Magic 2014 "Firewave" Decklist and Strategies

1006 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Not that bad, it's more about creatures than burn. Stick Fireshrieker on your creatures for win. Kiln Fiend is very dangerous and this deck have some cardraw. Not the best deck, but i think it will be dangerous sometimes.
haha why the pilgrims eyes
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Four Eyes and three Fiends... let the shitstorm commence!

Good thing I don't care for mono-red!

With 25 lands I don't see the point of Pilgrim's Eye. I guess they want to turn it into a more slow deck kind of how Liliana used the shades to get the right amount of lands, Idk..... I am baffled.
Reposting this because I'm lazy:

Well, the deck does get a little better with the unlocks. Not calling it good or anything, but there are some cute little synergies there, like Wild Guess + Grim Lavamancer. It has a trio of Kiln Fiends, so that's something. Also Hostility and Inferno Titan.

Point is, we were saying this deck was in need of good unlocks to become remotely playable, and we have some good cards there, so...

At least the other two Red decks are good...

And I laughed very loud when I saw Final Fortune

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Final Fortune looks fun, and we have 3 Kiln Fiends, still i don't like this deck but this looks quite good for 2 vs 2...

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Missed the Inferno Titan and Hostility before so that makes it slightly better. I guess this is inbetween 2012 and 2013 in terms of strength. The flexibility is maxed too so I'm gonna guess it can be built in many ways. Still not impressed though. I look forward to Garruks now.

Can Final Fortune be used on the opponant? if so that's fun. If not...meh.

With 25 lands I don't see the point of Pilgrim's Eye. I guess they want to turn it into a more slow deck kind of how Liliana used the shades to get the right amount of lands, Idk..... I am baffled.

Seismic Assault and Armageddon says hello :P

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

You also have 2x Fireshrieker. If you get in with a Fireshrieked creature once, you can easily Final Fortune for the game.
Wizards_Sean also killed my more comprehensive post...
But yeah, it goes more for the Burn the opponent's face off approach. 3x Lava Axe, Reverberate. Browbeat.

I love Browbeat by the way. Awesome card. Should have been 2 instead of Wild Guess.

It'll be interesting to see what the Promos do.
Well, there are multiple Final Fortune plus a reverate. I guess they wanted to play a joke on CWs.
Only 3 Torch Fiend??!!!!  The first rule of deck construction should be that you can never have too many Torch Fiend.  Grr...
Bah, can't get the autocard on unlocks to work. Possibly because of how it was C&P'd from the source. Whichever. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Missed the Inferno Titan and Hostility before so that makes it slightly better. I guess this is inbetween 2012 and 2013 in terms of strength. The flexibility is maxed too so I'm gonna guess it can be built in many ways. Still not impressed though. I look forward to Garruks now.

Lol.. Turn 2, win the game against all but the most extreme aggro decks, yeah that would be fun

Also Final Fortune doesn't work with reveberate you lose the game before you get your second extra turn.

As for the deck itself I think it will be playable, but not be nearly as good as chandra D13 was. The higher focus on creatures makes me a bit sad, but there's some good combos in there and a few very powerfull cards like Final fortune. The biggest let down is the very high number of pretty much auto-exclude cards..
Deck certainly looks better then it originally was!

Lol.. Turn 2, win the game against all but the most extreme aggro decks, yeah that would be fun

Also Final Fortune doesn't work with reveberate you lose the game before you get your second extra turn.

As for the deck itself I think it will be playable, but not be nearly as good as chandra D13 was. The higher focus on creatures makes me a bit sad, but there's some good combos in there and a few very powerfull cards like Final fortune. The biggest let down is the very high number of pretty much auto-exclude cards..

Red always has more throwaways than any other colour.
'Cept maybe DLC BLack decks...
Bah, can't get the autocard on unlocks to work. Possibly because of how it was C&P'd from the source. Whichever. 

Still a good work, thanks

If you remove that decklist after Sean post it in the OP, that would be even better.

The biggest let down is the very high number of pretty much auto-exclude cards..

It's like GG with 100% less brokenness

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Yeah, I intend to delete it. The list, not the deck. Actually, if I get 2014, I might delete the deck too. Sure, that'll mean crashing anyone who tries using it in multiplayer against me, but maybe they'll take the hint and switch decks. :p

Yeah, I intend to delete it. The list, not the deck. Actually, if I get 2014, I might delete the deck too. Sure, that'll mean crashing anyone who tries using it in multiplayer against me, but maybe they'll take the hint and switch decks. :p

LoL. That would crash their game or yours? Just curious.

Also, I wouldn't delete the deck, just for the fact that losing to it will be hilarious

Red always has more throwaways than any other colour.
'Cept maybe DLC BLack decks...

Not to beat a dead house here, but BoF had very few throw away cards. It was so good that stuff like Firewing Phoenix, Obsidian fireheart and Hostility/Inferno titan wasn't in many peoples 60.

Btw I like that the Mtv-geeks article starts by saying this will be the third litteration of Duels of the Planeswalkers.. Good to now they are giving these decklists to the websites that have the true DotP fans... 
Chandra's "Firewave" Deck

Unlocks
[deck]
1 Inferno
1 Lava Axe
1 Staff of the Flame Magus
1 Kiln Fiend
1 Fire Servant
1 Flamebreak
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Fireshrieker
1 Furnace of Rath
1 Inferno Titan
1 Wild Guess
1 Seismic Assault
1 Kiln Fiend
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Sulfuric Vortex
1 Fireshrieker
1 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Browbeat
1 Flame Slash
1 Chandra's Spitfire
1 Disintegrate
1 Final Fortune
1 Kiln Fiend
1 Fire Servant
1 Reverberate
1 Final Fortune
1 Sulfuric Vortex
1 Stalking Vengeance
1 Fireshrieker
1 Hostility
[/deck]

Pilgrim's Eye makes more sense with the deck having more mana intensive cards and burn. Not to mention Seismic Assault and card draw.
I can see this having pretty surprising wins when dropping Furnace of Rath and Final Fortune on the same turn. 
I can't wait to drop a Flamebreak with Stalking Vengeance.

I can't say yet if it's stronger or weaker than 2013's Chandra, but it's certainly refreshing. New concepts are good! 
Well, I can see it doing quite nicely in Multiplayer. Grim Lavamancer and Furnace of Rath can be painful.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Hey athiesm, can you make the unlock list give us a card view as well?  Thanks!

Finally, we have the list!  Lol.  Obviously this is less of a burn deck than BoF, but it doesn't seem to be the gawd awful crap everyone was going on about.  I am still slightly confused about the 4x Pilgrim's Eye but not every single card is going to be used anyhow.  Maybe they will be more helpful than I am assuming they will be.

As far as one color having more throw aways than another...most of us use roughly 60-61 cards in every deck anyway...which means we throw away the same amount in any deck...or if you use the 80 card method to create your decks, you still throw away the same amount of cards after 80.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

haha arq...beat me to it...

GoA, can you edit your post and link the cards? 
This deck looks quite interesting! [C]Kiln Fiend[/C]s, Card Draw, some very cool stuff like [C]Final Fortune[/C].

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Wow, the more I look at this list the more fun I think this deck will be!  A draw spell for red too!  Move over blue!!!  Lol.  Seriously though, this deck looks like a lot of fun, I can't wait to start playing it.  I like a solid burn deck as much as anyone, but I like the the vibe this deck has going.

Here's a /laugh in face to those I promised it to. ;P 

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

LoL. That would crash their game or yours? Just curious.

Also, I wouldn't delete the deck, just for the fact that losing to it will be hilarious

Well, their game would crash to desktop. Mine would freeze because it would sit waiting for input from them forever. At least in 2013. Not sure if 2014 changes anything. Not sure if I left game who'd be considered the winner by the game. Not sure if there's any potential leaderboard abuse in that but also don't care to find out.

I feel sorry for Chandra in story mode. :p 

In all seriousness, I don't hate this deck anymore.   Final Fortune, Browbeat and Wild Guess, had they been in Born of Flame, could have made a creatureless version of that deck viable.  If the promo unlocks have an extra Browbeat and Wild Guess, or include something like Faithless Looting, and 3-4 instant speed burn spells, this deck could be very powerful I think.

Also - Final Fortune will be the source of endless 'mono-red is so broken in 2HG' posts, and I'm looking forward to the hilarity of it, so even if the promos are bad, there's still an upside. 
Good thing I don't really play or care about 2HG. ;P

I feel sorry for Chandra in story mode. :p 

Hahaha, you should create a hastag #teamramaz

Really, though, the deck is not that terrible...

Also - Final Fortune will be the source of endless 'mono-red is so broken in 2HG' posts, and I'm looking forward to the hilarity of it, so even if the promos are bad, there's still an upside. 

You look forward to that, I'm looking forward to threads with this title:
"My 2HG partner used Final Fortune on our second turn"
LOL Shidoshi, that is hilarious.  You know it will happen all the time too.  This is great.

Posted this in another thread, but will post it here as well.

I think this deck is going to curve out very well, I just made a build in my head that was pretty much just all the best cards and that ended out on:

1 mana cards: 8
2 mana cards: 8
3 mana cards: 9
4 mana cards: 4
5 mana cards: 3
6 mana cards: 2
x cards:           2

And there wasn't any cards in that build that I wasn't happy with (a good sign that the deck is probably all right). Plus it has lots of cards that are hella fun to play 

Don't have time to post the whole build now, but I'll just say that I'm pretty optimistic about this deck. 
Now that we know Seismic Assault is in the deck, I guess it kinda makes sense having 4x Pilgrim's Eye. Will it be worth it to run them just because of the one card?
I kind of doubt it AyJay, but I may be wrong once we start playtesting builds.  I could see maybe throwing in a couple of Eyes the more I think about it though.  Probably not all 4.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Not to beat a dead house here, but BoF had very few throw away cards. It was so good that stuff like Firewing Phoenix, Obsidian fireheart and Hostility/Inferno titan wasn't in many peoples 60.

Chandra's D13 deck had 2x Fire Elemental 2x Torch Fiend and 7x Fire breathing critters.
Eye => Seismic Assault => Lavamancer.

Also,  eye helps shuffle after plow under if wanted and prepare for an armageddon

Yeah why on earth have 4 x Eyes? I guess to combo with discard enchantment?
Shame that it is much more creature based compared to before since it removes some variety but at the same time I don't particularly like burn much anyway so it looks pretty fun to play with for the most part.
It does look like there are many different ways to build the deck and Pilgrim's Eye is made more clear now with seismic assault but I'm still not sure that it's worth includig just to combo with one other card.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!