Magic 2014 "Sliver Hive" Decklist and Strategies

712 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I was playing with this deck today to test my list for Neb's Tournament. One of my matches was against this random dude. I played Predatory Sliver turn 2 and 3 (with no land on turn 3. Keep that in mind), when I saw the chat icon bliking. The guy was saying I should feel bad because Sliver decks are cheap. I told him that it's actually the worst deck in the game (my opinion here. But it's an overall consensus that it's in the bottom 3). He then told me I shouldn't blame the deck for my bad skills, while I failed to draw a single land the entire game and he proceeded to beat me with his 70-card, "I run Ring of Three Wishes" version of AG.

So, my question is: who's the crazy guy, me or my fellow opponent?

I hate losing to that card... it guarantees them their Angelic Overseer and victory follows shortly thereafter. Sure it takes like 68 turns to get there, but AG is so stacked that it can get away with $hit like that.

I really believe that "that guy" thinks Slivers are cheap; and losing to "that guy" really, really, hurts. 

It was a really sad moment for me. The really bad part was that I had great hand, and would have won that easily if I only could draw some lands...

Well, maybe it was for the best. If I had won, the guy would be telling all his friends that Slivers are OP and he couldn't beat it even with Ring of Three Wishes in play.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

So, I was playing with this deck today to test my list for Neb's Tournament. One of my matches was against this random dude. I played Predatory Sliver turn 2 and 3 (with no land on turn 3. Keep that in mind), when I saw the chat icon bliking. The guy was saying I should feel bad because Sliver decks are cheap. I told him that it's actually the worst deck in the game (my opinion here. But it's an overall consensus that it's in the bottom 3). He then told me I shouldn't blame the deck for my bad skills, while I failed to draw a single land the entire game and he proceeded to beat me with his 70-card, "I run Ring of Three Wishes" version of AG.

You obviously.
Who plays a Predatory two turns in a row?

Cheap ass ****.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

You obviously.
Who plays a Predatory two turns in a row?

Cheap ass ****.

Maybe you're right. Another match today: On the play, I go Striking Sliver turn 1, Predatory Turn 2. The guy sends me a message - "gg" and quits. Seems like Slivers are not only cheap, but scary too.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

BRUZ1 doesn't post much, but his Sliver build was awesome. I tweaked it post-promo, and here's where I'm at:

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse" cellspacing="0" border="0">

"Hakeem928"

A library for the Slivers 2014 deck (Sliver Hive)

60 Cards. 36 nonlands (21 creatures, 15 spells). 24 Lands (5 6 9; 4 other).

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #a15044; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 4 cards 
 Land ■■■■ Terramorphic Expanse  Land 
   cost  8 cards 
 Creature ■■ Striking Sliver  1/1   
 Spell ■■■ Path to Exile   
■■■ Shock   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature ■■■■ Predatory Sliver  1/1   
 Spell  Survival of the Fittest   
   cost  13 cards 
 Creature ■■■■ Blur Sliver  2/2   
 Mirror Entity  1/1   
■■■ Steelform Sliver  2/2   
 Spell ■■ Fiery Justice   
■■■ Hive Stirrings   
   cost  5 cards 
 Creature ■■ Bonescythe Sliver  2/2   
 Spell ■■■ Faith's Fetters   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Thorncaster Sliver  2/2   
   cost  2 cards 
 Creature ■■ Megantic Sliver  3/3   

erdana; font-size:9px">Read about MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.
Open this library in the planner.

erdana">Sideboard (35 cards)
   2x Armageddon
   3x Battle Sliver
   2x Bifurcate
   1x Coat of Arms
   4x Cultivate
   2x Groundshaker Sliver
   3x Indestructibility
   3x Lifeline
   1x Megantic Sliver
   3x Rampant Growth
   1x Savage Beating
   1x Shared Animosity
   3x Sliver Construct
   2x Titanic Ultimatum
   2x Unflinching Courage
   2x Wild Pair

Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x Faith's Fetters
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Inferno
   1x Mirror Entity
   1x Shared Animosity

BRUZ1 doesn't post much, but his Sliver build was awesome. I tweaked it post-promo, and here's where I'm at:

"Hakeem928"

erdana; font-size:12px; border:1px solid #a15044; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 4 cards 
   cost  8 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Path to Exile   
■■■ Shock   
   cost  5 cards 
   cost  13 cards 
 Mirror Entity  1/1   
 Spell ■■ Fiery Justice   
■■■ Hive Stirrings   
   cost  5 cards 
   cost  3 cards 
   cost  2 cards 

2x Armageddon
   3x Battle Sliver
   2x Bifurcate
   1x Coat of Arms
   4x Cultivate
   2x Groundshaker Sliver
   3x Indestructibility
   3x Lifeline
   1x Megantic Sliver
   3x Rampant Growth
   1x Savage Beating
   1x Shared Animosity
   3x Sliver Construct
   2x Titanic Ultimatum
   2x Unflinching Courage
   2x Wild Pair

Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x Faith's Fetters
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Inferno
   1x Mirror Entity
   1x Shared Animosity

I have the trio of Rampant Growths and the third Megantic Sliver instead of an Expanse, a Shock, a Stirrings and a Fetters. How's the mana working for you?

Actually, really, really well... I can't take credit, because it's BRUZ's manabase, so I have to say "just try it". I did, and I was impressed.

I'm not saying the deck is top-tier or anything, but it runs quite nicely this way. 

"Hakeem928"

Land 4 cards 
   cost  8 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Path to Exile   
■■■ Shock   
   cost  5 cards 
   cost  13 cards 
 Mirror Entity  1/1   
 Spell ■■ Fiery Justice   
■■■ Hive Stirrings   
   cost  5 cards 
   cost  3 cards 
   cost  2 cards 

2x Armageddon
   3x Battle Sliver
   2x Bifurcate
   1x Coat of Arms
   4x Cultivate
   2x Groundshaker Sliver
   3x Indestructibility
   3x Lifeline
   1x Megantic Sliver
   3x Rampant Growth
   1x Savage Beating
   1x Shared Animosity
   3x Sliver Construct
   2x Titanic Ultimatum
   2x Unflinching Courage
   2x Wild Pair

Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x Faith's Fetters
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Inferno
   1x Mirror Entity
   1x Shared Animosity

I have the trio of Rampant Growths and the third Megantic Sliver instead of an Expanse, a Shock, a Stirrings and a Fetters. How's the mana working for you?

Question is, how it's working out for you.  Tongue Out

Show

Question is, how it's working out for you. 

LoL, yeah, I still fail to draw lands here and there, but it can happen with any deck.

Actually, really, really well... I can't take credit, because it's BRUZ's manabase, so I have to say "just try it". I did, and I was impressed.

I'm not saying the deck is top-tier or anything, but it runs quite nicely this way. 

I might try it if my latest attempt ends in failure. I'm still a little about running a tri-color deck without goods ways to fix my mana. Reminds me of DotP'12

I run something like this: 

"2HG Slivers"

60 Cards. 36 nonlands (23 creatures, 13 spells). 24 Lands (7 7 6; 4 other).

Land 4 cards 
   cost  3 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Path to Exile   
   cost  4 cards 
   cost  18 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Blur Sliver  2/2   
 Mirror Entity  1/1   
 Spell ■■■ Cultivate   
■■ Fiery Justice   
■■■ Hive Stirrings   
 Shared Animosity   
   cost  2 cards 
   cost  6 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Battle Sliver  3/3   
■■■ Thorncaster Sliver  2/2   
   cost  3 cards 
 Creature ■■■ Megantic Sliver  3/3   

erdana">Sideboard (37 cards)
   2x Armageddon
   2x Bifurcate
   1x Blur Sliver
   1x Coat of Arms
   1x Cultivate
   3x Faith's Fetters
   2x Groundshaker Sliver
   3x Indestructibility
   3x Lifeline
   3x Rampant Growth
   1x Savage Beating
   3x Shock
   3x Sliver Construct
   2x Striking Sliver
   1x Survival of the Fittest
   2x Titanic Ultimatum
   2x Unflinching Courage
   2x Wild Pair

Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x Faith's Fetters
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Inferno
   1x Mirror Entity
   1x Shared Animosity

I certainly wouldn't call Slivers cheap or OP, but I think this deck deserves more credit in 1v1.  In about 25 random matches with and against it's my 3rd best performing deck (behind AG and MM, ahead of DW and GL) and my oppenent's 2nd best performing deck against me (only behind AG).  Ya, they're small sample sizes and my oppenents have all been randoms on Steam, but it's been solid for me.
Oh sorry I thought it was Hakeem who lost to the "slivers are OP" guy and was wondering why he doesnt use Rampant Growth, but it was actually felbatista.
Oh sorry I thought it was Hakeem who lost to the "slivers are OP" guy and was wondering why he doesnt use Rampant Growth, but it was actually felbatista.

Yeah, go figure. Maybe that's the secret...

"Hakeem928"

Land 4 cards 
   cost  8 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Path to Exile   
■■■ Shock   
   cost  5 cards 
   cost  13 cards 
 Mirror Entity  1/1   
 Spell ■■ Fiery Justice   
■■■ Hive Stirrings   
   cost  5 cards 
   cost  3 cards 
   cost  2 cards 

2x Armageddon
   3x Battle Sliver
   2x Bifurcate
   1x Coat of Arms
   4x Cultivate
   2x Groundshaker Sliver
   3x Indestructibility
   3x Lifeline
   1x Megantic Sliver
   3x Rampant Growth
   1x Savage Beating
   1x Shared Animosity
   3x Sliver Construct
   2x Titanic Ultimatum
   2x Unflinching Courage
   2x Wild Pair

Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x Faith's Fetters
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Inferno
   1x Mirror Entity
   1x Shared Animosity

I run this exact list -2x Megantic and +2x Battle.  I also have 1 less Mountain for 1 more Plains, so 5F, 7P, 8M.  It has been working great for me so far.  I feel Battle is better than Megantic since you can get it out earlier and when I almost always have double strike, first strike, or thorncaster having the extra defense isn't usually a concern by that point in the game.  I plan on replacing the 2x Battle with the 1x Entity and 1x Fetters as we get them.  I have also yet to have any land problems in this deck outside of being flooded one time...but that was just the random crapshoot anyone gets in any deck from time to time.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Am I the only one that quoted mobius just to see what the hell he did with the formating?

I have no idea what's going on up there. 
I have no idea what's going on up there. 

Well, you could at least try to fix it, since you're the only one that can do it.

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Someone has shoved me into a small, narrow tube thread!

Show

1...2...3...Fixing...

A library for the Slivers 2014 deck (Sliver Hive)60 Cards. 37 nonlands (22 creatures, 15 spells). 23 Lands (7 6 6; 4 other).

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left; border-width:1px; border-color:#a15044; border-style:solid" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 4 cards 
   cost  8 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Path to Exile   
■■■ Shock   
   cost  8 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Rampant Growth   
 Survival of the Fittest   
   cost  13 cards 
 Mirror Entity  1/1   
 Spell ■■ Fiery Justice   
■■■ Hive Stirrings   
   cost  2 cards 
   cost  6 cards 

erdana; font-size:9px; padding:0px">Read about MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.

Sideboard (34 cards)
   2x Armageddon
   2x Bifurcate
   1x Coat of Arms
   4x Cultivate
   3x Faith's Fetters
   2x Groundshaker Sliver
   3x Indestructibility
   3x Lifeline
   3x Megantic Sliver
   1x Savage Beating
   1x Shared Animosity
   3x Sliver Construct
   2x Titanic Ultimatum
   2x Unflinching Courage
   2x Wild Pair

Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x Faith's Fetters
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Inferno
   1x Mirror Entity
   1x Shared Animosity

I saw a Slivers list fight through multiple Bonfire of the Damneds and Angel of Serenitys to top 8 FNM last night (where it immediately lost...not to me) which reignited my desire to tweak this deck again. 

Granted, we don't have saucy stuff like Manaweft Sliver, the Flying/Lifelink/Vigilance slivers, Door of Destiniess, and Mutavault, but I'm trying to capture the spirit of it in Duels land the best I can, which began with (*sigh*) finally parting ways with Armageddon.

Steelform Sliver is in, credited for the role of "lack of a better cheaper-option Sliver". Megantic Sliver is out because in a world without Bonfires and real mana-acceleration outside of Rampant Growth, I don't think we need the +3 on the behind. Maybe it saved you from a Flamebreak or the like once, but whatever. 

Faith's Fetters is also out because with this new update, I'm just not really feeling 4-mana removal spells, and the lifegain is rarely relevant. Aggressive use of Shock has been functioning fine thusfar. 

Also, that mjack guy is the new best builder and theorist on the boards. Great job guy!
THERE!

Also, there's a new champ in the best deckbuilder tourney. Go to the Chant thread.  

A library for the Slivers 2014 deck (Sliver Hive)60 Cards. 37 nonlands (22 creatures, 15 spells). 23 Lands (7 6 6; 4 other).

erdana; font-size:12px; border-collapse:collapse; text-align:left; border-width:1px; border-color:#a15044; border-style:solid" cellspacing="0" border="0">
 Land 4 cards 
   cost  8 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Path to Exile   
■■■ Shock   
   cost  8 cards 
 Spell ■■■ Rampant Growth   
 Survival of the Fittest   
   cost  13 cards 
 Mirror Entity  1/1   
 Spell ■■ Fiery Justice   
■■■ Hive Stirrings   
   cost  2 cards 
   cost  6 cards 

erdana; font-size:9px; padding:0px">Read about MysteriousMisterP's deck planner.

Sideboard (34 cards)
   2x Armageddon
   2x Bifurcate
   1x Coat of Arms
   4x Cultivate
   3x Faith's Fetters
   2x Groundshaker Sliver
   3x Indestructibility
   3x Lifeline
   3x Megantic Sliver
   1x Savage Beating
   1x Shared Animosity
   3x Sliver Construct
   2x Titanic Ultimatum
   2x Unflinching Courage
   2x Wild Pair

Locked promos (5 cards)
   1x Faith's Fetters
   1x Indestructibility
   1x Inferno
   1x Mirror Entity
   1x Shared Animosity

I saw a Slivers list fight through multiple Bonfire of the Damneds and Angel of Serenitys to top 8 FNM last night (where it immediately lost...not to me) which reignited my desire to tweak this deck again. 

Granted, we don't have saucy stuff like Manaweft Sliver, the Flying/Lifelink/Vigilance slivers, Door of Destiniess, and Mutavault, but I'm trying to capture the spirit of it in Duels land the best I can, which began with (*sigh*) finally parting ways with Armageddon.

Steelform Sliver is in, credited for the role of "lack of a better cheaper-option Sliver". Megantic Sliver is out because in a world without Bonfires and real mana-acceleration outside of Rampant Growth, I don't think we need the +3 on the behind. Maybe it saved you from a Flamebreak or the like once, but whatever. 

Faith's Fetters is also out because with this new update, I'm just not really feeling 4-mana removal spells, and the lifegain is rarely relevant. Aggressive use of Shock has been functioning fine thusfar. 

Also, that mjack guy is the new best builder and theorist on the boards. Great job guy!

Almost the same as mine except I don't run Battle Sliver I run the Fetters in their place and I have less Steelform.

Steelform isn't great, but you need some type of back-end boost or you'll be trading in combat all day long; it's why I run the Megantics over the Battles, but honestly that slot could go either way. mobius is running 23 land, so six-drops aren't as consistent there.

I still like the "all-in on removal" approach of BRUZ's build, though. 
Steelform isn't great, but you need some type of back-end boost or you'll be trading in combat all day long; it's why I run the Megantics over the Battles, but honestly that slot could go either way. mobius is running 23 land, so six-drops aren't as consistent there.

I still like the "all-in on removal" approach of BRUZ's build, though. 

Only have one Steelform in mine but its coming out for the second Entity

Can someone help me make a 2HG Sliver deck that is stronger late game?  Ancient Wilds was one of my favorite decks for Duels 2013 and Wild Pair one of my favorite cards, so it would be cool if that was included.

Is the ramp even necessary in a slower build of this deck?  There doesn't seem to be a lot of great high mana cost cards.
I got a pretty good setup for 2hg but its not for the feint? of heart.  Basically team with aruas and run nothing but dudes in the sliver deck.  Maximizing survival of the fittest and weird ace cards like savage beating, shared animosity, and coat of arms.  Play double strike dude same turn teamate puts a fat flying arua on a sliver token and just win baby!!  Alot of people like to load up on single target removal in 2hg and just can't keep up with the pressure an all dude deck puts out..

For some reason I been doing this alot with the tribaldecks in 2hg just being crazy and removing removals and maxxing the tribe effects.  All zombie/no control deck maxxing lords and 4cost enchants effects with full control dimir and all sliver deck with heavy aruas are really fun lately

sorta like speccing in an mmo instead of having 2 jack of all trades teaming up have 1 dude specialize in maxing his tribal effects and the other dude either controling other side of board or pumping our side or just plain faceburning..
Wild pair is just iffy in this deck...it takes some serious planning to use even remotely well, and any unplanned deaths among your slivers will wreck your chances of pulling the creature you need, so probably best to not try and make a deck around it, sorry.
Bobtheratkillr: DeadWalkers doesn't operate well as an aggro deck.
Wild pair is just iffy in this deck...it takes some serious planning to use even remotely well, and any unplanned deaths among your slivers will wreck your chances of pulling the creature you need, so probably best to not try and make a deck around it, sorry.

I agree with you 100%. Too many slivers that alter p/t which is recognized at time of trigger.
I'm running a mix between the Mobius and BRUZ build. All in on removal, all in on low cost Slivers, no Rampants. I opt for Megantic over Battle at the high end. Only other non-removal non-creature spell I have is Survival of the Fittest aka Let's Get a Mirror Entity Out, usually.

I've been going back and forth on taking out the Rampants and having them in. With enough low cost Slivers, it seems lacking them doesn't really hurt the progression, but mana fixing is an issue and it becomes less consistent relying only on Terramorphics. The loose colour costing of the Slivers and removal make it more viable, but I need to play around with it more. I'll try removing Fetters for the Rampants and see if I miss them.
I'd rather Fetters than Rampants, and I agree on Megantic over Battle. Fetters shuts down the activated abilities of the non-land permanent you put it on, so it's much more than just Pacifism (take that, Dragon Roost!).

I don't have any mana issues with this deck running 9-6-5 plus 4 fetches as in Bruz's initial build.
Megantic is basically your only hope against FW. I don't know if that's relevant for any of you, but...

I'm running Rampants over Steelforms and Megantics over Battles.  I find I need the rampants for consistent mana fixing, and they help get the Thorncasters and Megantics out a little earlier.
I'd rather Fetters than Rampants, and I agree on Megantic over Battle. Fetters shuts down the activated abilities of the non-land permanent you put it on, so it's much more than just Pacifism (take that, Dragon Roost!). I don't have any mana issues with this deck running 9-6-5 plus 4 fetches as in Bruz's initial build.

Faith's Fetters work on any permanent Take that Eye of Ugin. I prefer Cultivate over Rampant Growth and dont run fetters. But that is for 2HG which sways to slower control recently I see.
Is it just me or is this the new worst deck in the game? I seriously cannot do anything with it. Before the promos, I did amazing things running a W/G version but with the promos and me putting in R it doesn't work.
Is it just me or is this the new worst deck in the game? I seriously cannot do anything with it. Before the promos, I did amazing things running a W/G version but with the promos and me putting in R it doesn't work.

As much as I love what the decks are trying to do (dragon tribal and Green beatdown), I have to say EtD and HS are worse than this deck right now.

I agree with Fel, but it's pretty close. HS is the worst, and these two are fighting over that ninth spot.
I still like my g/w build... just saying. :P Though sometimes I think a light splash of red might be ok. But I enjoy the way my deck runs regardless of power level.
Mass Haste and Thorncaster are too good to pass up, and an early Shock really helps against your opponent's Champion draws.

To each his own.
Mass Haste and Thorncaster are too good to pass up, and an early Shock really helps against your opponent's Champion draws. To each his own.

Lol. It wasn't those that made me put Red back in :P It was Titanic Ultimatum
Hi, Timmy, nice to meet you!

Seriously, though, are you Strolling me?
Sign In to post comments