Magic 2014 "Deadwalkers" Decklist and Strategies

1169 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wow, this decks looks like a powerhouse. I'm sure people will be able to breed a control list from it if they want to. Lots of removal to choose from, 2x Corrupt and strong effects to bring your bombs back.

With promos it may be even more likely to build as control.
Is it just me or does this version of Duels have more land destruction going on?

If so I'm expecting a random Polluted Dead in the promo unlocks for Deadwalkers.

It has Armageddon. That alone is more LD than all the previous games combined.
I always love playing with Death Cloud.

I prefer it with Sakura-Tribe Elders and Oversold Cemetery. Life from the Loam is a plus, too.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I always love playing with Death Cloud.

I prefer it with Sakura-Tribe Elders and Oversold Cemetery. Life from the Loam is a plus, too.

Oversold Cemetery= A+
would it have been too much to ask for a sac outlet to abuse the grave callers and messenger?
In this meta, probably....

However, I'd expect something in the promo unlocks along those lines. 
This deck looks strong. This deck is an absolute counter to the white human deck.
This deck also seems very strong, wouldn't be surprised if tribal decks ruled this year.
It has Armageddon. That alone is more LD than all the previous games combined.

Desolation Angel says hi. Dark Heavens, DoTP 2012
This deck is S tier.
Needs more Last Laugh.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Yees! This deck is sick! I hoped for [C]Gravecrawler[/C] [C]Geralf's Messenger[/C] in this deck and I'm very glad they made it in. 

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Straight zombie beatdown.

2 x Diregraf Ghoul
3 x Gravecrawler
1 x Reanimate
1 x Quest for the Gravelord
1 x Vampiric Tutor
2 x Black Cat 
1 x Bloodghast
2 x Butcher Ghoul
3 x Doom Blade
2 x Sign in Blood
1 x Death Baron
2 x Geralf's Messenger
2 x Lord of the Undead
2 x Undead Warchief
1 x Liliana's Reaver
1 x Consuming Vapors
1 x Mutilate
2 x Tendrils of Corruption
1 x Cruel Revival
1 x Mikeaus, the Unhallowed
1 x Grave Titan
2 x Corrupt
24 x Swamp

This deck is also super solid and has some very annoying creatures, good removal and a great lategame. Don't no about S-tier, but it certainly looks like one of the better decks.

The developers could have gone all out and put in Go for the Throats instead of Doom Blades...but they were "nice" enough not to. Guess they foresaw a lot of mirror matches and wanted most of the removal to be blanks.
@dragon: I wouldnt leave home without Fleshbag Marauder. He's your only sac outlet!
@dragon: I wouldnt leave home without Fleshbag Marauder. He's your only sac outlet!

Which is why I went F sack!  Didn't even want to play the black cats (though it is an awesome card), but the deck is very low on decent 2 drops, so I felt like they had to be there.

Marauder is an alright card, but certainly not a great sack outlet and only 2 cards isn't enough for me to try and force a subtheme. Seems to me the deck will be better if it just focuses on constantly having zombies on the table that can beat face and removal in hand for the biggest threats on the other side of the board.
Treat him as a three mana Cruel Edict at his worst. Plus being a creature you have a few ways to recur it.
Treat him as a three mana Cruel Edict at his worst. Plus being a creature you have a few ways to recur it.

When you have Consuming vapors at 4 and a deck filled with lots of other very good removal, a Cruel Edict for 3 doesn't seem very good. He needs creatures on the other end of the table and specific creatures on your end to be good, + his body is arguably worse than Dirgraf Ghoul.
I could definatelty see myself playing him in a more control oriented build though.
At his worst, he's a Cruel Edict for three.

Being a dude, I feel he's a bit stronger than some of the other removal. Plus the deck looks good, so I see people flocking to it. Doom Blade looks like a ton of fun then...

There a plenty of value critters around, and he's only a 2x. Gravecrawler, Black Cat, Bloodghast, Butcher Ghoul, Geralf's Messenger, Mikeaus. Reanimate, Lord of the Undead, Cruel Revival to reuse him. I can't imagine Fleshbag Marauder is actually bad in this deck.
At his worst, he's a Cruel Edict for three.

Being a dude, I feel he's a bit stronger than some of the other removal. Plus the deck looks good, so I see people flocking to it. Doom Blade looks like a ton of fun then...

There a plenty of value critters around, and he's only a 2x. Gravecrawler, Black Cat, Bloodghast, Butcher Ghoul, Geralf's Messenger, Mikeaus. Reanimate, Lord of the Undead, Cruel Revival to reuse him. I can't imagine Fleshbag Marauder is actually bad in this deck.

Well that whole meta problem with doom blades (and to a lesser extent Cruel revival), could happen, but that kinda remains to be seen. Since there's still only one mono black deck in the format, I certainly wouldn't take them out yet.

True, I don't think he'll be bad in the deck either, I just think there is better options when you're trying to pressure your opponent from turn 1. But everything is still up in the air as this point, for better or worse I could see myself putting him in just to make the deck a bit more interesting. 
... the base deck list only has 59 cards.
i do agree doomblade is fun in that it can't kill zombies but its like damn why am i bothering killing these dudes anyway they keep coming back!! /BRAAAIINSS

at least thats how it felt last year not sure if we got as many gravediggers this time o wait Zombie apocalypse gogo!
My first attemp at making this more towards control. No idea if it makes it better or not.

Not good for now. Maybe with promo unlocks...

Try removing Gravecrawler, Grim Return, Exhume and Zombie Apocalypse.  Add Grave Betrayal, Veilborn Ghoul, Abattoir Ghoul, Death Baron and Shrivel. I think it will be a little better.

Well that whole meta problem with doom blades (and to a lesser extent Cruel revival), could happen, but that kinda remains to be seen. Since there's still only one mono black deck in the format, I certainly wouldn't take them out yet.

True, I don't think he'll be bad in the deck either, I just think there is better options when you're trying to pressure your opponent from turn 1. But everything is still up in the air as this point, for better or worse I could see myself putting him in just to make the deck a bit more interesting. 

Cutting Doom Blade completely probably isn't ideal, and I don't want to seem like I'm suggesting such a thing. Format looks kind of fast, so two mana removal is great. Having it in the mirror will certainly suck, but oh well. I could see dialing back on that card if Zombies was a top played deck though.

Talking about pressuring the opponent by the way, I almost feel Marauder is a useful piece for applying that said pressure. Consider all those cards I mentioned, many don't mind dying, and a Fleshbag Maruader gives you that death trigger on demand. When you're getting value for a death, causing your opponent to lose a guy, and present them an additional 3 power body (that benefits off tribal synergies), that screams pressure.

Also consider how triggering it yourself might be better that letting opponents decide they should deal with your cards. How many exile-esque spells have we seen? Quite a bit and then a number of bounce and other stall mechanisms too. A card like Geralf's Messager can play around some of that, but wouldn't having a chance to sac it, get a 4/3 and at the very least cause 4 life loss a be pretty insane way to pressure your opponent? Now think about doing the same with other value cards in similar situations.

I personally feel the card helps the deck click together a bit. I couldn't see myself not running it.

Cutting Doom Blade completely probably isn't ideal, and I don't want to seem like I'm suggesting such a thing. Format looks kind of fast, so two mana removal is great. Having it in the mirror will certainly suck, but oh well. I could see dialing back on that card if Zombies was a top played deck though.

Talking about pressuring the opponent by the way, I almost feel Marauder is a useful piece for applying that said pressure. Consider all those cards I mentioned, many don't mind dying, and a Fleshbag Maruader gives you that death trigger on demand. When you're getting value for a death, causing your opponent to lose a guy, and present them an additional 3 power body (that benefits off tribal synergies), that screams pressure.

Also consider how triggering it yourself might be better that letting opponents decide they should deal with your cards. How many exile-esque spells have we seen? Quite a bit and then a number of bounce and other stall mechanisms too. A card like Geralf's Messager can play around some of that, but wouldn't having a chance to sac it, get a 4/3 and at the very least cause 4 life loss a be pretty insane way to pressure your opponent? Now think about doing the same with other value cards in similar situations.

I personally feel the card helps the deck click together a bit. I couldn't see myself not running it.

I am certainly more intriged to run it now that's for sure, will playtest I see what fits the best. That being said, this deck isn't an easy one to trim down. I'm real happy only playing 3/4 2 mana creatures, but it certainly seems like that's the spot the has the worst cards. Alternatively you could take away some removal, but in such a creature heavy format, that also doesn't seem ideal.

Deadwalkers, y u no Victim of Night?

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Is D14 not tribal-centric enough for you?

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Victim of Night is a strictly better card for Deadwalkers than Doom Blade.

Not to mention more in flavour.

... the base deck list only has 59 cards.

Wizards_Sean, could you please update the deck with the missing card? Please?

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Victim of Night is a strictly better card for Deadwalkers than Doom Blade.

Victim of Night is more tribal centric than Doom Blade. If you guys want more tribal affiliated cards, that's fine.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Here's a quick build of this deck.. I can already tell, any early build is not going to be perfect because this deck has so many good cards that it's really hard to build. There will be a lot of deck testing needed to perfect this one. I couldn't even find room for the Grave Titan.. I feel like Corrupt is just better in such an aggressive deck and you really don't want three 6-cost spells in this. Plus with all the recursion you already have a good lategame plan anyway. But it really feels wrong to leave him out.. :/

60 cards total
24 Swamps

1 x Quest for the Gravelord
1 x Vampiric Tutor
2 x Diregraf Ghoul
3 x Gravecrawler
3 x Black Cat
1 x Bloodghast
2 x Doom Blade
1 x Sign in Blood
1 x Grim Return
2 x Fleshbag Marauder
2 x Geralf's Messenger
2 x Lord of the Undead
1 x Death Baron
2 x Undead Warchief
1 x Grave Pact
1 x Mutilate
1 x Consuming Vapors
1 x Liliana's Reaver
2 x Tendrils of Corruption
3 x Cruel Revival
2 x Corrupt
1 x Death Cloud

Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!
Honestly, I don't think this deck even needs to run Quest for the Gravelord...
Also, this deck has enough Lords to make Veilborn Ghoul almost playable!

...but still not really.  Should've been Nested Ghoul instead.
Tortured Existence in the promos!
Is the promo list out now.
I like how this deck and Avacyn's Glory were pretty much built to go head to head. We even have both versions of Mikaeus (The Unhallowed and The Lunarch).

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Victim of Night is more tribal centric than Doom Blade. If you guys want more tribal affiliated cards, that's fine.

It's not the matter of Tribal-centric, it's that Doom Blade is "randomly useless against a large portion of MotD critters and who knows what else in any largely Black DLC decks" versus "Victim of Night is useless against a small portion of MotD decks and possibly little to no other Black DLC decks, but maybe somewhat useless against a possible future Werewolf deck." I mean I don't seriously think - and I could be entirely wrong on this one - that they're going to do Zombies AND Vampires in the same year AGAIN, but even so, this deck is mono-Black, and there's more creatures which aren't Vampires/Zombies/Werewolves than there are creatures who aren't Black.

Basically I'm just wondering why VoN wasn't used as a compromise between DB and GftT. 

Sign In to post comments