Hole-filling with Mark Rosewater

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
So a couple weeks back on his blog, Mark Rosewater engaged his audience with a little game.
He detailed a card that had been cut from an upcoming set and gave his readers a set of parameters they had to follow to make a replacement.

Apparently everyone had a blast doing it, and MaRo might start making it a regular thing (though I need to emphasize HE'S NOT LOOKING AT THE ANSWERS BECAUSE HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO).

Sooooo, let's make this a contest.

You have two days to design a card. You get one shot at it, so think hard. At the end of two days we will begin voting. The highest voted card makes it into the set.

You must follow the following parameters. Any that don't meet all the requirements are instantly DQed.

I need an uncommon artifact creature that costs more than 4. We’re stuck with the name Mercury Golem so make this top down. Go.

What's the best you can do? Go. 
"Mercury" is known more commonly in Magic as "quicksilver". But looking at all the quicksilver cards, there's almost not common thread. So, I guess it could be just about anything. So... ya.

Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem (U)
Vigilance
Whenever Mercury Golem becomes the target of a spell or ability, it becomes an Island land until end of turn.
"Like capturing quicksilver in your hands"
—alchemist saying meaning "impossible"

4/5
But I don't even know anything about the set.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Ill pretend its from theros!

Mercury Golem 7
Artifact creature - Golem
Haste
Whenever ~ attacks, defending player draws a card.
Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, draw a card.
6/6

It delivers and receives packages.
Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature — Golem
Whenever a player casts a spell, choose one—Mercury Golem's power becomes equal to that spell's converted mana cost; or its toughness becomes equal to that spell's converted mana cost. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
"For quickness, mercury. It gives motion to the base, reactivity to the inert." — The Hermetica
4/4

I kind of want to slap this on: "Mercury Golem has flying as long as its power is 2 or less. It has trample as long as its power is 6 or greater."

For funsies, for when Qin Shi Huang drank mercury for immortality.

Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature — Golem
If you would lose the game for having 0 or less life, your life total becomes 1 instead. Your maximum hand sizes is reduced by one.
When your maximum hand size is 0 or less, you lose the game.
2/6
Ill pretend its from theros! Mercury Golem 7 Artifact creature - Golem Haste Whenever ~ attacks, defending player draws a card. Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, draw a card. 6/6 It delivers and receives packages.

You don't know anything about Theros either.

Yxoque wrote:

Ill pretend its from a Greek themed set.
That was obviously a trick question. Given my experience with project development, one does not simply have an open slot that could be 4 mana or anything above. When you're developing a solid state project, the curve must be kept strictly proportionate. Remember that strong decks are based on strong curves, and those strong curves come from how you develop the project. We start at the base (one mana, with the highest number of designs), then working your way up evenly (with a decline in the number of designs) for each ascending converted mana cost. For each color section, those numbers need to match—because otherwise, there will be an inconsistency somewhere, and it won't play out evenly. Meaning, a certain color//multicolor or tribal sect may not have as much a fighting chance as the others—because its curve is distorted from an uneven, unproportionate development.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

the mana curve is effected by mana acceleration. activated abilities and mana deterance

Mercury Golom artifact creature
: this gets +1/-1 to end of turn.
: this gets -1/+1 to end of turn.
4/3
the mana curve is effected by mana acceleration. activated abilities and mana deterance

Mercury Golom artifact creature
: this gets +1/-1 to end of turn.
: this gets -1/+1 to end of turn.
4/3

This was pretty much the first thing that came to mind when I read the criteria. The only other thing I might have done would be to make a it a 3/3 with Flash rather than a 4/3. But, in the spirit of this being a contest, might as welll try something else.

Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem U
Whenever Mercury Golem deals damage to a nonartifact creature, that creature loses all abilities until your next turn.
2/4

Because, see, it's a neurotoxin. Or something.

Too close to Matt's simplicity
Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem U
Whenever a player casts a blue spell, Mercury Golem gets -1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever a player casts a red spell, Mercury Golem gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
4/4

Because, see, you're freezing it or melting it. Or something.

It's mostly effected by the ascending collective converted mana cost of the designs within each section//theme. Having a mana booster at four mana is a far cry from one at six mana. Even at three mana, you'll still need three lands to tap into it—and if the rest of your deck isn't in order, it's of no use.

The same goes for anything else—it's all got to play into the number of lands you can get onto the board and amass over the course of your turns. It's the number of lands you have/can get that accounts for the curve more than anything. And even under the effects of land fetching spells, the factor of forces plays in. What good is a single Patron of the Orochi? You can't just have one really big creature, it won't stand up to the test of time against masses of removal. You need a flow of resources, of creatures—a steady curve to stand the test of time.

Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem
Flash
You may have ~ enters the battlefield with its power and toughness switched. 
Strong as an armor yet quick as a flood.
2/4

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Mercury Golem
Flash
You may have ~ enters the battlefield with power and toughness equal to any number you can find among cards on the battlefield.
3/3

I just have to say this is in no way uncommon.
Mercury in the occult/mythology is most famously denoted as "the one closest to the Sun".

That's probably the greatest embodiment of flavor you could capture.

Mercury Golem :6M:
Artifact Creature- Golem (U)
Flash
When Mercury Golem enters the battlefield, put 2 +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature.
It is powerful enough for everything to become part of it. 
4/3
IMAGE(http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/wallpapers/HavengulLich_DKA_Facebook_Wallpaper.jpg)
I really enjoy the title of this thread.
Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature- Golem (U)

Mercury Golem gets -1/-1 for each artifact creature you control.

At the beginning of your upkeep or when Mercury Golem dies, put a 1/1 Golem artifact creature token onto the battlefield.

5/5 

Mercury, the First Sol
Creature — Celestial Orb
X can’t be less than 4.
As an additional cost to cast Mercury, the First Sol, discard a card at random. You may discard an additional card at random for each mana you spent over four mana to cast it.
Mercury, the First Sol enters the battlefield as a copy of each artifact card discarded this way.
*/*

Okay what I've got here is working around the same concept as Nyarlathotep (from Project Mythgard). If you don't remember, any time a spell or permanent would become multiple copies of something, it becomes a modal copy. How this works is simple—among the list of cards that it's a copy of, you can change the mode at certain given times, and the card will be treated as that card and the rest will be ignored. Some of the times when you can change the mode are—when it attacks or blocks; when it becomes the target of a spell or ability; when the phase or step ends; whenever a player casts a spell; etc.

GM, that is not a golem, not named "Mercury Golem", and definitely not something that would show up at uncommon.
GM, that is not a golem, not named "Mercury Golem", and definitely not something that would show up at uncommon.

That might be true, but the other conditions weren't in order either, so I've aligned the design according to the most malleable attributes. In my experience with project development, Rarity is the most malleable attribute of any given design (especially Golden Rare). A set can even benefit from having an above average amount of Golden Rare cards because it increases the measure of diversity among them (since there are more of them, they're scattered out—and thus, a little more rare each). Cost and color are the least malleable attributes—and when I say that, I mean not malleable at all in some cases. Creature type can also be the same—however, if it would add something very special to the project, this factor can take precedence. Something special defined as; a special flavor, mechanical operation, or catalyst.

I imagine this is one of those cards where the design has been scrapped after the card collector number and the artwork has been locked in — you can't change the name without altering the card's collector number, so it has to be named "Mercury Golem" (and, presumably, has to fit the artwork of a golem-like creature).
Mercury Golem

Artifact Creature — Golem - (U)
Mercury Golem enters the battlefield with four +1/+1 counters on it.
If Mercury Golem would be dealt damage, remove a +1/+1 counter from it and choose one instead — Put a 1/1 Golem artifact creature token onto the battlefield; or put a +1/+1 counter on another Golem you control.
0/0

Probably not uncommon...
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Mercury Golem
Flash
You may have ~ enters the battlefield with power and toughness equal to any number you can find among cards on the battlefield.
3/3

I just have to say this is in no way uncommon.

how about now

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Mercury Golem
Mercury Golem is unblockable.
Infect
3/3 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature—Golem (U)
: Mercury Golem gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
It doesn't move, but rather pours itself through time and space.
0/7
Mercury Golem 
Deathtouch
2/5 

Show
Upon the day that dragons were born, so to was the first white wig worn, by men who wished to make the world theirs, and in the process sorcery tears - the very fabric of space and time, dragging the dragons right into their prime, these monstrous beasts in philosophical mansions, stood right in the way of colonial expansions. To break these beasts a hero must be found, a hero of the future who can stand the sound - of centuries past and voices unfettered, and someone who'll carve dragon graves lettered - R, I, and P the three sacred symbols, that curse the dead to a land without gimbals. A land they'll never leave, because escape cannot conceive - itself, out of the grip of this mustachio'd hero, a Roosevelt who is comparable to zero. Family crest tattooed on his chest, the baddest m****rf****r this side of the West. And to the dismay of the colonial fools, their futuristic hero had to play by the rules, and the hero chosen by the dragons themselves, they summoned with a tome pulled from dusty shelves. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, or so they said, as their dragon tails were waggin'. And up from the depths, as the earth shook, the Oldest of Ones opened eyes for a look - at the battle that was about to be waged, the human champion that stood enraged - on the precipice between hither and yon, to battle this most eldritch scion. And with that, the tension was broken, the combat began, and each soul had spoken - its very last words, because as soon as time had started, so to had it ended, and sentience departed.
Mercury Golem
Creature: Golem (U)
~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counter on it. X cannot be zero. Whenever ~ becomes a target of a spell put a -1/-1 counter on it. "Some plans hold together better than others,"
2/2

New card:

Mercury Golem
Creature: Golem
Whenever ~ becomes the target of a instant/sorcery it has -1/-1 until  the end of the turn.
"So what does it do? Drown you?"
4/3 
Mercury Golem -
Artifact Creature - Golem Shapershifter
At end of turn, if Mercury Golem's power or toughness changed this turn, draw a card.
"Sometimes you need an assassin. Other times, a protector. And sometimes, you just want someone who can fill a hole." - Maro.
3/4
From nothing came teeth.
Bad news folks.
People haven't been getting the message and keep sending MaRo their answers to this on his blog. He's not going to be doing this again in the future.
Suuuuucks D:

So I'm thinking that as part of this contest, I'm going to instigate a prize.
The creator of the highest voted card gets to pick the parameters for the next round.
Sound like something you all would be interested in?      
Mercury Golem
Mercury Golem enters the battlefield with five +1/+1 counters.
Defender
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Mercury Golem: Until end of turn, Mercury Golem loses defender and gains your choice of haste, double strike, flying, indestructable, or +3/+3.
0/0 

Level 1 Judge

Damn, someone already commented on the thread title...oh well...phrasing.

Just a quick design, don't have much time:

Mercury Golem       
Flash
Whenever a player casts a red spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Mercury Golem. 
3/3  

Hmmm, maybe it should be called Thermometer Golem....

EDIT:  I really want to put "Whenever a player casts a blue spell, put a -1/-1 counter on Mercury Golem" but I'd like to avoid the comments on multiple counter types as well... 
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Compared with Phyrexian Hulk, many of these are not uncommons.

Show
Upon the day that dragons were born, so to was the first white wig worn, by men who wished to make the world theirs, and in the process sorcery tears - the very fabric of space and time, dragging the dragons right into their prime, these monstrous beasts in philosophical mansions, stood right in the way of colonial expansions. To break these beasts a hero must be found, a hero of the future who can stand the sound - of centuries past and voices unfettered, and someone who'll carve dragon graves lettered - R, I, and P the three sacred symbols, that curse the dead to a land without gimbals. A land they'll never leave, because escape cannot conceive - itself, out of the grip of this mustachio'd hero, a Roosevelt who is comparable to zero. Family crest tattooed on his chest, the baddest m****rf****r this side of the West. And to the dismay of the colonial fools, their futuristic hero had to play by the rules, and the hero chosen by the dragons themselves, they summoned with a tome pulled from dusty shelves. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, or so they said, as their dragon tails were waggin'. And up from the depths, as the earth shook, the Oldest of Ones opened eyes for a look - at the battle that was about to be waged, the human champion that stood enraged - on the precipice between hither and yon, to battle this most eldritch scion. And with that, the tension was broken, the combat began, and each soul had spoken - its very last words, because as soon as time had started, so to had it ended, and sentience departed.
Compared with Phyrexian Hulk, many of these are not uncommons.

Having an ability is too complex?

Yxoque wrote:

Yes, according to R&D, as of 2012. Also, it's filling a hole. It's not meant to be complex.

Show
I genuinely hope I'm just not able to sense the sarcasm.

Yxoque wrote:

Updated entry. But seriously no abilities? (Sometimes I wonder if we should clarify emotions like a certain race does when they talk on Mass Effect...)

Also keep in mind of Galvanic Juggernaut which is an uncommon at 4 cmc... Was this inspiration for the contest?
Mercury Golem

Deathtouch
"Toxic mediums provide great benefits to the canny artificer" - Book of Golems
3/5

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Mercury Golem
Whenever ~ becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, put a token thats a copy of it onto the battlefield.
A menace with no end.
2/2
Mercury Golem

Artifact creature-Golem
Flash
, sacrifice Mercury Golem: Until end of turn you may cast spells as though they had flash.
4/4    
Mercury Golem 
Artifact Creature - Golem (U)
~ gains haste and first strike until the end of turn.
insert flavor text.
4/3

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

Mercury Golem
Artifact Creature-Golem
Flash
Cards you own named Mercury Golem cost less to cast.
3/3

The biggest Vorthos Ever I'd rather have an awesome mechanic than the most flavor any day. Constantly coming up with cards all the time. So if you see a card you like tell me. Constantly trying to get into card of the week if you see a card you like please nominate.

Sign In to post comments