PEACH my Enchanter Entrancing Mystic

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I realize it's old hat by now, but I don't have much experience when it comes to Wizard builds. I'm interested particularly in my ability score distribution (should I lower Int and raise Cha?), feat order, and item selection. We're starting play at level 1, but I've built here for the beginning of Paragon. The rest of the party is elf ranger (shoot to thrill), dwarf fighter (mr. smith), halfling rogue (daggermaster route), and half-elf valorous bard (war chanter route). Many thanks!

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Bryseis "Bree" Ambrose, level 11
Tiefling, Wizard (Mage), Enigmatic Mage
School: Enchantment School
Binding Initiate Option: Binding Initiate (Star Pact)
Expert Mage Option: Enchantment School Expert
Master Mage Option: Enchantment School Master
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Renegade Red Wizard

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 14, DEX 11, INT 23, WIS 11, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 13

AC: 25 Fort: 21 Ref: 25 Will: 25
HP: 73 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Dungeoneering +10, History +16, Religion +16, Streetwise +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Athletics +4, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +11, Endurance +7, Heal +5, Insight +5, Intimidate +11, Nature +5, Perception +5, Stealth +7, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Wizard Utility: Chameleon's Mask
Wizard Utility: Spook
Wizard Utility: Suggestion
Warlock Utility: Hidden Lore
Warlock Attack: Mind Shadows
Wizard Attack 1: Phantom Chasm
Wizard Attack 1: Sleep
Wizard Attack 1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Wizard Attack 1: Illusory Obstacles
Wizard Attack 1: Hypnotism
Wizard Attack 1: Winged Horde
Wizard Attack 1: Magic Missile
Wizard Utility 2: Shield
Wizard Utility 2: Glib Tongue
Wizard Attack 3: Maze of Mirrors
Wizard Attack 3: Blissful Ignorance
Wizard Attack 5: Tasha's Forcible Conscription
Wizard Attack 5: Visions of Avarice
Wizard Utility 6: Emerald Eye
Wizard Utility 6: Glowering Wrath
Wizard Attack 7: Charm of the Defender
Wizard Attack 7: Phantom Foes
Wizard Attack 9: Summon Succubus
Wizard Attack 9: Symphony of the Dark Court
Wizard Utility 10: Blur
Wizard Utility 10: Mass Resistance
Enigmatic Mage Utility 11: Enigmatic Spellcasting
Enigmatic Mage Attack 11: Otto's Twisting Tune

FEATS
Level 1: Binding Initiate
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Unarmored Agility
Level 6: Imperious Majesty
Level 8: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Spell Focus

ITEMS
Quarterstaff
Adventurer's Kit
Spellbook
Writing case
Staff of Sleep and Charm +3 x1
Orb of Nimble Thoughts +2 x1
Battle Harness Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
Cloak of Distortion +2 x1
====== End ======

I would leave the ability scores as is if you are starting at level 1. A 17 in Intelligence would do if you start at level 4.

I loathe Magic Missile with a vengeance, since it seems like a waste of a perfectly good action to me, and would advice you to grab Beguiling Strands. You will be the only one of this team good or at least potentially good at dealing with enemies in bursts & blasts, so go there. Single target damage is already well covered.

I would prioritise Superior Implement Training (grab that implement at level 1, you never know when you're near a town / merchant again), then Imperious Majesty, Staff Expertise.

Personally, I do not see the point of Unarmored Agility (your AC is not great, don't waste resources, just stay away from enemies), and I would much prefer to grab Superior Will over Improved Defenses.

Binding Initiate you can take at level 10, why burden yourself with the cost of that feat so early on ?

To counterweight the defense argument, I would not take Glib Tongue early on, but instead grab Shield. At level 6 then get Glib Tongue, because I do not see any benefit to Emerald Eye. For the same reason, what do you expect to get out of Glowering Wrath, I miht be mistaken but I do not see a lot of forced movement there.

EDIT: just heard Magic Missile is a freebie for mages, great. Still forget you have it, and do grab Beguiling Strands. 
I'm (mildly) worried about the ability scores because 2 of entrancing mystic's attacks key off Cha.

I am awfully attracted to Beguiling Strands. I assume your comments means to suggest losing Hypnotism for it, thus starting with BS and WH?

I think you're totally right about Sup. Impl. Training at 1. My thought was to pick up the 2 (conditional) encounter powers out of the gate and pick up some invisibility to go with the Renegade Red Wizard theme feature, but that may not come into play very often.

I was thinking about picking up both Imp. Defenses and Sup. Will. 

In the order of powers, the first power listed is the one I plan to use; the other is my spellbook. So Shield is definitely in the works at level 2. Since so many of my powers key off Will attacks, Emerald Eye seems eminently useful to me. Glowering Wrath is to increase the forced movement on Hypnotism (still under debate), Charm of Misplaced Wrath, etc.

EDIT: Of course, I meant to write swap BS for Winged Horde, not Hypnotism. Right? 
Ist there any familiar, which could be useful to an enchanter?
Btw. is the Curse Eye Tattoo worth using as an enchanter?
Curse Eye Tattoo might go nicely with Spell Focus. Of course, save penalty optimization isn't the best, but it serves an Enchanter better than most. I'm not too sure about the familiar. At this level, I don't anticipate a great deal of instrument swapping, etc.
Rakshasa Claw is useful for nearly anyone who wants to do some cheesy item swaps. Such as swapping in Aversion Staff at the end of your turn till the start of your next turn or when you know you're about to provoke an OA during your turn or something.
There are some other familiars that give your enemies penalties to saving throws vs your slowing/immobilizing effects, which is rather negligible in your case.

Yep, tattoo is probably the best choice as an enchanter. Not too big of a boost, but it's OK.

Curse Eye Tattoo might go nicely with Spell Focus. Of course, save penalty optimization isn't the best, but it serves an Enchanter better than most. I'm not too sure about the familiar. At this level, I don't anticipate a great deal of instrument swapping, etc.

What would be better than save penalty optimization?

Being an Arcanist without optimzing around SE penalties in a party that ends encounters in max 2 turns?

Being an Arcanist without optimzing around SE penalties in a party that ends encounters in max 2 turns?

I hope you meant 2 rounds, because 2 turns would make me cry, either as player or DM.
Yep, rounds ofc. ;)