Magic 2014 "Sliver Hive" Decklist and Strategies

712 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Thanks Sean and please give us the RELEASE DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Thanks Sean!
Suped pumped, just like when  I found out there was gonna be a dedicated goblin deck. Hope slivers don't wind up the same way...
Armageddon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Haha...can't see the actual slivers, however, just wanna say

[C]ARMAGEDDON [/C]

Even without the gemhides, that's an auto include, just to piss people off.
Yep, list seems crazy good.. Even has enough removal and overall utility cards that you could probably make it a pretty good control deck, if you wanted to.
Holy jesus this deck looks powerful.  Crazy creature synergy, ramp, great removal...  I get a feeling that I may be seeing half my matches be against slivers in 1v1 unless random deck mode comes through.
Oh god, 2 Armageddon...... I can already hear players crying over this (on a slivers deck no less). lol
hehe Armagenddon is gonna be a lot of fun.
I really hope that behind all the hype and "omg Slivers/Eldrazi/Dragons" WotC actually did a good job of balancing the decks this year too. I'm really itching to play with Dimir and the other decks to see how good they actually are.
LoL at Survival of the Fittest. Strange that there isn't any Coat of Arms.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

No non-M14 slivers.

Just saying.
LoL at Survival of the Fittest. Strange that there isn't any Coat of Arms.

I guess the Coat might accidentally help the opponent too, so they played it safe and went with Shared Animosity..

I get the feeling coat is just a bit overkill :P
Looks like ill be playing Khalni Heart Expedition seeing that Armageddon will be played almost indefinitely.
No doubt.
From the decklists we have so far, I sorely doubt that what we've seen to be Chandra's deck is the real deal. If it is, there is absolutely no way it could possibly manage any of the decks.
Wait a second, if we have these current deck list, why don't they go up on the Deck Building Tool. Kind of want to start constructing my deckbuilds already and seeing what people have to say about it.
No non-M14 slivers.

Just saying.

Just a regular day at the Dotp office:

"Okay, so we can't put the old slivers in the deck.."
"No, the players wouldn't understand cards doing different things, they're like babies you know?"
"Yeah..."
"But if it's old cards you want in the deck, how about these armageddons and other legacy cards I got laying around?"
"Perfect! As long as they're old cards, all the grumpy players on the Dotp board will be happy and maybe will stop getting all these emails.."

lolwut

Seriously? Two 'Geddon, three Lifeline because Slivers weren't already really good against non-mass removal, and Survival of the Fittest? Really?

Welp, back to being seriously on the fence about even getting 2014. Slivers are ridiculous enough without 'Geddon. Not to mention we've seen half the decks and the only way to stop a 'Geddon so far is one lone counterspell and some discard effects. MotD may end up being one of the better decks, just because it can actually stop the shenanigans of CMD (Duskmantle Seer) and this silly thing. I'm not too keen on how Sealed has been implemented either. I strongly suspect if I get 2014 it will just be because of anything new the mod community can do with it.

As if I didn't already hate Slivers.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Jebus this deck looks so crazy and I can't fully remember what all the new slivers are!
Did someone say Armageddon because this deck sure is bringing it.

Also in teh article I noticed they said there are 30 unlocks yet pics have shown 40 unlocks so I think that is more proof taht teh promos are more unlocks like before. 

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

Armageddon will only really help this deck if it can establish a better board position before the other player, with how the new slivers are not actually unexpensive, this won't be as easy.
It also sucks real hard if the opponent sneaks some instant removal under you Geddon and change the board position in their favor before lands go bye bye.
Liliana's deck had better bloody well have Tsabo's Decree available somewhere. I knew Slivers were either going to be pathetically underpowered or ridiculously overdone. There's no other way to do them. They're everything that's wrong with Tribal decks. My only solace is that there will be a wave of noobs with hundred card decks who should have slim chances of getting those Armageddons or, even better, who took them out not realising how silly good they are.

Not a lot of cheap answers to four random Slivers when all your land was just wiped. Terminus being the best, or a pre-existing Propaganda, Ghostly Prison, Windborn Muse, or Collective Restraint style effect. Ugh. Just ugh. The one good thing I can say is that at least 'Geddon can teach new players the idea of holding back land to bluff/in case of 'Geddon is a good thing.

Assuming they learn and don't just get their lands needlessly nuked a bunch. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I can actually envision MotD deck doing quite well against this deck, with Last Gasp taking care of almost any sliver.
Liliana's deck had better bloody well have Tsabo's Decree available somewhere. I knew Slivers were either going to be pathetically underpowered or ridiculously overdone. There's no other way to do them. They're everything that's wrong with Tribal decks. My only solace is that there will be a wave of noobs with hundred card decks who should have slim chances of getting those Armageddons or, even better, who took them out not realising how silly good they are.

Not a lot of cheap answers to four random Slivers when all your land was just wiped. Terminus being the best, or a pre-existing Propaganda, Ghostly Prison, Windborn Muse, or Collective Restraint style effect. Ugh. Just ugh. The one good thing I can say is that at least 'Geddon can teach new players the idea of holding back land to bluff/in case of 'Geddon is a good thing.

Assuming they learn and don't just get their lands needlessly nuked a bunch. 

I think you're overestimating these new slivers. It's almost like you have a thrauma with the little buggers. With the new slivers having much higher CMCs and the deck being filled with lots of other non-creature cards I don't see SH building a strong early presence consistently enough for a T4 Geddon.
Liliana's deck had better bloody well have Tsabo's Decree available somewhere. 

I don't think any card with "choose a creature type" is going to show up in a DotP game...

Also, aren't you overreacting a little bit? I mean, the deck is good but 4x Last Gasps are terrible news for the Slivers.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Wooooo!  That is one hell of a decklist!  This should be an interesting year for DotP. ;)

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

There's a pretty decent ramp package here, a whole one Rampant Growth off of the ramp package that powered MM. Admittedly this has less Mythic creatures, and if you plan on using Geddon, you might be better off holding the land Cultivate puts in your hand there until after, but yeah.

So far as "trauma", I've seen (admittedly generally cheaper) Slivers + Geddon in action before. It's not pretty.

Actually, this has a technically better ramp package if you're willing to Path one of your own dudes, possibly a Hive Stirrings token. So yeah.

Any modders want to tool this thing up and see how it does vs. 2013?

EDIT: So far as "choose a creature type", it's not at all difficult. Modders have done it in a somewhat clunky fashion (set to default of the creature type you're playing) with "previous" and "next" options, but a UI menu with a list of creature types in the Duels series would take maybe a good twenty minutes to implement. MODO does a similar interface, and you can type the first few letters to have it zoom in on the most applicable creature type. 

best deck since realm of illusions, seems like tier one for sure, guarentee it actually
Anyone find it funny that near the bottem of the article the person says all of the Duels had only current set cards and none of the old ones. That was a complete lie or they were just misinformed.

best deck since realm of illusions, seems like tier one for sure, guarentee it actually

I'm trying to hold off on calling it the new GG, but I need proof before I start spouting that claim. Well, GG that may have to worry about colour screw sometimes, which is a slight mercy, but still.

Ya...I don't know if it will be quite GG, but it certainly doesn't look bad and one could argue it might be the strongest 2014 deck we have seen released atm.  GG would stomp this deck into the ground like it did any other deck though, lol.  I think the 3-color thing will make it a little less powerful than it looks, but again...it still looks very powerful. ;P

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

This deck for sure is trolling the balance, rest of showed decks are quite medicore compared to this.

I want to see this slivers so i can stop panic.
This deck for sure is trolling the balance, rest of showed deck are quite medicore compared to this.

You don't think 4x Torch Fiend and 4x Pilgrim's Eye will get the job done agaisnt Slivers?  
Ya...I don't know if it will be quite GG, but it certainly doesn't look bad and one could argue it might be the strongest 2014 deck we have seen released atm.  GG would stomp this deck into the ground like it did any other deck though, lol.  I think the 3-color thing will make it a little less powerful than it looks, but again...it still looks very powerful. ;P

Not to sure about that, the removal in this deck kills goblins dead. Cards like Fiery Justice, Shock, Path to exile and Faith's Fetters would be very hard to deal with for GG. The deck also has a good deal of first and double strikers, which works wonders against goblins.
Is this serious?
I have real concerns about the balance of this game. Maybe they have gone back to the "Tiered" system of 2012?
I guess we have to wait and see how powerful this decks really turns out. It looks devastating on paper though...

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

At a first glance, i was shocked about it, because people hyperventilate about this deck (Armageddon Hurr durr), but i see some weaknesses:
Many cards cost 3+ mana, so it isn't fast. It have zero carddraw and need 3 different colors. So i don't think we will see tons of slivers on the battlefield, foremost if an deck have removal at best massremoval. Armageddon is useful if you have the boardposition against other decks, if not, It's useless, foremost if the opponent know this card. I'm afraid about Lifeline, for me, this card is totally imba, but i'm happy, that this deck have not that removal to get benefit from this card. But it's extreme because it gets it's own slivers back.
Good point about this being a three-color deck.. calmed me down a bit after seeing the decklist.  Some of your hand will necessarily be taken up by color fixing/ramp since there's no dual lands, and since there's not a lot of draw that leaves less spaces (especially minus those crazy powerful spells) to actually get 3+ Slivers in play so things get scary.  Although now I'm curious to see how well it plays with one of the colors (white?) taken out, so you can just spam the board with Slivers..

EDIT: So far as "choose a creature type", it's not at all difficult. Modders have done it in a somewhat clunky fashion (set to default of the creature type you're playing) with "previous" and "next" options, but a UI menu with a list of creature types in the Duels series would take maybe a good twenty minutes to implement. MODO does a similar interface, and you can type the first few letters to have it zoom in on the most applicable creature type. 

This UI menu takes 20 minutes to implement and 20 minutes to find the type you want every time you play the card

What MODO does is good, but typing is not a good option with consoles in the mix, especially when you have timers in the game.

I'm not saying it can't be done, or that would be hard. I just think it's hard to figure a good interface for it that is simple and doesn't take forever to use.

Now I'm thinking more about 'Geddon in this deck. 'Geddon is at its best in fast aggro decks. What's the fastest start this deck has? I think it's Striking into Predatory into Blur (2/2 First Strike attacking on turn 2, 2 2/2 and a 3/3, all first strikers, attacking on turn 3). A Last Gasp on turn 2 and something on turn 3 and your board is too weak to 'Geddon your opponent out of the game. If "something" is a discard spell or another removal, things will be even worse.

Now, by playing 'Geddon, you're basically ignoring some very good mid to late game options this deck has, like Megantic Sliver and Mirror Entity.

I know it's too early to say anything concrete, but I foresee two ways to build this deck: a fast aggro deck (with 'Geddon and very few expensive cards) and a midrange beatdown deck (without 'Geddon and with good, more expensive card instead). The deck has only 1 good 1-drop and 2 good 2-drops, so I'll probably play with the midrange version first...

Sign In to post comments