3.5 Magic items needed

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay so here's the deal, I cannot for the life of me figure out what items I want to use.
My DM said I have no restrictions on this, aside from not being able to put effects on any items.
So say, I wanted a +2 flaming greatsword, I couldn't get it because we are not aloud to place effects on items.
However, if I wanted an item that had an enchantment, I could just purchase say, Celestial Armor and I would recieve the +3 that was already placed on the armor.

Of course, I already have armor and a weapon, so there's no need for those. What I am trying to decide on, is a good pair of boots, gloves/gauntlets, and a cloak.
My character is a Rogue 20, Assassin 10, Shadowdancer 10.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated
It's called "A DM who knows the rules," from the DMG. Very good investment overall.

Also, seriously, you're level fourty? Your WBL is massive, why are you even looking at small crap like that?
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
Here's what you need to do: get up and walk away.

If you're just walking into a game at 40th level (we are talking about DnD 3.x aren't we?) and have "no idea on what magic items you need" there is no way you should be playing at that level.  At that level you should basically be able to get anything in the DMG or even MIC for that matter.  I don't know what's wrong with a +2 flaming greatsword but it is a lot like a +3 weapon but at your level the primary weapon should be +6 or greater.  At 40th level you should have almost anything you desire.

I don't often completely agree with EruditeApe (welcome back for however long it lasts) but in this cast I'm afraid I agree.

Oh, welcome to the board super_cool_elf_guy but be warned that questions like this usually don't get nice responses because they are so far away from what could be considered a normal game the rules completely fall apart.

I'm going to agree as well; not being able to able to have items with effects on them is kind of ridiculous at that level.

Are you sure that's what your DM means?  By the sound of it, you're not allowed to have anything that doesn't appear already completed in the book.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Recommended reading.  You should have a permanent answer to every single item on that list at level 40.  You should be immune to everything, including HP damage and have a way to bypass the immunity of all others on your chosen form of delivery (sneak/death attack for you).
It's called "A DM who knows the rules," from the DMG. Very good investment overall.

Also, seriously, you're level fourty? Your WBL is massive, why are you even looking at small crap like that?

Yar.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Ok let me clarify, we cannot START with the enchanted equipment, however we can get the enchantment placed on the items once we find an enchanter. And yes, the DM did state we can purchase any item we could possibly want from any book. The DMG simply does not have any items for those slots I want, and seeing as how it is the only book I currently own with magic items in it, I was hoping for insight from someone who has Magic Item Compendium or some other book with an extensive list of items. So with that said, I would greatly appreciate the level of neggativity being dropped down a notch, since this forum is for asking questions or just having conversation. If you have a neggative comment, I would appreciate you keeping it to yourself. I'm not trying to be offensive, but this is just really stressing me out and I just wanted opinions of other people.
 So therefore, I apologize if I posted something people did not agree on, but I need help and if you aren't willing to help me with this please do not post on this.
Thank you and good day. 
In all honesty, there isn't much we can do for you. The game breaks ~level 25 or so.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
In all honesty, there isn't much we can do for you. The game breaks ~level 25 or so.

That and the books really don't cover the magic item potential you'd have as a 40th-level character.

Not necessarily level 40 quality but:

Stormbrand from Epic Level Handbook - +4 Thundering Shocking Burst Greatsword that allows you to Fly at will, move and fly unhindered in high wind conditions, and grants resistance 30 to sonic and electricity. market value 235,350gp.

Feet:

Boots of Swiftness (Epic HB): +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity; doubles your base speed; gain Evasion special ability; jumping distance not limited by height. Gain a +20 competance bonus to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks. 3/day activate Haste for 20 rounds. Market value 256,000gp

Shoulders:

Mantle of Great Stealth (Epic HB): +30 bonus to Hide and Move Silently; continuous Blur; continuous nondetection. Market value 242,000gp

DOn't know what your budget is.

Universal elemental immunity 2,160,000 gp. Would be nice for a rogue because the epic stuff will eat your character if you fail saving throws.

The less would be nice 216 for 30 all res.

If you can have special weapons I would get

Marrowcrushing book of viledarkness. Since your evil. Or vile so you do some damage no matter what. SInce their will be alot of things immune to you sneak attack.
And a vile ring.

Be sure to have your character have read one of each of the +5 Tomes and Manuals to get +5 inherent bonuses to each of your ability scores. At 137,500gp, a 40th level character should be able to afford them easily.
First, I'll start out with some generally useful items for very high levels:

A starmantle cloak (Book of Exalted Deeds, p116) makes you immune to damage from non-magical weapons and lets you make a reflex save to take half damage from magical weapons.  Your evasion ability lets you negate all damage from an attack when you make a reflex save that would normally cause you to take half damage.  This combination has been debated in the past, and I wouldn't expect it to be allowed in a normal game, but in a level 40 game I'm figuring anything goes.  

A cowl of warding (Magic of Faerun, p156) makes you immune to anything that would affect your mind or limit your movement.  Alternately, you could combine a third eye conceal (Magic Item Compendium, p141) and a ring of freedom of movement.  

A Hathran mask of true seeing (Unapproachable East, p57) allows you to see through any magical effect that would hide something from you or show you something false. 

A ring of true strike negates any miss chance you would face and gives you +20 to hit.  

I'm about to get very obscure here, but the normal way to fill this niche is an armor property, so you apparently couldn't start with it.  A ring of death ward (Dragon magazine #342, p68) protects you from quite a few things that could otherwise kill you outright.  

Now, on to items for the specific slots you mentioned:

For your feet, boots of swiftness (Epic Level Handbook) would be nice.  [Edit: I see those was already suggested, oops.]  Alternately boots of swift passage (Magic Item Compendium, p78) let you teleport up to 20 feet 5 times per day.  

For your hands, maybe a casting glove (Magic Item Compendium, p84).  You could use it to store a scroll or wand and activate it without taking it out.  Your modifier of the use magic device skill can easily be high enough to use any spell from a scroll or wand.  This just frees up your hands.  

For your shoulders, a pheonix cloak (Magic Item Compendium, p210) lets you fly at your land speed with perfect maneuverability.  Note that, since it says “land speed” and not “base land speed,”  the doubling from boots of swiftness applies.  The starmantle cloak suggestion above still applies here too.
There is no official write up for a Ring of True Strike. The link you've supplied explains how its price might be determined, but if the OPs DM isn't even allowing him to put official properties on a weapon, he certainly wouldn't allow that.

That said, why is the DM not allowing you to put basic properties on a weapon. At the level you're at you really need to be doing custom items, or stacking the abilities of one item onto another. Doing this adds 1.5 times the cost of the more expensive property to the cost of the item. For example, if you want to add the power of Casting Gloves to a pair of Gloves of Dexterity +4, you'd have to pay 30,000gp (1.5x the cost of Casting Gloves).
Thank you guys, sorry for flying off the handle a wee bit. Had a horrible day.
My spending limit is roughly 13 mil I believe, could be wrong.
I'll deffinately look into these items though, so again thank you.
Just to be clear, the above mentioned gloves would cost 46,000gp total, 16,000 for the Dex +4 and 20,000x1.5 for the Casting Glove ability.

If you wanted to add the Casting Glove property to a pair of Gloves of Dexterity +6, it would be 36,000gp (dex+6), plus 20,000 (casting), plus 18,000 (half the cost of the more expensive enhancement). 74,000gp total.
 Ok let me clarify, we cannot START with the enchanted equipment, however we can get the enchantment placed on the items once we find an enchanter. And yes, the DM did state we can purchase any item we could possibly want from any book. The DMG simply does not have any items for those slots I want, and seeing as how it is the only book I currently own with magic items in it, I was hoping for insight from someone who has Magic Item Compendium or some other book with an extensive list of items. So with that said, I would greatly appreciate the level of neggativity being dropped down a notch, since this forum is for asking questions or just having conversation. If you have a neggative comment, I would appreciate you keeping it to yourself. I'm not trying to be offensive, but this is just really stressing me out and I just wanted opinions of other people.
 So therefore, I apologize if I posted something people did not agree on, but I need help and if you aren't willing to help me with this please do not post on this.
Thank you and good day. 

If this is stressing you out I suggest you take a step back and look at things from a different perspective.  Like, it's a game, homie.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

A couple of points:

1) At the level you're at, the book you really need is the Epic Level handbook, but if you're being restricted to DMG items, then any item or armor you get should be +5 with another +5 worth of bonus effects on it).  Really, at level 40, your weapons must be +6 or better because most monsters will have DR/Epic
     The magic item content of the Epic Level Handbook is avaialble freely online in the d20SRD.  It may be missing a few "iconic" items that are only in the book, but has most of the info.

2) Once you do meet an Enchanter, according to 3.5 item enchantment rules, it will likely take him years to enchant appropriate equipment for your party (unless the DM is again really bending the written rules on this).  If he's actually able to make any type of Epic item your party could want (meaning he's probably at least level 40 himself to have all the epic crafting feats), it will take even longer because once a weapon or armor has an enhancement bonus of +6 or higher, the base price is multiplied by 10 
   For example
        +5 weapon costs 50,000 gp
        +5 Flaming (~+1) weapon costs 72000 gp
        +6 weapon costs 720,000 gp
  Since it takes 1 day per 1000 gp in base price to enchant an item, making a +6 or better weapon would take at least 720 days just for that one item.

Come back and let us know what you came up with when all is said and done. I'm interested to know how much 13 mill got you.
2) Once you do meet an Enchanter, according to 3.5 item enchantment rules, it will likely take him years to enchant appropriate equipment for your party (unless the DM is again really bending the written rules on this).  If he's actually able to make any type of Epic item your party could want (meaning he's probably at least level 40 himself to have all the epic crafting feats), it will take even longer because once a weapon or armor has an enhancement bonus of +6 or higher, the base price is multiplied by 10 
   For example
        +5 weapon costs 50,000 gp
        +5 Flaming (~+1) weapon costs 72000 gp
        +6 weapon costs 720,000 gp
  Since it takes 1 day per 1000 gp in base price to enchant an item, making a +6 or better weapon would take at least 720 days just for that one item.

Just one quick point:

There is the possibility for it to only take 72 days, since we are dealing with (incredibly high) Epic level stuff...

Random quotes taken out of context
(More to come as I find them...)

Magical fairy princesses (i.e. all fairy princesses) have the pleasant situation of not needing to choose, unless they're rebellious teen emo fairy princesses.~ Slagger_the_Chuul, Gleemax

So you can have the basic stats of full plate armor in an iron loincloth or steel bikini? If you were playing Jeopardy, you'd get points for that.~ StevenO & Tempest_Stormwind, Gleemax

The monkey "yells" at the Dwarf, (high pitched monkey sounds) and turns to look at the Cleric to talk in common and says... *deep Barry White type voice. "Ah yea. Here ya go"~ BuddhaKai, Gleemax

One could, I guess, take the view that part of the spell is simply persuading physics to sit down and shut up~ Ocarina_Guy, Gleemax

So what happens if you automatically fail an automatic success? Inception.~ Kamanchu & MrDayKwan, Gleemax

Jafonel, that is absolutely my favorite misreading of RAW EVER. ~tsuyoshikentsu, Gleemax You know the best part? These are four-foot-tall creatures that can conjure hammers from nowhere. They are CHIBIS!!!! ~tsuyoshikentsu, Gleemax

Hmm. And here I thought that a whip was an implement of torture and a sword was an implement of killing... ~skydragonknight, Gleemax

I'm a little behind on this, but wouldn't letting the ability (to) create a Ruby Rod open up a whole can of worms with people claiming that means they can also create a Corbin Dallas? ~Kilroo, Gleemax

wow - we accidently went by the rules when the barbarian took of(f) someones arm on purpose.... ~Tetsuoh, Gleemax

Guys, it's obviously a trick question. No one plays a CN rogue unless they want to commit Evil acts and get away with it. :P ~herrdoktor, Gleemax

This ain't the real world. This is gosh darn Dungeons and Friken Dragons! ~Arcanist, GiantitP

just so I can have the glee of, when one of the PCs gets angry and yells "WHY WON'T YOU DIE" I can respond "I would prefer not to." ~Deth Muncher, GiantitP

If sleeping with Tieflings is "Tapping into Evil power" (if ya know what I mean), that is also an Evil Act according to BoVD, and would make a Paladin fall accordingly. ~Slipperychicken, GiantitP

So we have a real world basis for it to rain cattle ~MrCustomer, Gleemax

You both make point so good, you could stab someone with them. ~Immabozo, GiantitP

Given how gravity works differently for jumping, falling, stalling, and reverse gravity, we can conclusively say that D&D physics are powered by ACME Corp. ~Flickerdart, GiantitP

In D&D, I'm pretty sure the square-cube law merely describes how cubes are to be drawn on battle mats. ~Cog, GiantitP

continuous Prestidigitation refrigeration ~Tempest_Stormwind, Gleemax

54 days, if you also have the time reduction feat from ECS.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls