Blaze Commando

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have Blaze Commando on the board along with 3 vanilla 1,1's. My opponents have a total of 6 creatures. Will the commando's ability trigger if I deal 4 damage to all creatures with a kicked breath of Darigazz.
I have Blaze Commando on the board along with 3 vanilla 1,1's. My opponents have a total of 6 creatures. Will the commando's ability trigger if I deal 4 damage to all creatures with a kicked breath of Darigazz.

Yes.  A sorcery you control is dealing damage.  Trigger criteria met.  Why wouldn't it trigger?

Rules Advisor

it will trigger only once, so you only get 1 1/1 token
proud member of the 2011 community team

Yes.  The damage is dealt.  The Commando triggers.  It doesn't matter that the Commando is destroyed.

it will trigger only once, so you only get 1 1/1 token

Yes it triggers once, but you get two tokens.

didn't read the card careful enough, thanks for the correction
Why would it only trigger once???

Because you control one sorcery.  It's one source of damage.  The fact that it deals damage to multiple things is irrelevant.

Rules Advisor

I guess I still don't understand. The card says when an instant or sorcery deals damage. It deals damage multiple times correct. What about a card like Arc Lightning.
Arc Lightning also only triggers once

a kicked Magma Burst will trigger twice
The card only deals damage once because it only says it deals damage once. One usage of the verb "damage" = one damage-dealing event.

If Arc Lightning was worded along the lines of something like Seeds of Strength, then it would trigger Blaze Commando multiple times.

Because you control one sorcery.  It's one source of damage.  The fact that it deals damage to multiple things is irrelevant.

Not always. It only triggers once, because it only deals damage once (no matter how many things get hit by that damage). But there are some cards like Aura Barbs that deal damage multiple times (count the verb "deal").

Level 1 Judge

If Arc Lightning was worded along the lines of something like Seeds of Strength, then it would trigger Blaze Commando multiple times.

took me a while to find one, Magma Burst with Kicker fits the bill
I guess I still don't understand. The card says when an instant or sorcery deals damage. It deals damage multiple times correct. What about a card like Arc Lightning.

Q:  Is an instant or sorcery you control dealing damage?
A:  Yes.  Therefore, the ability triggers once.

Compare this to an ability worded similarly to Rapacious One, where it specifies that you get a token for each point of damage dealt, as opposed to an ability that just checks whether or not you deal damage.

Rules Advisor

Not always. It only triggers once, because it only deals damage once (no matter how many things get hit by that damage). But there are some cards like Aura Barbs that deal damage multiple times (count the verb "deal").

Aura Barbs doesn't deal any damage and will not trigger Blaze Commando
I may be looking at the stack wrong. I play Arc Lightning targeting 3 players with one damaged a piece. How does the stack look. From what you are saying is arc lightning dealing 3 damage is on the stack not 3 instances of damage, right. How does the 3 damage not trigger seperately though.
I may be looking at the stack wrong. I play Arc Lightning targeting 3 players with one damaged a piece. How does the stack look. From what you are saying is arc lightning dealing 3 damage is on the stack not 3 instances of damage, right.

as has been said you need to count the verbs

Arc Lightning has "deals damage" only once, Magma Burst with kicker has "deals damage" twice

What do you mean, not always?  Breath of Darigaaz is always one source of damage.  Plus, Aura Barbs doesn't deal damage, it causes enchantments to deal damage.  Aura Barbs won't trigger Blaze Commando.

Rules Advisor

I may be looking at the stack wrong. I play Arc Lightning targeting 3 players with one damaged a piece. How does the stack look. From what you are saying is arc lightning dealing 3 damage is on the stack not 3 instances of damage, right. How does the 3 damage not trigger seperately though.

It's because you're dealing 3 damage simultaneously.  Even if you have three different targets with Arc Lightning, all the damage is dealt at the same time.  It's still one ability on the stack, and when it resolves all the targets get hit.  It's not three instances of 1 damage on the stack.

Rules Advisor

Thanks I finally get it. I was wondering why Blaze Commando was such a cheap card. This explains it.

It's because you're dealing 3 damage simultaneously.  Even if you have three different targets with Arc Lightning, all the damage is dealt at the same time.  It's still one ability on the stack, and when it resolves all the targets get hit.  It's not three instances of 1 damage on the stack.

You can have simultaneous damage that counts as different damage-dealing instances.  Clan Defiance would count as as many as three triggers for the purposes of Blaze Commando, even though all three damagings are done simultaneously.

You can have simultaneous damage that counts as different damage-dealing instances.  Clan Defiance would count as as many as three triggers for the purposes of Blaze Commando, even though all three damagings are done simultaneously.

You follow the instructions in order, they don't happen all at the same time.

If you choose all three for the Defiance, you first deal damage to the flying creature, then to the non-flying creature, and then to the player.

If you choose all three for the Defiance, you first deal damage to the flying creature, then to the non-flying creature, and then to the player.

A difference that makes no difference for these purposes, because you can't do anything between them.  Note that I was directly responding to someone explaining Arc Lighting's single-triggering with "It's still one ability on the stack, and when it resolves all the targets get hit.  It's not three instances of 1 damage on the stack." - Clan Defiance is also one 'ability' on the stack, and not three separate stack instances.  Yet it causes three Blaze Commando triggers.
A) Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control deals damage, [EFFECT]

vs

B) Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control deals damage to a permanent or player, [EFFECT] 
603.2c An ability triggers only once each time its trigger event occurs. However, it can trigger repeatedly if one event contains multiple occurrences.

A will trigger once per verb deal in the spell, regardless of how many objects or players are damaged.

B will trigger once per object or player damaged per verb deal in the spell.

Blaze Commando has a trigger in the form of A.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

ugh

the word within a spell should be as a function of 1 instance of simultaious effects

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]

A difference that makes no difference for these purposes, because you can't do anything between them.  Note that I was directly responding to someone explaining Arc Lighting's single-triggering with "It's still one ability on the stack, and when it resolves all the targets get hit.  It's not three instances of 1 damage on the stack." - Clan Defiance is also one 'ability' on the stack, and not three separate stack instances.  Yet it causes three Blaze Commando triggers.

But the point is that the damage isn't dealt simultaneously with Clan Defiance.  You're right: there can be no responses between damage dealings from Clan Defiance, but there's a difference between dealing 1 damage to this and this and this; and dealing 1 damage to this, and then 1 damage to this, and then 1 damage to this.  Arc Lightning deals 3 damage at one time, whereas Clan Defiance deals 1 damage three times.

Rules Advisor

this sounds like a ruling on words that will unnecessarily convoluted the game

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

this sounds like a ruling on words that will unnecessarily convoluted the game

Read all the posts.  They're important.  They'll help you understand why words change the way cards work.

Rules Advisor

IU reminds if the time I got fired from a computer programming job because I suggested they use loops over writing the same command over.