealous; these are tough to find! That was one of the great things about the Ral Partha line, that they had so many iconic character miniatures. The Lord Gunthar mini is still one of my favorites. I wish, however, that they would have expanded on this further. They had great lines of Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Birthright, and Dark Sun miniatures. But I was always disappointed that they never did iconic character lines for Greyhawk, Mystara, Al Qadim, or Spelljammer. Seriously, who wouldn't have purchased a Greyhawk Heroes box set, with Mordenkainen, Tenser, Bigby, Gord, Mika, Hornsbruck, Tam-Tur, Drawmij, Melf, etc?

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS: