Magic 2014 "Deadwalkers" Decklist and Strategies

1168 posts / 0 new
Last post
There's also plenty of ways to get zombies back from the GY which is why I don't bother to run the Apocalypse.  There's the 2 reanimates, grave return, and the undead lords which all return zombies from the GY.  All of those options outside the lord also give you the option of choosing something even better from their GY too.  If we didn't have any of that going for us I might consider running the apoc, but not what we have at our desposal now.  All of it cheaper as well.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Firmly in the no ZA camp. If you have it in hand it ''might'' come in handy that game.
If you have a Corrupt in hand it Always comes in handy.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Wait. You guys are comparing this with corrupt, as if one must choose between them. Why not run both as I do?
Deck starts to feel pretty top-heavy. Most try to keep this deck fairly quick and aggressive and like to use Corrupt as a finisher. My 5+ end is two Corrupts and Mike. Though ultimately, compared to Corrupt, Mike, and the GTs, Apocalypse is the least useful of the 6-drops.
Why are people arguing Apocalypse when it was already argued pages back. Please stop arguing the same cards over and over when its already been settled otherwise another 20 pages in people will still be discussing the same cards that have already been discussed x20 times before and still arguing over it. I know the whole point of a forum is discussion but seriously its like a broken record.
That is the point though, no one remembers what was discussed 30 pages ago exactly, and new people come in starting the whole thing up again because they did not take place in that older discussion and everyone from that older discussion is still opinionated as heck.  For example, there are about 30 pages alone on moroii in the other thread.

2 + 2 = fish

Jeez, sorry dude.
I'm in the camp that Nuke2099 should be an auto exclude in this deck.
What do you guys think?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

To summarize:
I think it's a winner vs the other top 2 decks. That alone is worth a lot as you will be facing those the most.
- It's also great cards vs sweepers and/or decks heavy on destruction. (mul daya and firewave come to mind)
- at least 10 cards benefit from it's effect on the go should things go wrong, making your position stronger.
- It can bring back multiple creatures in one go, while weakening the opponents battelfield. (most decks have humans in them).
- you can use it to go all in with an attack and get all your lost creatures back.

It's versatile on quite a few occasions.

It's my 4th 6 mana card as I dont run GT and do think that is indeed the limit this deck can handle.
Zombie Apocalypse has a few problems.  One, you get a bunch of blockable weenies some of the time and really don't kill that much vs 9 of the 10 decks.  Also, you lose some things sometimes due to fleshbag.  You also don't kill AG's big monsters like baneslayer angel.  Since they come in tapped, they cannot be used for emergency blocking.  THis stacks up.

Compare to grave titan, that is 6/6 with death touch, creates 3 blockers when summoned, and continues to create his own little army....... Generally I prefer the titan.

2 + 2 = fish

ZA can kill a baneslayer angel. All it needs is a Fleshbag in the graveyard. GT won't kill a baneslayer unless they block it, which is at least a turn later.
I do understand I'm reaching a bit, but I feel it's quite versatile in a lot of situations.
But it's versatile at the end of your curve, and it is honestly inferior to a lot of the 4 drops.

2 + 2 = fish

So your saying, 3 6drops is ok, 4 is too much?
Having 3 obviously superiour six drops and one that is kind of meh even when looking at your 4 drops for comparison is not that good.

Having 4 obviously superiour ones is okay. 

2 + 2 = fish

Good. So we are back on track that's it ok to have four 6 drops. Cause if we gonna pull the 4 drops into this as well I feel we could argue forever.

I feel the main issue with the card it's a situational one. It has many uses, but it totally depends on the board status and how you react to it. Sure GT is a brain dead play asap card most of the time. Corrupt needs a little more thought but will swing the game in your favor by offing a creature and giving back at least 6 life. AZ usefullness in killing stuff depends on the deck ya facing off, but getting back 2 or more zombies for 6 mana does not feel inferiour.
On phone: just to be sure: yes I know corrupt can also burn life.
Going against AG, which is where you get the most benefit out of this, it still wouldn't get rid of Angelic Overseer which is one of your biggest headaches and their exile-based removal gets around the recursion effect.

You're generally much better off using Mutillate if you need to wipe the board, since it reaches non-humans and using other methods to recur your zombies or simply playing new ones.
Against AG you would love a second mutilate. AZ plays this role in t6.

In addition, if you have at least 1 bag in your gravery, you will get ride of an angel...Without talk about the Overseer that just became "much more" sensible to your removal spells...

Ofc, outside of the DW vs AG matchup I do not see many uses.  
Against AG you would love a second mutilate. AZ plays this role in t6.

In addition, if you have at least 1 bag in your gravery, you will get ride of an angel...Without talk about the Overseer that just became "much more" sensible to your removal spells...

Ofc, outside of the DW vs AG matchup I do not see many uses.  

No. It doesn't.

Edit: Nevermind... against AG yes. But potentially dead against everything else.

Show

I think much more than "potentially". Definitively? :P
It doesn't even against AG part of the time.  Also, frankly, dead against 9 decks as a kill card...... not a good kill card.

2 + 2 = fish

I think much more than "potentially". Definitively? :P

Well potentially only for graveyard recursion, which DW doesn't really need.
Jumped the gun before I comprehended all your post.

Show

It doesn't even against AG part of the time.  Also, frankly, dead against 9 decks as a kill card...... not a good kill card.

Yes, but people also play fixed deck tournaments ;)

What is better than a killing bomb written for the other 2 top decks? :P  
Zombie Apocalypse does not kill any creatures that matter a lot outside of Avacyn's Glory.  Off the top of my head, maybe the shaman/ranger in dragon deck, maybe guildmage, maybe fauna shaman, maybe someone in guardians of light get hit.  Not reliable enough as a singleton.  Run both death cloud and the mutilate instead. Profit.

2 + 2 = fish

To be fair, it is very good against a Lord of the unreal + Phantasmal image lock too, but good luck hitting 6 lands on the face of one of these and playing without running into one of the 8 (???????) counters.

I run it in my 2HG control build but it is the first card for the chop when death cloud 2 becomes available. Avoid it in 1v1.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
My second Mutilate is called Vampiric Tutor; so much more versatile than Zombie Apocalypse, and much cheaper.
Avoid it in 1v1.

Exact reason I won't run it.  I build decks to be good in both 1v1 and 2v2 so I don't put cards that just fail in either in deck. 

2 + 2 = fish

My second Mutilate is called Vampiric Tutor; so much more versatile than Zombie Apocalypse, and much cheaper.

Same here, although I also have a third.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Death Cloud them for 10. Trust me, they won't like it.

2 + 2 = fish

Avoid it in 1v1.

Exact reason I won't run it.  I build decks to be good in both 1v1 and 2v2 so I don't put cards that just fail in either in deck. 

Then you do not play a card on an efficiency argument because you do an unefficient thing as building a decks that fit both 1v1 and 2v2? :P

Sorry, cannot avoid it^^  
I do not buy the argument that a build cannot be very good in both.  Also, if a card situationally sucks just because you have more or less opponents and a partner or not.... then the card just sucks in my book.

2 + 2 = fish

With the final promos, I think I'll be moving more towards the control end of the spectrum with this deck and may finally include one of those. We'll see.
A build can be very good in both Mjack, but it absolutely cannot be optimised for both. Something has to give somewhere.

Mine are optimised for 2HG, and they do we enough in 1v1 but I would not even begin to imagine a player like Hakeem or Mobius would fall to it in 1v1. Cards like death cloud and shrivel would be my downfall.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
A build can be very good in both Mjack, but it absolutely cannot be optimised for both. Something has to give somewhere. Mine are optimised for 2HG, and they do we enough in 1v1 but I would not even begin to imagine a player like Hakeem or Mobius would fall to it in 1v1. Cards like death cloud and shrivel would be my downfall.

Death Cloud is actually quite good in 1v1, at least from my experience. The ability to get the upper hand after a sweeper is very powerful (and easy to pull with this deck). It's also a poor man's Corrupt to the face.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

When it comes down to it, if i have to pick I pick 1v1, but I don't completely ignore 2v2.  Also, unless I missed somethign Death Cloud is actually working better in 1v1 than 2v2.

2 + 2 = fish

Well I wouldn't know that, lol, I have never run this deck in 1v1, but I imagine that it could be very detrimental to your cause if you want to hold a card or creature on the field.

As a finisher, I can see it being played, but I wouldn't include it over another fast hitting zombie in 1v1.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I do not buy the argument that a build cannot be very good in both.  Also, if a card situationally sucks just because you have more or less opponents and a partner or not.... then the card just sucks in my book.

Flamebreak, magma phoenix, and exsanguinate all say hi. And if you say any are bad(aside from phoienix, because I personally hate it) then... well I'm sorry, but you don't know good cards.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"

No need to buy, it is a freebie!  

Let us look at a few cards and see the difference in 1v1 and 2HG.

Pariah: Clearly a winner in 1v1, on the right creature you can have the opponent scrambling for removal. 2HG...not so much. Still good, but useless if you are opposite the wrong player. Also see form of the dragon, Dread and No Mercy.

Furnace of Rath: Can be decent in 1v1 but I wouldn't recommend it. With a partner to push damage through to the face with something big and hasty, or an established board presence it is so much better. In 1v1 you will likely die before you have the lands to both cast it AND make an impact.

That 7cmc creature that casts instants or scorcery cards from an opponents graveyard: Would you run this in 1v1 to be half useful half the time? 2 spells are better than 1, and that's the difference here.

It's simple really...some cards are just better suited for 2HG and some just don't cut it.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I took some advice and decided to run 1 less Grave Titan to fit in Consuming Vapors.  I really wanted to fit it in anyhow, but I think this was a great move as the vapors was instrumental to a solid win earlier today.  I like the 1 GT compromise.  Now I only have 4 at the 6-spot with 2x Corrupt, Mike, and 1x Grave Titan.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula