Power Strike

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

So I'm getting ready to start up another campaign over the summer and I've got one of my players who needs a simpler character to prevent her from going into option paralysis.  She played a Barbarian previously and liked what it had to offer in the way of damage output and over-all aggression, but it just had too many options for her to keep the game moving at a smooth pace.  This time around I've talked her into a more simple (some would say boring, but she doesn't ask for much) Fighter (Slayer) from the Essentials line. 

I don't actually own a copy of the book and so I'm relying on DDI's character builder to see me though this class.  What I'm having trouble sorting out is how Power Strike actually works.  It's listed as an encounter power, but it says it can be used multiple times.  However, I can't seem to sort out what "Multiple" means.  I can't find a chart or anything that says how many times during an encounter it can be tacked onto a successful attack. 

So yeah, can someone please explain Power Strike to me?  The characters are going to be somewhere between levels 6 and 8 if that helps.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Power Strike can be used once per encounter, but you gain additional uses of it per encounter as you level up, but you can still only use it once per turn.  If you're using the CB, it should have a little square checkbox on the bottom of the Power Strike card to indicate that you can use it once per encounter, or more than one checkbox if you're of a level where you can use it more than once per encounter.

You can see exactly how many uses of it a Slayer would get by looking at the Compendium entry for Slayer.  Since you're a subscriber, I'll save you the trouble and just tell you outright that if you're  6-8 level, you will have two uses of Power Strike ... the first is gained at level 1 and the second is gained at level 3.  IIRC, you don't get another use of it per encounter until level 13.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Man, Slayer is a boring class....

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

but it plays more  like the old school fighter.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Note also that if you want a little more complexity, the feat Martial Cross Training will let you trade in one use of Power Strike for a fighter power of your level or lower.  You need "Improved Power Strike" (which is the second/third/more use of it) to trade in that use.
Man, Slayer is a boring class....

It's a class with less analysis paralysis on what you need to choose from your sheet, and more focus on tactics on the battlefield.

I'm looking forward to playing one; I've enjoyed playing my Knight.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Power Strike is an Encounter Power for people who don't like Encounter powers!

You get one use of it at level 1, two uses/encounter at level 3, three uses/encounter at level 13

It's not entirely clear but it's listed there as “improved power strike” it's a minor niggle but it mentioned the total amount you got everytime you got more.

It refreshes after short rests exactly like any other encounter powers.

Basically upon hitting an enemy with a melee basic attack, the player can choose to do more damage. Since it's a free action that trigger upon hitting the enemy, they only need to declare they're using it when they actually it.
I'd say you'd need to declare they are using it "upon hitting but before damage is rolled" but people might interpret it differently.

As it proc's off melee basic attacks, I presume this includes opportunity attacks.

It is limited to one use per TURN (NOT per ROUND!), mentioned in both entries for Improved Power Strike
So they could use it on their turn, then again on an opportunity attack before their next turn.
But not if they spent and action point and made two attacks on their turn and use it on both.

At level 17 and level 27 it does more damage.

I was about to make a comment about thinking seriously about including the Bracers of Mighty Striking in a game with an Essentials Slayer... then I noticed the damn things are in HoTFL anyway... nevermind, I'm sure Wizards know what they're doing...

I concur, I like the At-Will/Encounter/Daily model myself, but hey hopefully the player enjoys it.

Rules As Written are rules as they are written.

Rules as they are written might still be contradictory, incomplete, confusing or unbalanced.

The right interpretation of the rules is the one that works for you and your gaming group.

A DM's judgement is the final authority in the game.

But if the DM is not running the game for the enjoyment of their players, then why are they running it at all?

Slayer's are the epitome of doing one thing and doing it extremely well.  They only make basic attacks (usually melee), but they get massive bonuses to the damage.  A first level Slayer could have at least +8 to damage, even without applying a stance (Strength+4, Dex+3, weapon expertise, other feats)m and I'm sure I'm being conservatively low on that number.  Optimized for damage at 1st level could probably get a modifier over 10, easily.
Slayer's are the epitome of doing one thing and doing it extremely well.  They only make basic attacks (usually melee), but they get massive bonuses to the damage.  A first level Slayer could have at least +8 to damage, even without applying a stance (Strength+4, Dex+3, weapon expertise, other feats)m and I'm sure I'm being conservatively low on that number.  Optimized for damage at 1st level could probably get a modifier over 10, easily.

Dwarf Slayer with DWT and a gouge:
+2[prof]+4[str]+1[class]+1[charge] = +8 to hit
2d6b1[W]+4[str]+3[dex]+4[duelist's assault]+2[feat] = 2d6b1+13

Best I can think of off the top of my head.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
AzureShade was starting at level 6ish. Without even looking beyond the two essentials books.

+14 to hit, D12+20 damage (high crit as greataxe)

Level 6 Half Orc Slayer.
Use the 17, 15, 12,11, 10, 8 array
Put 17 Str, 15 Dex, the +2 Str and Dex for being half orc and +1 to both for being level 4
= Str: 20, Dex 18
Feats: Axe Expertise, Weapon Focus (Greataxe)
Items: +2 Greataxe, Bracers of Mighty Striking. (level 6 and level 2 items, well within the suggested wealth of a level six character)

At level 5 you get Mighty Slayer so you add 2+dex modifier to weapon damage rolls. (so +6)

+14 to hit [(+3 base, +5 attribute str 20, +2 prof., +2 enh. (greataxe +2),+1 feat (axe expertise), +1 (weapon talent class feature) )]

+20 damage: [+ 5 (Str 20), + 6 (dex 18 with mighty slayer), +1 feat (weapon focus), +2 enh. (greataxe +2), +2 item (Bracers of Mighty Striking) +4 power (Duelist Assault Fighter Stance)]

Sure Duellist Fighter stance requires the enemy is only adjacent to the Slayer, but even using the more generic damage bonus of the Battle Wrath Stance instead it only drops down to D12+18.

Yeah, things will get horrible combing a Slayer and a Tactical Warlord.

Still prefer a normal 4E fighter myself though.

Rules As Written are rules as they are written.

Rules as they are written might still be contradictory, incomplete, confusing or unbalanced.

The right interpretation of the rules is the one that works for you and your gaming group.

A DM's judgement is the final authority in the game.

But if the DM is not running the game for the enjoyment of their players, then why are they running it at all?

Slayers get funner when your AP round at 12 consists of Charge> Power strike > prone target > trip up (free action) AP Rain of Blows, all critting on 19s and generating no-action free MBAs on crits...  All with Headsman's Chop if you can swing that.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thanks guys.  Basically what I was looking to do is get the feel of a Barbarian (a class that she really likes because of the high damage output) in a more simple package (less powers for her to have to pour over every turn looking for something to do).  After some tinkering with Slayer, I think I've managed to accomplish this. 

Sign In to post comments