Best booster draft set

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I work as a teacher and over the last year or so I've set up a smallish MTG club at our school. It's completely casual and there are decks from pretty much any era and a wide range of experience. Anyway, in a few weeks time the school has a "enrichment day" where pupils are completely off timetable and participate in an activity that is completely non-curricular, so we're going to play some magic all day.

Most of the students doing it will have played a lot, with maybe 1-2 who have never played before or not for a long time. There will be aboout 12 students. My plan is to play a few games to teach the new people the basics then move onto something more competetive. Buy a booster box and a bunch of lands (budget is arount £100), and we all draft a 40 card deck (rather than 60) and play some form of tournament/league. I and a couple of the better students can provide guidance, but none of us has really drafted before.

Anyway, my question is "What is the easiest/most fun booster box to draft at the moment". Currently I'm thinking M12 or M13 because of the lower focus on multicolour cards than the newer guild stuff.
Definitely a core set, for ease of play.
M13 was an absolute blast, I'd recommend it.
I should mention that your number of students could be a bit high. Typical drafts involve 8 players, holding three packs each, with the goal of building a 40 card deck. Each player winds up with 45 cards, and they'll typically wind up using 23 of those cards plus 17 land to build their deck. A booster box has 36 packs, so you'll barely have enough for the three packs per player with a table of 12. But add any more to the table, and you're going to need to supplement your pack supply. Also, using all the cards to draft means there aren't going to be any prizes afterwards to distribute, which may or may not be an issue. 

You probably need to avoid the RTR block sets with 12 players, too. Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash each only support five guilds, and competition over guild cards is already fierce in an 8-player table. With 12 players, nobody is going to be getting the cards they want to make their decks work well. M13 is probably your best choice, since there will be much less competition for specific cards.

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

I'd actually suggest Innistrad.  The format was tons of fun and the vast number of playable archetypes means that an oversized draft will still have everyone come out with a decent enough deck.
I'd actually suggest Innistrad.  The format was tons of fun and the vast number of playable archetypes means that an oversized draft will still have everyone come out with a decent enough deck.

That's a pretty good idea, so long as everyone is adequately briefed on how double-faced cards work. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Coldsnap.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Definitely a core set, for ease of play.
M13 was an absolute blast, I'd recommend it.

Not just no, but hell no. M13 is a bizarre draft format, to say the least, with the strongest, most reliable tactic being black/white exalted.

I say M12. My favorite M12 draft I had a small number of creatures, a little bit of red removal, 2 Volcanic Dragons, a Negate, 3 Cancels, and 4 Mana Leaks. In 3 rounds of play I had horrible, grueling matches, but took rounds 1 and 2 with best 2 out of 3. My third round opponent had Primeval Titan, Grave Titan, and 2 Cemetery Reapers and he had beaten his first two opponents like rented mules... I ROFL-stomped him, which shocked the ever livin' hell out of me.

So, I say you want a draft environment where ANY tactic has a good shot at being viable. And that isn't M13.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Sign In to post comments