Character Backgrounds?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, my character is a Half-Elf who spends his days riding around on a hooded wagon, just hanging out with the many heads of his enemies hanging from the back of the wagon. His face is horribly disfigured due to a fire he was in when he was 8 years old.
Society has shunned him for his appearance, but all he cares about is finding his long lost father that he's been searching for 30 years.

What all have you guys come up with in the way of backgrounds? :P
This is purely for the cosmetics of characters, so I apologize if I have offended anyone who thinks RPing is stupid.
You're off to a great start. Keep thinking like that. Before you know it, you'll have practically written whole books about characters, even if not actually set to paper. Good job!

Neue 
You want backgrounds like this?

Brutus started life alone and cold as his mother threw him into the street too ashamed of him to look at him because of what happened to her to make him.  Now Brutus would have died in that street had some monks not wandered by who saw the boy as a sign so they took him up and returned to their monastary.  There the boy grew strong and hearty but he was mercillesly abused for his odd appearance.  Eventually, this grew to be too much for Brutus so he cracked his tormentor's skull with his hand.  Now his old mentors recognized his actions for the self defense they were but because of them he could no longer stay.  Thus Brutus was force to depart to make his own way in the world.

Originally intended for a Half-Orc Monk (16,14,14,10,14,6) I'm sure it could be applied to a number of different characters.

Some months back I played a hellfire warlock who grew up on an orphanage without any friends with rigid nightmares about the infinite layers of the abyss, demons and devils. These dreams grew stronger and clearer over time (this character was level 11 when it was introduced to the campaign).

On his 12 year birthday his bullies killed his pet mouse as a “gift” which caused the character to go in some kind of unconscious state hurting the bullies with what the other children described as “magic”.  This was the first time the character experienced the power of the warlock which he had no clue he possessed. He was then told that he could not stay at the orphanage and was given some extra clothes, rations, bedroll (basic adventuring gear) and was told to leave during the next night. The character realized by punishing his enemies (even though it was by mistake) he was no better than them, and decided to never use these new discovered powers to hurt the innocent and if possible; use them in the name of the good.

The teenage years went by with him searching for work in different towns while trying to figure out who and what he was. When the character grew a bit older he discovered a poster in a town asking for people with “extraordinaire capabilities” (aimed towards any spontaneous spell casters and characters able to use spell-like abilities) who were interested in improve these. Intrigued byt this, the character joined the “school”, and was bound by contract to work for the school after graduating. The character soon discovered that he indeed was a warlock (which were not shunned upon in this small society) and was then trained accordingly with few other warlocks. 

The character showed great potential and when one of leaders picked him and two other warlocks for a secret course he wasn’t suspicious (why would he be?), but soon the students weren’t allowed to leave the dungeons they were studying in, and the subjects they were studying were getting darker. Finally the students were forced to travel to hell itself for a period of time, surviving there, because this leader was convinced that direct contact with the abyss would greatly benefit their invocations. He was right, but unfortunately only my character made it back alive, much stronger (meaning his first level of hellfire warlock was acquired during the stay in hell), and now blaming the leader for his friends deaths. He was tempted to avenge his friends the second he was planeshifted back, but remembered his own promise and accepted the leader’s offer to join him. He then later told the rest of the leaders of this the traitor’s plans and they stopped him.

The character was offered a highly ranked position but refused because he thought that such a position would prevent him for fighting for justice around the world, and he left the school (released by his contract), and later met the party where he helped them out of a tough situation gaining their trust despite the fact that he indeed is a warlock.

That’s the background story of a good aligned halfling hellfire warlock, cursed with nightmares in where he is directly contacted by demons, on his quest to help the weak, fight for justice and eliminate evil.

That reminds me, I need to come up with something for my new PF dood.  He's a Sylph Wizard who - if he lives long enough - will eventually (and by that I mean 'at the soonest available opportunity) to Mystic Theurge.  I don't have a whole lot right now but I do know he's a gambler and has the Sylph affinity for windy things.  The world we're playin' in is HB and strange so I need to come up with something odd.  I honestly just need to spend some time on it.  I was out of D&D long enough that char gen itself was a chore.  Luckily I have time before we start and I need to polish up my character sheet anyway.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Hrm?  What early entry?  I've barely even looked at the character yet.

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I don't know if it even exists in PF, but you can use Precocious Apprentice to qualify for MT by level 4 or 5 instead of 6 or 7.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
What's the text on that bad boy?  A quick search of the PF SRD didn't find me much.  There's a fan made trait that seems like it's it but I ain't sure.  Traits, though, aren't like Feats and ya only get two and they have to be different.  So ... looks like it may not be possible.  Like, I don't think the DM would let me use a friggin' player created trait even if it's on the PF site, yanno?  Plus I don't really care.

Section Six Soldier

Under 3.5 rules it's in Complete Arcane (in an extra section at the back).

Unless there's a PF-specific version, you would definitely want to ask your DM if it works, since it's kind of an extra feat in the same vein as Leadership (something for the DM to include if they want it), and its own benefit text suggests that it doesn't give you the ability to cast 2nd-level spells (its benefit changes into an extra 2nd-level slot when you become able to cast 2nd-level spells).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
@Slagger: The second sentence of the Benefit section is (paraphrasing): You gain a bonus second-level spell slot, which can only be used for the chosen spell.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Mystic Theurge is my favorite class. I'm just saying. It's sorta weak, but I play him strong. Allanon of the Shannara books. I'm no power player, but he is feared by all other players. (which either means I'm really good, or that they are really sucky at the game).
@Slagger: The second sentence of the Benefit section is (paraphrasing): You gain a bonus second-level spell slot, which can only be used for the chosen spell.

Indeed, yet the benefit text indicates twice (1st paragraph, 3rd sentence; 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence) that you don't have the ability to cast 2nd-level spells.  It could certainly be one way, but given these somewhat contradictory descriptions it could just as easily be the other; hence, the DM should be asked for their ruling.

If you were to try taking it all together, assuming that it is avoiding contradictions, the feat gives you the ability to cast the particular spell selected, but does not make you "able to cast 2nd-level spells", since the second paragraph indicates that would happen later.  Since that "able to cast 2nd-level spells" text is functionally identical to the requirements described for prestige classes (or at least, much closer than the equivalent of "cast one specific spell if you can make a caster level check"), it means you wouldn't be able to use Precocious Apprentice for early entry.

That is, the feat itself indicates that you don't yet have the required ability using an almost exact word-for-word reading of the prestige class requirement.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Sanctum Spell, any way to cheapen Heighten, Alternative Spell Source or Southern Magician, just any way to avoid having to eat so many waste levels that put you two spell levels down.

Any of that stuff in PF?  I kinda don't feel like lookin' it up right now. 

Hrm, Sanctum wouldn't work anyway.  We're starting at lvl1 and we will be moving.  Plus, you know, it stinks something awful cuz of the cheese. 

Section Six Soldier

Hell if I know. I don't play that crap, and the entire system is supposedly backwards-compatible. 

That makes things murky.  Why not just use the rules ya got?

You can get it at level one as a human. But I prefer the Southern Magician, or if you can pull it, Alternative Source Spell. And I don't think it qualifiesas cheese if it gets you into an otherwise garbage class that turns it into being pretty awesome.

dood, it's not what it does that's cheese - it's the interpretation.  ;)  That's not the kinda thing I like to pull at the table.  I mean, 'don't be a rooster' is an important rule and stuff like that is often seen as roostery behavior. 

Anyhoo, I don't need to be uber optimized for this game.  We run more RP than super kwazy combat.  Plus I don't really care.  I make my bones off the battlefield in most cases anyway.  Really, the only reason I picked the PrC is cuz I couldn't find anything else that spoke to me. I wanted a Wizard, the party needs a Cleric so *blammo* - why the not? 

Section Six Soldier

Because 3.5 is actually better-designed than pathfinder. An objective look at Pathfinder shows that they really didn't fix the underrlying systemic problems, and actually made them worse. Casters are even better, and melee without ToB is still crap.

Also, as I said, I don't touch that crap.

That's fair.  Unfortunately the DM just bought all the PF stuff and is wholly unfamiliar.  Therefore I don't imagine he'll be willing to mix and match just yet.  He's also the best DM we've ever had and is returning after a long hiatus (4e blows) and I'd rather not start tweaking him too soon.  ;)

Sort of an odd situation, I admit.  Typically our group is incredibly open to stuff. 

Really? From where I am, it's the bottom line that counts, and if early entry makes a MT competitive without being broken, then I don't see a problem squeezing in early. You can't enter before level 4 anyways, so I don't see a problem with Wizard 2/Cleric 1 with early entry, or at least Wizard 3/Cleric 1 with Southern Magician. Losing all those levels that early is too harsh otherwise.

Meh, it just seems like cheese to me.  I like specific and not interpreting things that weren't designed to work with stuff in the most advantageous possible way.  That said, I'm old.  I don't wanna have to have a sit down and argue about this stuff.  It's just not worth it to me.

By the way, you're talking about losing levels as harsh to someone who's played a Starmetal Adept and a Shugenja.    Admittedly that last one was a really, really terrible idea, heh.

The build I'm talking about? Not super optimized. You're not taking any powerful PrCs, you're getting a few extra tools.

True, it's not uber optimized.  That wasn't fair.

What do you mean by this?

I make the most difference to the story outside of combat.  The RP stuff is what I'm best at and I tend to make characters that make use of my ability.

First off, you really don't need a cleric. Second of all, really ,if you go MT without early entry, you won't be a wizard or a cleric. You'll be two levels behind in both classes. Like, seriously brah, early entry turns MT from a joke into a solid class.

Ok, I should have said 'the guys want a cleric in the party' - that's more accurate.  One dood would have played one instead of what he really wanted to play if I didn't offer some solution, too.  So, I did him a semi-solid ... wait ...

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried about it being a joke or whatever.  I think I'll do just fine.  I mean, there's ways around some stuff and there's that whole versatility thing that's pretty cool.  Mostly I wanted something different and this really qualifies for me.  I played so many non-casters in 2e and 3.5 that any caster at all is different. 

My DM is more into the story than uber optimized combat.  If I were the DM, though, this character may be in trouble.  I should be ok, though, so long as things are now as they once were.  And if this dood dies I vow to make something much more tougherer. 

Section Six Soldier

For an estimate of general competitiveness, I'd be looking at how a build compares to the standard classes at about Tier 3, rather than Tier 1 or 2 (just using tiers as a general guide).

Tier 3 is where you've got classes that are capable and contribute, while still having a reason to form a group instead of doing everything themselves.  I think that's a better benchmark than most of the high-grade spellcasters.

I mean, even a completely ordinary Cleric 3/Wizard 3 entry to Mystic Theurge is competitive with things outside those top tiers.

Within the group I'm fine.  There's a Ranger, a Rogue and ... well, the last guy is playing a class that i guess is considered pretty broken in PF.  Some sort of gish class.  Anyhoo, he's purposefully turned it back from 11 to start so we can all just relax and enjoy the story.  ;)

If this character dies I'll just make another.  Wouldn't be the first time, yanno?

Section Six Soldier

I mean, even a completely ordinary Cleric 3/Wizard 3 entry to Mystic Theurge is competitive with things outside those top tiers.

No, it isn't. It's not competitive until you hit tier 5.  It's trash.

That "trash" ends up with access to 8th-level spells for both arcane and divine casting (assuming the most basic build).  A couple of the Tier 3 classes have a slight edge on power by having 9th-level access to a particular subset, but don't exceed it on versatility, while the others lose out noticably due to their lack of spellcasting.

What do you think any of the Tier 3 or Tier 4 classes provide that's much better?  For example, why is the adept (Tier 4), which only gets a single set of up to 5th level spells, better than a prestige class that gives two sets of spells at up to 8th level?

What do you think any of the Tier 3 or Tier 4 classes provide that's much better?

Actual PrCs and class features? 9s or equivalents from the good half-casters? Did I mention the ability to multiclass and PrC?

Those aren't rated in Tier 3 and 4; in fact, prestige classes typically aren't rated at all (in the general sense) because their effects depend on the base.  That's the same for multiclassing; Tiers are typically a rating of a single class on its own merits.  The comparison is only possible here because we're comparing one approximate build of a prestige class with the general Tier rankings established by base classes.

Similarly, none of the half-casters really gain 9th-level spells in their own right; specific builds can do that by combining other elements, but that's an entirely different consideration.
The basic MT gives up class features to be worse at casting. It's a terrible deal.

More specifically, it trades a greater improvement on one casting class for a lesser improvement on two.  It is indeed bare on class features other than spellcasting.

But whether or not it seems like a bad deal is irrelevant; the build we're discussing still ends up producing something competitive with Tier 3 classes.
For example, why is the adept (Tier 4), which only gets a single set of up to 5th level spells, better than a prestige class that gives two sets of spells at up to 8th level?

PrCs? Having a damned good list? I could go on, if you want.

The adept list is good, but it's not better than having two different lists that go higher (the combined cleric/wizard list is better than the adept list).

And most prestige classes won't really do enough to offset its basic disadvantage on spellcasting compared to our basic Mystic Theurge build.

Were I you, I'd just exlpain to him exactly what you wanted to do with the 3.5 feat and clear it with him.

Honestly, it'd probably work.  I just don't feel that compelled to do it.  I mean, I haven't even finalized my character sheet yet. 

I dunno, as I've gotten older I don't seem to care as much as I usetacould.  That and I'm not nearly as familiar with PF as I was with 2e, 3.5 and even 4e.  Optimization wasn't ever really my bag but I could do it well.  Oddly enough, I did it most in 4e (cuz I had to have fun somehow, no?). 

Cheese is the result, not the process.

Fair.

Green Star Adept? Really? How could you? I thought we had a bond! 

It ... but it was before I met you! 

Meh, sometimes I like to play messed up stuff.  We also have this thing about taking crap and trying to make it better.  Usually doesn't work but what-evs, yanno?  And dood, that Adept totally rocked compared to that Shugenja.  You want horrible, there ya go.  Sure they get spells but it's got to be the worst spell list in the entire game, heh.

Well, I don't see why a functional character and good RP are mutually exclusive.

They don't and I'll argue with anyone who says otherwise.  What I meant by that was more that that's where I find the most fun so I don't tend to worry about mechanics all that much.  Er, sometimes.  This will probably be one of those cases.  If not, well, I'll just make something that can kick ass harder.  No biggie. 

Except there really isn't any versatility advantage, because of the two spell level difference on both sides. Look at thid level spells versus fith level spells. Yeah, by the time NPCs are throwing around kickass fifth level spells, you'll be throwing out 5d6 fireballs.

I won't be throwing any fireballs.  ;)  Actually, I don't really know what I'm gonna do spell wise just yet.  So far I've decided to pass on MM for Color Spray and that's about all I've really thought about.

I understand where you're coming from, but those lost levels are killer. You'll be functioning as a PC three levels down.

That's why it's a concern.  I realize the issue with the class but don't really care.  Like I said, I like the RP end more anyway so surviving while also contributing some is often good enough (not always, though) and I know the DM's style.  Hell, other people have run MTs in his games before and they did just fine.  Plus with the other characters in the party I should be on a comparable power level. 

And then there's this: If the character dies or I can't handle the 'suck', I can make a new dood and make it stronger.  I mean, I've got more ideas rattlin' 'round the ol' noggin and all of 'em ain't so unconcerned with da powah. 

Section Six Soldier

Sign In to post comments