Magic 2014 "Sliver Hive" Decklist and Strategies

712 posts / 0 new
Last post
think fiery justice could kill form of dragon in 4player only though? maybe...
Coat of Arms is a beast, but I'm really looking forward to using Shared Animosity in this deck. I remember using it quite a lot back when Morningtide came out and it was pretty spectacular for a 3-cost. Get ready to use that new "Attack with all" button. :p

Oh it's definitely going in my build (first attempt at least!)
Huh?

I'm not sure how there can be any debate about the playability of Armageddon in this deck - esp. among posters who claim to have been long time Magic players.

Armageddon has only been good in 3 decks:

i)  Decks full of 0-2 drops -- curve out -> Armageddon -> draw a land -> play some more while your opponent is doing nothing

ii)  Degenerate Smokestack decks

iii)  Decks with lands that can produce multiple mana and mana rocks unaffected by Armageddon (e.g. Mox Diamond) not included in ii).

A deck full of 3 - 7 (!) drops is not going to curve out to Armageddon remotely consistently and faster decks (like the Avacyn's deck) is going to render Armageddon a virtual mulligan.

Armageddon will not be included in any optimized builds of this deck.

Pssst; you're looking at real life tournament Magic, this is DotP. Further, it's been a long time since anyone combined non-Mox ramp to get fatties out prior to 'Geddon. Last proper one I can think of was Erhnamgeddon. Has to be something more recent, I'm sure, because that's ancient.  '96, in fact. wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Erhnamgedd.... That one elfed out Ernie and then popped the world. This can Rampant out some Slivers and then pop the world. Obviously this isn't going to be backed by Zuran Orb or Ivory Tower, but if the curve is kept down, Shared Animosity is in, and a little burn is used, I don't see why it wouldn't be a viable strategy.

Might be the old timers know what they're on about, eh?

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Huh?

I'm not sure how there can be any debate about the playability of Armageddon in this deck - esp. among posters who claim to have been long time Magic players.

Armageddon has only been good in 3 decks:

i)  Decks full of 0-2 drops -- curve out -> Armageddon -> draw a land -> play some more while your opponent is doing nothing

ii)  Degenerate [c]Smokestack[\c] decks

iii)  Decks with lands that can produce multiple mana and mana rocks unaffected by Armageddon (e.g. [c]Mox Diamond[\c]) not included in ii).

A deck full of 3 - 7 (!) drops is not going to curve out to Armageddon remotely consistently and faster decks (like the Avacyn's deck) is going to render Armageddon a virtual mulligan.

Armageddon will not be included in any optimized builds of this deck.

I agree with you, at least in part. The card will be playable, but it will not be at its best (specially at a three colored deck). 

The highlighted sentence is what I agree the most, because of that I'm not sure if I will use it in my build.

So I get back on (Xbox) Duels after almost 4 months. Still the same. Goblins, goblins, goblins, goblins, mill, goblins, mill, mill, goblins. 

The iPad isn't much different.

RANDOM DECK LOBBIES SON! FRACTURE THE PLAYER BASE! DOWN WITH THE STATUS QUO! 

Couldn't agree more chicken.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Any deck running 4X Predatory Sliver and 3X Hive Stirrings will have little trouble building up a pretty scary force early on. Then once 'geddon drops, it's lights out. This deck will be very annoying. The larger casting cost slivers are a red herring. It won't take players long to discover that the deck's real power is in its low drops.
Ergh armeggedon...really?

Literally just a few days ago I was looking at that card on Gatherer and thinking "lol, here's something we'll never see again".

Ugh.

This deck seems really not fun to play or play against.  Which seems to be the theme of half the decks we've seen so far (or more)...

Also, that article about why the new slivers are stupid is OTM.  Bad art, bad flavor, bad bad bad.

It's 7th Edition all over again.

I just wonder how the triggers* will be stacked with lifeline in the event that all creatures are sent to the graveyard simultaneously and your 2HG partner controls a creature with flash or undying (lol) or return another creature from exile when this creature leaves the battlefield or fool's demise. Hopefully the triggers get stacked opponent(s) creature(s) on the top of the stack (that you can wait for the trigger to fail) then flash in your own creature.

*Each creature will generate its own RTB trigger. I can just imagine the fun if the board is bloated with 1000 tokens that can't return to the battlefield but might try anyway.

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.
Dragons: Attack with creatures.
Slivers: Use Mirror Entity's ability and block, killing most creatures.
Dragons: Play Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund and steal all Slivers.

What? It could happen!

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

What? It could happen!

Lack of flying may hinder the blocking.

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.

What? It could happen!

Mirror Entity wouldn't provide flying though, nonetheless it will still be hilarious to see all the Slivers get stolen by the dragon player like this.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

What? It could happen!

Lol magic hall of fame play right there 
Somebody is going to be very dumb and activate Mirror Entity on their opponent's main phase (for reasons beyond comprehension), and that opponent is going to slam Karthus on the board for maximum hilarity. 
That Karrthus will ever be played after Mirror Entity's effect is pretty much a fact. The only question is: how long will it take? 1 month? 3 months? a year?
GofA...I like the old erhnamgeddon reference...really brings me back
GofA...I like the old erhnamgeddon reference...really brings me back

I was on the Necro side of those conflicts, but I've built Erhnamgeddon before in Shandalar, with some modifications.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Ergh armeggedon...really?

Literally just a few days ago I was looking at that card on Gatherer and thinking "lol, here's something we'll never see again".

Ugh.

This deck seems really not fun to play or play against.  Which seems to be the theme of half the decks we've seen so far (or more)...

Also, that article about why the new slivers are stupid is OTM.  Bad art, bad flavor, bad bad bad.

It's 7th Edition all over again.

I'm suprised to see such land hate in an environment which is known for having land problems. I get screwed on land so much in this game and come turn 4, if geddon drops, i'm going to concede.

I suppose it makes rites of flourish an auto include. Two lands per turn + mul daya. That should hold back armeggedon.

Just thinking about a goblins deck with land hate makes me not want to buy 2014...I will, but...Can we have the old option (from dotp 09) to block expansions and certain decks? I don't want to block every deck, just the slivers one. I've no interest of playing with or against it.

I know it's foolish to predict 'OP' pairings before we see the full deck list, but i'm guessing the ramp/eldrazi deck + slivers = win. Drop an eldrazi, drop armeggedon. Eldrazi can't be removed, swing in for annihilate 4, destroy 4 creatures. Win.      
I suppose it makes rites of flourish an auto include. Two lands per turn + mul daya. That should hold back armeggedon.

No, it makes it an auto-exclude. The last thing you want is to have more lands in play when 'Geddon hits, WHILE HELPING YOUR OPPONENT DRAW 'GEDDON. 'Geddon single-handedly changes the entire environment.

Somebody is going to be very dumb and activate Mirror Entity on their opponent's main phase (for reasons beyond comprehension), and that opponent is going to slam Karthus on the board for maximum hilarity. 

the opponent can then activate again to make all his creatures 0/0 and kill all his creatures in response for even more hilarity.

the opponent can then activate again to make all his creatures 0/0 and kill all his creatures in response for even more hilarity.

It wouldn't work if you have any of the toughness boosting slivers in play.
Oh god, 2 Armageddon...... I can already hear players crying over this (on a slivers deck no less). lol

Then you compare it to known Fireweave cards and wonder what are they smoking when making decks.
Le sigh.  There are no "known" FW cards outside the 8 or so cards we saw in Sean's official video and the cards from the convention that was even stated in an interview later on that the deck had placeholder cards in it...We know next to nothing about this deck, especially when comparing it to fully revealed decks.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

The meltdowns when it turns out the firewave deck wasn't placeholder at all will be glorius 

From the Sean video we know 10 cards from the main deck (including pilgrim's eye, which was one of the cards people wouldn't believe was in the deck and therefore thought it was placeholder), they all correspond to the deck list from Pax. We also know the first unlock is Inferno just like in the pax deck.
You could say they're still showcasing placeholder builds, but having placeholders this close to release seems strange. Also as I've said before, the only ones taking about placeholder builds are people on this forum, that was never confirmed in the interview, the guy just said that there was cards we haven't seen yet and that he didn't believe the decks in D14 was less powerfull than last years, that's hardly a confirmation.
He said they were using placeholders, not sure how that can mean anything otherwise.  So there may be Pilgrim's Eye, but probably not 4 of them.  I can't wait til it does come out and I can laugh at you instead. ;P  At least someone will be laughing, right?

Not going to be you, mind. Check the Firewave thread. :/

I get the feeling that this deck will be the final boss deck. On Sealed, Slivers should be the most consistent.
He said they were using placeholders, not sure how that can mean anything otherwise.  So there may be Pilgrim's Eye, but probably not 4 of them.  I can't wait til it does come out and I can laugh at you instead. ;P  At least someone will be laughing, right?

Haha, timing on the release of the decklist is almost to perfect.. 

The base deck actually isn't the exact same as the one we had, but they only changed the individual number of a few cards around a bit and no new cards were added.. So just like I thought (and just like the slot resets) the placeholder teory was just a pipedream all along.

Not that I'm really laughing though.. Chandra's deck was one of my favorites in D13 and look what we got now...
We can take this to the FW thread, but I really like the deck after all is said and done.  It may not be as powerful as BoF (or a strong burn deck), but it doesn't have to be as powerful to be a good deck that is still fun to play.  If some of the numbers changed then there were placeholders (as I mentioned).

We can take this to the FW thread, but I really like the deck after all is said and done.  It may not be as powerful as BoF, but it doesn't have to be to be a good deck that is still fun to play.

True that, after looking some more at the list it doesn't look terrible, the unlocks bring a lot of good stuff 

I also think this deck is going to curve out very well, I just made a build in my head that was pretty much just all the best cards and that ended out on:

1 mana cards: 8
2 mana cards: 8
3 mana cards: 9
4 mana cards: 4
5 mana cards: 3
6 mana cards: 2
x cards:           2

And there wasn't any cards in that build that I wasn't happy with (a good sign that the deck is probably all right). Plus it has lots of cards that are hella fun to play 
I know this is a newb question, but my MTG experience comes solely from the video games and I've never touched a single card in my life.

What is a Sliver, anyways?
Slivers are Magic's hive-minded swarm race. They almost destroyed the multiverse two or three times.

M14/D14 doesn't have Slivers, though. It has Predators pretending to be selfish slivers.
I had to look up Slivers a while ago and like Puzzledmint said their basically a bug like race. Blur Sliver is the only one so far that looks like the old ones.

Their Tyranids for Magic.

I don't want to be too pikcy but it's "they're" not "their" in this instance Nuke.

In any case they remind me of the Zerg from StarCraft and in fact now have Kerrigan's hairdo.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

I don't want to be too pikcy but it's "they're" not "their" in this instance Nuke.

In any case they remind me of the Zerg from StarCraft and in fact now have Kerrigan's hairdo.

Its a habit of me putting their. :P

You wouldn't believe how many times I want to correct people's spelling and grammar. Especially there/their/they're and to/too. Also, lately I've seen many people say exited when they really mean excited. I cringe a lot trying to read stuff on the internet, and because I always read things how they are grammatically presented, it will sometimes take me few re-reads to understand what the writer is trying to say. Anyway, sorry, my mini rant is over now.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

i c wut u did ther. wut iz wong weth thes gwammer?

Better? ^^

i c wut u did ther. wut iz wong weth thes gwammer?

Better? ^^

Must... not... correct... ahhh... having... stroke.

Hehe.

"Lif is too short."

u ned ta gew tooo tha doctard ef u r haven ah strok :P

If I see someone type like that on Facebook (I haven't in years) I die inside a little. :P

so im just wonder if it would be a good idea to cut all of the green outta this deck or mabye the white or maybe the red what do you guys think?
so im just wonder if it would be a good idea to cut all of the green outta this deck or mabye the white or maybe the red what do you guys think?

Nope. If you wanna play a decent number of slivers that isn't terrible, you pretty much have to play all the colors. If you really want to cut something red is probably the easiest color to take out.
Sign In to post comments